My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

The symptoms were quite severe. One of the ‘needles’ had left the housing and blocked one of the 3 mechanisms on the clutch. When ever the motor was working I had no free wheeling any more. Nearly kicked me of my bike because the motor is so powerful…

So I'm been having a pretty frustrating time with Frey's customer service over the past few days and interested to know what others' experience has been with them when their bike has arrived damaged.

A few days ago, my bike (AM1000) finally arrived after 6 months (longest was supposed to be 5, but I understand things may have slowed down to due to Covid), and it arrived with a damaged frame. I didn't notice it until after I took the bike out of the box, but there were two parallel holes in the middle of the box, which I'm assuming is from where a fork lift drove into it. And the dent/scratches are pretty significant, so significant that I can't even get the battery to slide in to its slot.

So I'm pretty bummed since this has taken over six months to get here, and I contact Frey (Cecilia is the rep I've been dealing with) to let them know the bike is damaged and send them pictures of the bike.

First reply: "How is the packing? Please contact Fedex."

I ask them if it's insured, and say it could have been mishandled anywhere along the way (because they use a Chinese shipper to the US)

Again "Please call Fedex. We will follow it at our end."

So I contact Fedex, they of course tell me they need to talk to the shipper and that they're not even allowed to tell me anything because of how the label was created.

So I tell Cecilia and her response is "how is the battery?" It's only the frame that's damaged, which I again tell her, and her only reply is to send her pictures of the battery... I send her the pictures and her only reply is "how is the battery packing?"

So after back and forth, she finally begins to address the frame. She asks if I can bend it back into place because they don't want to send me another frame since it would have to be assembled, and if I'm able to fix it on my own they will send me "other thing" as compensation.

I ask if they can just send a new frame and cover the cost of a local bike store to switch the components from this old frame to a new one. In addition, I have reservations about "bending it back into place" given structural integrity issues, and it's already lost value in being significantly marred, so I'd like to know exactly how much they'll refund me if I spend the time to bend it back into place.

She doesn't answer the question and her only reply is to let her know if I fix it, and to use a hammer and towel to knock it back into place (which is ridiculous because this isn't just going to "pop out)."

I'm pretty frustrated at this point, but I just want to use this bike and not wait another *** months for a new frame to arrive! So I set about trying to use some C clamps I have lying around with a couple blocks of wood to try to press it out. And good lord is it strong (not so worried about integrity issues now lol). My roommate and I work at it for an hour, and totally destroy one of my C clamps because of the torque and the dent is still not budging. And the battery is still not able to bend into place. I'm boiling at this point, but I figure I can buy a couple of larger heavy duty C clamps and press it out.

I update Cecilia, and again ask her what my options are regarding a new frame being shipped and assembled by an LBS here, or reimbursing me for this bent frame. Her reply? "I need to check it and tell you. Please let me know whether you can repair the frame." I ask her to let me know ASAP, and she again only replies please let me know whether I can repair the frame. I honestly feel like I'm talking to a bot at this point and that I'm getting the runaround.

Sorry this is so long, but I'm pissed at this point and feel like what's going to happen is that I spend half a day getting this bend out and they send me some stupid swag in compensation. Has anyone else had this issue with their bike arriving damaged?

tl;dr-Paid over $4,000 for a Frey AM-1000, frame arrived bent, still unable to slide battery pack in as a result, and customer service has been garbage.

InkedInkedPXL_20211111_011336536_LI.jpg
PXL_20211111_002453965.jpg
PXL_20211112_123812725.jpg

I do not have a Frey but I, like others, will have a hard time seeing what you are trying to fix. Can you take more pictures. Like a side view and top view with other parts (top tube, bottom bracket, head tube, etc…..) of the bike visible? May help with someone coming up with a solution for your issue.

I will tell you at this point I’d tell them to send you a new frame and compensation for the bike shop to swap everything over. Maybe while your waiting for replies it would be worth doing the homework to get a price from the local bike shop? For me, I’d look into what, if any special tools are needed and just do it myself. What a great way to learn the in and outs of an ebike you just purchased. Not ideal in a perfect world but a great way to get to know it.

That sucks you have to deal with this. Crazy that some inconsiderate jerk screwed up the whole process by just not paying attention. That is why I always say, “every single job matters!!!” No matter how big or small……if someone doesn’t do their part correctly this is what happens. I respect all workers for their part in life.

Good luck.

Tom

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the reply. Here are other before and after photos. The dent is located on the side of the downtube, and it because it's inward, it was keeping the battery from clicking into place. I managed to get a good portion of the dent out with a C-clamp and some blocks of wood, but the bending back and forth has caused some of the paint to chip, and it's not exactly straight. The battery is at least able to slide and lock into place now (with some force) and I can use it. There's still tension on the battery though, and I'm going to try and get more of the dent out this weekend. I called my LBS and they said it would be $250 to take down and reassemble the bike on to a new frame. I would usually very happily and enthusiastically do it myself, but I'm in school and unfortunately don't have the time to youtube it and figure it out. :)

They've switched from Cecilia to Grace, but I still just keep getting asked if I fixed it and haven't been given any options one way or another.

We'll see how this all turns out.

Attachments

• PXL_20211112_123812725 (1).jpg
    PXL_20211112_123812725 (1).jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 2,559
  • PXL_20211112_123901518.jpg
    PXL_20211112_123901518.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 2,559
  • PXL_20211117_210803588.jpg
    PXL_20211117_210803588.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 2,559
  • PXL_20211117_210809094.jpg
    PXL_20211117_210809094.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 2,559
  • PXL_20211117_210819227.jpg
    PXL_20211117_210819227.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 2,559
The box looks like it went through hell! Mine arrived with scuffed tape at the corners but otherwise intact. I was so anxious I met the FedEx driver at the back of their truck, with a loading cart.

Did you have to sign for that? (If you did... well...)

Was the shipping paid DDP? If so, the dealer is liable until it ships & then the shipper owes them if anything goes wrong. (Soooo they may wish to avoid paying for shipping damages until they've been reimbursed for them...?)

Very unfortunate that Frey has left you in purgatory on any possibility of like-replacement. Even though this is a shipping issue more than a warranty issue, I would hope they could send you a front frame for just the cost of shipping.

My first instinct on "bending the frame back into shape" is 'hell no!' 'That's insanely unsafe!' ... but looking at your photos & thinking about mods which cut that section off entirely, I'd say... if you can get it to where it's not stressing the battery then maybe just maybe the frame is not a total loss... for low impact duty?

The rear triangle on the AM1000 is fairly unique, but a few other "brands" have a - uh - very similar looking main frame... (ahem) Frey seems to have produced at least three different revisions of the AM1000 frame, so I've no idea what the quality might be of any other "brand" frames that would fit.

Even if Frey never gets you a proper replacement frame, there's a lot of money tied up in all the other components.

Throwing money at the problem, you could upgrade to that shiny titanium frame, that's made for the Ultra?

machuni said:
Hi Tom,

Thanks for the reply. Here are other before and after photos. The dent is located on the side of the downtube, and it because it's inward, it was keeping the battery from clicking into place. I managed to get a good portion of the dent out with a C-clamp and some blocks of wood, but the bending back and forth has caused some of the paint to chip, and it's not exactly straight. The battery is at least able to slide and lock into place now (with some force) and I can use it. There's still tension on the battery though, and I'm going to try and get more of the dent out this weekend. I called my LBS and they said it would be $250 to take down and reassemble the bike on to a new frame. I would usually very happily and enthusiastically do it myself, but I'm in school and unfortunately don't have the time to youtube it and figure it out. :)

They've switched from Cecilia to Grace, but I still just keep getting asked if I fixed it and haven't been given any options one way or another.

Looking at the other pictures you sent it appears that the frame isn’t “unusable” just damaged. That said, I still think they should send you another frame and pay for the swap-a-roo of all the parts. They can take it up with the shipper and hopefully pick a better one for your new frame and future customers.

Glad you are able to stuff the battery in to ride it…..waiting that long with no payoff sucks!

Good luck and make sure to report how things turn out.

Tom

Frey is certainly not going out of their way to help you.

I would be cautious about bending an aluminum frame in any way, but maybe it is not at a place where it is under much stress and it will be okay.

Hi friends here,

We are responsible for the frame damage for sure. We have given several solution for choice. and just discuss and wait for final confirmation.

Regards,
Ivy

Hi

Has anyone tried the new Dorado 48V 25Ah 21700 battery on their AM1000.
Thinking of buying or building a high current one for the future if I change the controller to Innotrace.

£385.56 15%OFF | reention dorado 48v battery 25ah 20ah with 21700 cell for 500w 750w 1000w side release electric bike tube 48volt batteries
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mLcw1Rk

That is a very nice battery! I would love to put 1200Wh in my AM1000 after all these years I don't think my 900Wh is delivering as it used to. Do the dimensions make it fit?

Cheers and thanks for the link,
H

Hardcore said:
That is a very nice battery! I would love to put 1200Wh in my AM1000 after all these years I don't think my 900Wh is delivering as it used to. Do the dimensions make it fit?

Cheers and thanks for the link,
H

Hi, yes pretty sure it is a direct fit as it uses the Dorado pattern. It is the same length as the Dorado battery used in the AM1000, just need to check height as the battery is a bit taller.

No, the shape is not the same.
But if 21700 based EX batteries will be available it will be a very interesting upgrade to consider.

Frey celebrates their 5th anniversary by releasing the upgraded AM1000 V6 with the following exciting improvements:

1. Built-in battery 1008WH;
2. 29/27.5" wheelset
3. 3 New color releases plus black.

The video is here; https://youtu.be/NdwAi17MkkM

mmexport1639645323312.jpg

mmexport1639645325433.jpg

mmexport1639645319159.jpg

brake034 said:
Frey celebrates their 5th anniversary by releasing the upgraded AM1000 V6 with the following exciting improvements:

2. 29/27.5" wheelset

Looks good Marcel & Frey. Well done 👍

More info and prices on the Frey website;

https://www.frey.bike/article/5th-anniversary-AM1000-v6.htm

It says for the first time Frey is offering a frame kit!

Right now, We are offering extensive promotions for the 5th-anniversary celebration thanking Frey’s users and supporters. The promotion runs from December 16, 2021, to January 15, 2022.

Offer 1: AM1000 V5 in Black group buying 4380 USD deliver to US and EU address.

Offer 2: Return customer Discount. The brand new AM1000 V6 is priced at 5180USD. We are offering returning customers a discounted price of 4980USD. You can also get a referral from a friend who is a Frey owner and enjoy the sweet discounted price of 4980USD. shipping cost included deliver to US and EU address.

Offer 3: AM1000 V6 frame kits as a separate product for sale. Loyal customers who have purchased the V3 or earlier version can enjoy a special offer price of 2022USD. Other returning customers and friend's referrals will also receive a deal of ordering the frame at 2880USD. The package price does not include the shipping cost.
The frame kits include complete frame with rear shock, motor system, battery and charger.
See a picture below, in this post, there are some FREY AM1000 V3 bike owners who can enjoy the special offer for the kits. if anyone would like to apply for the offer, please contact us.
543657ad-63cf-41ab-ab44-9a4cd8f5c21e.jpg

This is what Frey has needed for years. Integrated battery really cleans up the look of the bike. Definitely a huge improvement.

brake034 said:

2. 29/27.5" wheelset

The video is here; https://youtu.be/NdwAi17MkkM

mmexport1639645323312.jpg

mmexport1639645325433.jpg

mmexport1639645319159.jpg

Hello everyone!

I am new here and registered just to be able to post in this thread. I have read all 99 pages and I have came to conclusion that Frey bikes are worth their price. Also it seems that customer support is better than in many other Chinese bike manufacturers. It is very nice that Frey themself are reading and posting to this thread!

So, I just ordered my first Frey bike. I chose the FAT1000 2.0. I didn't find it from Frey website but was able to make the order when I asked if it was still available.

I know it might take many months to actually get the bike, but I already got a message stating that "order has been sent to production department". I just wonder, does that mean they have already started to build the bike, or does it just mean that my order is "processed" and it is now waiting in the line?

One more question: As I read about this bike, I found out that original rear hub that came with the bike was not 190mm according to someone who had bought this bike few years ago, but it was 188.7mm or so if I remember correctly, and that made it difficult to swap the hub to another that was 190mm spot on. As I asked about this from Frey, they told me that "rear hub is QUANTA M9HR 190*12mm Hub". My question is now, is that M9HR Quanta hub actually 190mm or smaller? I asked that question two times from Frey to be sure, and I made the order as I understood it is supposed to be 190mm wide, and therefore easy to swap if I want to.

kerim said:
Hi first gen AM1000 owners,

The needle bearing in my Bafang Ultra went. I think it must have been due to the extreme wet conditions I have been riding the bike, because it has got under 1000 km on the clock. I am based in the north of England and the weather in winter can me horrendous. Here is the bearing:

54AADDBA-EF13-4B2B-97B7-528EB05BDBE0.jpeg

I have now ordered a fancy SKF bearing for £8 plus a purpose built needle bearing seal for £6. I also noticed that the opposite bearing in the crank shaft (it’s a common ball bearing) does not look very good. I might replace that as well. Did any one else had problems with one of them?

Cheers,

Kerim

btw there is also a INA HK2220 2RS needle bearing that is more appropiate in my opinion.
HK2220-2RS.JPG
after changing all my motor bearings I miss my "tok tok tok" sound while landing after a jump or riding over potholes. lol.
but yes after a while I highly recommend to renew all motor bearings.

machuni said:
Hi Tom,

Hi all, just wanted to give an update about how all of this turned out. After a back and forth (and posting on here), Grace finally got involved and offered me either a partial refund for the frame or to pay to ship a new frame and for a LBS to take my components off of my old bike and switch it the new one. I wasn't very interested in waiting for a new frame to ship and be reassembled here, so I took the partial refund.

So although it was more frustrating and time consuming than it should have been, to their credit, Frey did finally take accountability and refunded me for the frame.

But, my god, was it hard to get that refund from Alibaba. They claimed they initiated the refund and that it would take a max of 30 days to see it in my paypal account, and after about two months, and 6-7 times contacting Alibaba customer service, I finally had to get Paypal involved because there was no record anywhere of the transfer being initiated. I ended up initiating a chargeback, having Alibaba say that would not refund me unless I dropped the chargeback, and finally a paypal rep advised me to drop the chargeback, see what they did, and if they didn't initiate the transfer, reinitiating the chargeback. :eek:

I saw earlier on this thread the exact same thing happened to Mountgreenwood, and that Frey got blamed for it, but I honestly believe this was an Alibaba thing and not a Frey thing since the refund was recorded on Alibaba's end.

It is a great bike, so I think it probably is still worth the hassle. But in the future, I HIGHLY recommend buying straight from Frey (maybe using Paypal for the buyer protection) and not through Alibaba lest you run into the same issues if any refund needs to be issued.

How do you post pictures on here? I want to show everyone my AM1000 Modified Pro Edition. Any suggestions would be extremely appreciated. What is it 2006, I don't understand this? Why can't I access my photos to upload them?

Back