My build. Rayne Killswitch Electrified, 4KW Alien Components

BShady said:
How thick are the alien mount's and how thick are torque's mounts?

They're close to the same, I think. Mine are 6mm thick. Aliens are just the 2 tiny arms are a downside (where it snapped at). I know for aesthetic looks it looks nice but if the inner of the alien mount was solid it would definitely provide more strength to it. Beetbocks is definitely a better machinist than myself. I'm sure he could make it much more sturdy. Perhaps in the next ones? Mine are just a bigger piece of aluminum height and width wise which strengthen it, probably more than necessary.

voodoojar said:
I see the positive and negative of both designs. the big problem is aluminum sucks at flexing, it would rather just crack. So you either have to make it thick enough or make it out of something else.

what other material could you use?

Mine are inox (stainless steel).

Weather proof and unbreakable!

BShady said:
what other material could you use?

interresting stuff from wikipédia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:S-N_curves.PNG

wikipedia said:
Ferrous alloys and titanium alloys have a distinct limit, an amplitude below which there appears to be no number of cycles that will cause failure. Other structural metals such as aluminium and copper, do not have a distinct limit and will eventually fail even from small stress amplitudes.

forget aluminium, go for steel :twisted:

superpef said:
Nothing special that caused it to snap, stress over time I guess as I didn't ride over anything too rough when it happened.

Do you do alot or any starting from a dead stop or do you push off then give it throttle?

Aluminum holds up though. I have 900+ miles on my aluminum mount. It's simply because that motor mount only has 2 tiny arm pieces absorbing all that shock. If there was a bit more surface area in there. I don't think it would break like that. Although, since the alien mounts are simply bolt on. It would be nice if it was a stronger material. You don't have to use aluminum like in my case - I have to use aluminum to weld it to the aluminum trucks.

What are you going to do now? Buy a replacement?

torqueboards said:
Aluminum holds up though. I have 900+ miles on my aluminum mount. It's simply because that motor mount only has 2 tiny arm pieces absorbing all that shock. If there was a bit more surface area in there. I don't think it would break like that. Although, since the alien mounts are simply bolt on. It would be nice if it was a stronger material. You don't have to use aluminum like in my case - I have to use aluminum to weld it to the aluminum trucks.

your mounts definitely fall under sufficiently thick. I've been running them and they are great. The only thing I'd really like to see for these is the motor mount bolt channels widened to hold a small m4 washer. I had to modify washers to get them in there.

voodoojar said:
your mounts definitely fall under sufficiently thick. I've been running them and they are great. The only thing I'd really like to see for these is the motor mount bolt channels widened to hold a small m4 washer. I had to modify washers to get them in there.

Yeah, I definitely wanted them to be less problematic when riding. I've made the height a bit smaller to accommodate a drop-through board now at least ones without big foot pockets. It still holds up just as strong.

I didn't think about that initially to use washers. Are you using the washers so the bolts don't back out? I haven't had any issues without the bolts backing out and I'm using them without washers. Although, that would be a good idea.

@superpef - You should ask beetbocks maybe he can offer a thicker or more durable option for his mount or in a different material. It's not the first time this has happened. Although, maybe only 10-20% of his buyers have tough terrain or ride rough.

torqueboards said:

After customer feedback- i have now removed the lighing holes in the brackets and they are far stronger now..I also replaced Fabians broken bracket straightaway and he's very happy with the new design
you only have to contact me rather than discuss on the forum..as i dont get to read all the posts on the forum.
IMG_2102_zps2061b5a8.jpg

I can confirm that they are way sturdier now. With the older brackets I could hear the motors touching when I had them very close together and running over rougher ground. Now I have them even closer together and there's no rattle whatsoever. Meaning the brackets don't bend anymore, which should effectively eliminate fatigue. Thanks Richard!

No Problem...As soon as i heard about the problem ..i was glad to help..
I just appeal to my Customers to tell what problems they have..as i have never had this problem but i probably dont ride as much or as far as some..

superpef said:
which should effectively eliminate fatigue. Thanks Richard!
glad you got them changed - fatigue will still occur but the number of cycles to reach rupture have been extended since the stresses have been lowered by an increased section :wink:

Went to a longboard spot in Germany this weekend. A longboard mecca really, it's a dead volcano paved with the nicest bicycle path. It has a 14km run without pushing with just the right decline for beginners to learn and for others to be able to pull some slides here and there if you build up enough speed. And all that in the middle of beautiful scenery. When you're down all the way you can just take the bus (volcano express 8) ) up to the start again. I could go on about this place all day.. Anyway I took my board and thought I would ride without the belts which I did for the first couple runs. Then I decided to put em on again which turned out to be even better (of course). I could speed down leaving everybody else behind, then turn around and speed up again. Heaven.On.Earth. :D
I can just tell anybody to go there if you live in Germany. To everybody else, look out for such places hehe..
Here's a video I put together, should have brought some gopro's..
[youtube]VSFxzDDsyq8[/youtube]

Back