Need ideas to make simple watthour meter for ePower race

Slapping People Upside The Head

Sometimes you just have to literally steer a horse to water... :lol:

The potential market for electric racing worldwide is pretty large. If someone here were to build this wattage restriction circuit you could potentially have a monopoly on it worldwide as it's a niche market to own.

Hey folks... the economy sucks... I'm throwing the potential to make $$$$$ out there so think of the profit possible. :wink:

You might also offer different restriction levels that might apply to electric bicycle racing as well as electric motorcycle racing or other types as well. (the circuit could be rather universal)

safe said:
His request mirrors a request I made a while back too, that we could think about ways to develop a circuit that not just measures the wattage that a bike is using, but also restricts the bike based on some pre-configured value of watts.

Guys, if there is really significant interest here, I could post a revision of the Cycle Analyst firmware where instead of setting an amps limit you set a watts limit. For all practical reasons limiting the watts and limiting the amps achieves the same thing with a given setup, and between the two options offering a current limit made more sense so that's what I did.

In this context of standardizing input power for a particular EV race then an exact wattage limit is the way to go. However, the CA will only do that properly if the analog throttle over-ride signal from the CA is appropriately interfaced to each user's motor controller. That part could be a little more difficult to enforce.

Justin

justin_le said:
I could post a revision of the Cycle Analyst firmware where instead of setting an amps limit you set a watts limit. For all practical reasons limiting the watts and limiting the amps achieves the same thing with a given setup, and between the two options offering a current limit made more sense so that's what I did.
That's good to know that you can do this with a special order item.

justin_le said:
In this context of standardizing input power for a particular EV race then an exact wattage limit is the way to go. However, the CA will only do that properly if the analog throttle over-ride signal from the CA is appropriately interfaced to each user's motor controller. That part could be a little more difficult to enforce.
Most everyone uses a throttle that uses 0-4 volts. Since this is a pulldown design I'm not sure what the problem would be... but I trust that you see it as problem. If the CA is in a constant state of monitoring the voltage and current then if the pulldown "failed" and the battery released more than is "legal" then it's a problem. For example... if the racer simply disconnects the pulldown wire the bike would run unrestricted, so there would be a need to protect against that.

justin_le said:
For all practical reasons limiting the watts and limiting the amps achieves the same thing with a given setup
But lead's voltage just keeps going down and down... Gotta make sure those people are able to compete equally and stay safe. :wink:

swbluto said:
But lead's voltage just keeps going down and down... Gotta make sure those people are able to compete equally and stay safe. :wink:
If you "lowball" the voltage limit so that it's well below the natural battery voltage then when it "sags" you would still be far enough above it that you would never dip below.

But that has the problem of needing to be configured with a "guess" of how low the lowest will be and it also means customizing for different bikes. What would be best if if there could be a "hardcoded" Cycle Analyst that would never allow more than 1000 watts for the exclusive use of racing.

Herrsprocket sounds pretty cheap though, so the $100+ price of the Cycle Analyst is a problem.

Unless for the purpose of "prestige" the guys at Cycle Analyst could cut a deal and take market share with a $50 specialty item. Minimum order of 20 maybe? That's still $1000 that Herrsprocket needs to find somewhere or charge the racers.

From Justin's return email,

In any case, it is true that the present model of CA
only limits the power via the current limiting, and I
didn't implement both a watts limit and an amps limit
because that is somewhat redundant, and didn't make
sense given the shortage of memory space in the chip.
But if you need a custom version where the current
limit is done as a wattage limit instead (can't git both),
that is indeed quite possible.

-Justin

I'm afraid to ask... can we pedal in a race? :?

Many ebikes are designed around pedalling, like starting, or an up-hill boost, that kinda thing.

recumbent said:
I'm afraid to ask... can we pedal in a race? :?
Oh sure... the little 400 watt boost that pedaling can add to the bike extends the peak power from 1000 watts to 1400 watts. For a sprint you could make that boost be more like 750 watts for a short period of time.

The races at Portland International Raceway are time trials so it's not true racing in the sense that people aren't right next to each other. In bicycle racing the ability to get in behind the air of those in front translates into a big difference in wind resistance and since ebike racing will likely allow aerodynamic features not allowed in traditional cycling you will see a wide range of bike offerings. (recumbents, road racers, those funky aero tube things, etc)

Also, I'd like to see a more "sport oriented" type of race pop up where you seek out the local go kart racetrack and make it more like a BMX race than a time trial. That aspect of electric bike racing hasn't been explored yet, but could be the area where the most people find an interest in the long run.

Pedaling is always going to be far less power than the motor power... but when you need that extra surge to pass it's good to have that extra pedal power to draw upon.

Email I sent today to Justin at ebikes.ca,

"My question is, where are all these ebike races happening??"

Ebikes themselves are an emerging market. Frankly we live
in hard times economically and not much is happening all the
way around. Even "Going Green" has suffered a lot recently
as gasoline prices have dropped to levels so low that the argument
for switching has evaporated.

Racing would give a certain attractiveness to the electric
bike and that's why this circuit would be so critical to make
it happen. If you can very, very precisely guarantee that all
the bikes are allotted the exact same wattage at all times then
this will tend to make racing closer while allowing a "race what
you bring" atmosphere.

Electric bikes give the power of a top level cyclist to the
average rider... it just seems the thing to be doing.

Back to the Cycle Analyst...

What I'm thinking is that maybe you could just build a
circuitboard alone (no buttons, no mounting hardware, no
container) and make it hardcoded to run at some level which
I would think would best be 1000 watts. (this might need to
be discussed further however)

Anyway... a stripped down circuitboard with custom
embedded software should do the trick. To test it to be
sure it's correct you would need to mount it along with a
fully equipped Cycle Analyst and watch that it works right.

The racing at Portland International Raceway (ePower)
seem likely to continue. If you could somehow negotiate
some deal with HerrSprocket (endless-sphere name) then
you could be the supplier there. They just don't need or
want the full package.

Think stripped down circuitboard...

Also, if the throttle cable gets disconnected (cheating)
you need to do something like set off a loud buzzer. No
one would get away with a loud buzzer for long.

Safe

Cheating Followup

If someone disconnects the throttle pulldown wire then this would disable the wattage restriction circuit. There needs to be a way to signal that an "offense" is taking place. But first you have to be able to know that there is an "offense" and for that I'm thinking that if the circuit simply watches the wattage and if it EVER exceeds the wattage limit you can reasonable say that it's not working. After all, the whole idea of the throttle pulldown is that it lowers the power output so the total power should never exceed the limit.

The "easy" way is to program the circuit so that if you exceed the wattage limit a loud buzzer goes off.

Another approach might be to throw a relay switch that shuts down the battery completely. Or even better... if the right conditions aren't all in place then the relay cannot be turned to the "on" (connected) state to begin with. (in other words if you try to cheat with the circuit then your whole bike gets disabled)

I haven't been back here for awhile. I had thought that the topic had been pretty much exhausted, a few had responded to my initial request and I have been actively persuing those suggestions. By no means has the dust settled yet on the "answer" to this situation, but honestly, because of the extraordinary help that I have received from the guys here on ES and from the Power Assist group, the prospect of acquiring a complete solution is near fruition. The guys who stepped up to help here at ES ( the "Doc", TD, and Justin) have been super and have given me a slew of info to work with, mostly in PM's (so as to not bog folks down with my particular agendas and the logistics that I need to bear in mind). They have been tremendously generous in their time, and concern for seeing this project reach a successful conclusion. I assure all reading, there will be a solution. And thanks Safe for your enthusiasm in concurring that this mind set of power governing is the key to a successful venue that defines "e-assist" or "power assist" racing.

I agree with TD about his assessment of the capabilities of the CA as they stand now, and as confirmed by Justin's further input regarding the current parameters under which the fabulous CA now operates. I was aware of the functionality of the CA's performance last spring ( and of course before that) when considering a "watt hour" limiting factor to govern the races at PIR, and was also mindful of the fact that an "ultimate" solution could not be reached in the time frame afforded to me. The CA and other power meter devices had to be relegated to the "next year" shelf, for reasons of expedience and keeping my vigilance on simply making the race a success that year. Those operating parameters and the functionality of the CA were and have been discussed with Justin several times. He has clued me into some variables that may be persued, and they are indeed very useful and germane to the needs I am looking for. One must also realize that the time/cost for Justin to do such a "custom" reconfiguration has to be warranted by a return on said investment and I am respectfully aware of that. A definite option that we are examining.

The Doc Watson and the Watts up meters are also great tools for the applications they are set up for. They do present one small issue, and that is they have a voltage limit on their input of 60 volts. In most cases, this is very reasonable for the major applications of the assist world, but, with the prospect of trying to accommodate the folks who show up with higher voltages, it does denote a limiting ability for the racers.

Another interesting thought was the "Kill a Watt" meter that Doc was suggesting. It also has some promise, but it too needs to be examined further. TD was also giving a hand in that regard as he is attempting to build such a critter and he will be keeping me in the loop as to the progress of his project, it will be interesting to get his results and build technique, definitely very handy for me to see what it takes for him to make it from scratch.

There are some other options I am currently exploring too. These gizmos all bear the same thing in mind as to my original concept, that the race would be best served by utilizing a form of governance on board each paricipating bike. The "best to my ability" attempt at regulating the contests via categorizing racers by watt hour availability (amp hours on board and voltage being used) was a decent approach at making the races as fair as possible, but is still less exacting than the succinctness that can be attained by a watt hour meter OR watt hour power cut off device.

Recumbent raises a few interesting points. He has a well warranted concern as to the costs involved to the racer incurred at the event. You bet. That is one of the factors we need to compile into our mix of data when we analyse all the variables that have to go into the decision making process. We aim to keep this as affordable as possible to ourselves and the participants as we can. Some may think I am being cheap, I would like to think I am being financially aware of the balance that needs to be achieved so as to insure healthy growth for our event while giving the racers a cool race venue at a very reasonable cost.

The next point he mentioned was that it was a matter of money spent on the system (chain drive system was mentioned) and the aero ness that would insure a victory. Well, maybe yes and maybe not really. Bear in mind that the race does not have any hills in it and no stop and go, just lots of corners and some long straights. So you are pretty much in your efficiency band the entire time, whether you run a hub motor or a chain drive system. And remember (and this also addresses your other question about pedaling), I try to calculate a watt hour useage for a certain distance based upon the rider "assisting" in the power output effort. Imagine that, human assist, or as some call it, e-assist ! Races are determined such that one may be able to complete the course on just electric power alone, but they would have to go sloooowly to do it, you may have a lot of fun, but don't count on winning ( if that's your bag!). And, there are divisions for the amount of aeroness that your bike (and you) present. Various amounts of streamlining of your ride will determine the category you directly compete in. Some folks keep thinking that only the super streamlined crowd will win, well yeah, maybe in their division against others who have the same amount of fairing and watt hours available. The person that shows up on a MTB and no fairing whatsoever is not going to get pitted against a streamliner that can do triple the speed on the same amount of energy, naw.

Pedaling is a good thing ! I know I'm going to get some grief from some streamliner guys that want to go 60 - 70 mph the whole way on just electric alone, and that would be a hoot to see, but so solly chawlie ! We gotta have safety first. We have to be mindful of the liability issues from an insurance point of view. The parameters under the insurance need to "roughly" conform to what a legal e-assist bike is ( and that's kinda ambiguous), so don't bug me on that one ok? :lol: And lastly, the idea is to promote "e-assist" modes of transportation, not all out elecric motorcylcle racing ( which is very cool), just not at this venue. Maybe I can arrange electric drag racing during the evenings? hmm. Therefore pedaling will be encouraged. ( note* "IF" there is a possibility for "exhibition" performances, and the insurance allows it, I may give it a real think through).

The watt hour remedy is forthcoming and it will be mindful of the needs of this race as well as the future of other racing venues to come.

Tom

Ignoring battery sag: a simple throttle stop would work to limit amperage, there are crimp on clips that you can put through a drilled hole in a screw type throttle stop to detour anyone from messing with it. Also post tech inspection would detour cheating. Also if you run a 5k pot you can put a adjustable rheostat inline with the sweeper to maintain a specific resistance to limit current. Keep up the good work guys.

Noobster: It's good to see you made your way here and are following these developments in the electric bike racing world. These are the actual players in the business right now and some VERY SMART guys so be careful... don't underestimate the problems they are trying to solve until you competely understand what specific issues they are working on. :wink: (we can discuss this separately because I completely understand the issue and I'll answer anything you want to know)

Herrsprocket: I'm glad you've given such a thorough update on the issue... I was starting to worry that you had gone elsewhere to solve the problem. It sounds like everyone is up to speed on what the needs are and it's now down to solving the problem in the most cost effective manner possible. I'm really hoping that 2009 will be the first year we see these circuits at the racetrack. :)

My suspicion is that things like the prevention of cheating will not be a major issue in this first pass. However it is something to keep in the back of everyone's mind. There has to be some way to catch the guy that secretly disables the wattage restrictor. All they need to do is unplug the throttle wire and all this work goes to waste.

:arrow: As they say in racing:

"Never fall behind on your cheating."

safe said:
I completely understand the issue and I'll answer anything you want to know
:coffee-spit:
file.php
file.php
file.php
file.php

Noobster: Don't let TylerDurden steer you wrong. His "fight club" avatar fits his personality. He's a royal pain around here. :roll:

If you want to know more we are better off discussing it on the other forum because this place can get really, really ugly at times.

So ask your questions over at the other place. :)

Note

I actually had proposed this as an idea (independently) back in May of this year:

Board index » Electric Vehicles » Battery Technology » Power Limitation Chip? (for racing)

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4481&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

...so I've been on this idea for a while.

It's a good idea no matter who presents it. :)

A Deadline?

Herrsprocket I understand that you may be in the process of negotiation with "entities" (like the folks who make Cycle Analyst) and that those "entities" will have certain proprietary desires in wanting to prevent others from knowing what they are doing. I understand and that's how business should be done.

However...

If negotiations fall apart and at some future time you are unable to get things working for you then I would suggest that you come back here and give us all another shot at building this circuit in an "open source" online kind of way.

Maybe set a "deadline" out into next year where if real progress isn't being made that you change course.

My goal is to "make progress happen" any way possible in the electric bike racing world so I don't want to do anything to screw you up... but just know that we here will do everything in our power to help you get it happen. :)

I came across some ebike meters from a company brochure, I've contacted them about meter, but very hard to get much detail from them on what are the functions etc ( anyone dealing with ebike factory export persons will know what I mean), I can buy these units , company wants $40usd per piece and I have to buy 10 lots min. for me its too much risk to get that many if they dont do what is needed, but if anyone out there wants to do a group buy of them I'd go in on that, problem is I wont know what they can do until actually get to play with them, company wont supply just one to play with. So I cant give any more info on them apart from what can be seen in the pics.bmeter.jpg

It's not so much a need for metering... the two things that are needed that seem to usually be lacking are:

:arrow: Throttle Pulldown - The meter needs to be able to sink the throttle voltage whenever the wattage attempts to go past the desired limit.

:arrow: Precise Permanent Wattage Limit - There has to be a way to permantly set the wattage limit (hardcoded) so that it's impossible for the racer to cheat and reset it. Though I can't claim to know with certainty what wattage limit will be used the number of 1000 watts has been thrown around a lot because after the typical efficiency losses you come down to about 750 watts which is the Federal Law limit for ebikes in the US. (the highest of any nation)

...a third item that would be nice is something that automatically disables the bike if for whatever reason the wattage limit is exceeded. This is needed so that the racer doesn't cheat by simply disconnecting the pulldown of the throttle cable.

Given the first two "needs" and the last "want" I really doubt that the typical wattage meter would work right out of the box, though it might be a good modification project to do. (DoctorBass has looked at doing something along these lines)

Let's keep in mind that until Herrsprocket says otherwise we are assuming that he is in business discussions with Cycle Analyst. Justin had made some reference of possibly taking an interest in the project. (at least he hinted at it) So let's just all relax and wait to see what they want.

If the electric bike racing community needs us for technical help I'm sure we will all do what we can to help out. :)

We just have to wait now...

Why not just go the extra step and just build 12 identical ebikes, right down to paint color, and have a group race them against each other.. weee.. that would be great.. :roll:

Seriously... it's " Racing " .. for god sakes.. +1v -1v.. wopee.. weight, aerodynamics, battery chemistry.. 3 things that determine the winner on an oval track.. A race thru nature trails would be different.. brakes.. acceleration.. handling .. get out there. have fun.. enjoy the event but " Cheating " is only something to worry about when there major prize money to be had and with EV's it's obvious when someone " cheats " by any significant amount..

Safe, you personally want this " wattage " gizmo, nothing wrong with that, but you are on your own personal journey on it.

Knowing the system voltage.. and your determined Watts limit.. the CA meter in it's current form can be set to work out the box by setting the " Max Amps..." value...

Ypedal said:
Safe, you personally want this " wattage " gizmo, nothing wrong with that, but you are on your own personal journey on it...
Actually I had proposed the idea in May of this year and Herrsprocket later presented the same idea in this thread on Sept 30 of this year.

We had the same idea independently. :idea:

But from what Herrsprocket says (and his experience as an actual racetrack organizer) this idea was discussed by many others and seems to be a fairly universal theme.

The core reason to have this is to be able to have completely different bikes with completely different battery, motor, controller configurations all be able to race in the same class based on a certain wattage restriction.

It's like in gasoline racing where maybe there is a Cubic Centimeter (cc) rating for the motors in a particular class. In motorcycle road racing they use to have the Formula One (open), Formula Two (250 cc), and others all the way down to 80cc.

Wattage is just easier to regulate... it's just such a "no brainer" to go this way. 8)

The old way was based on things like battery size and voltage which made the classes too numerous and complicated.

This circuit will guarantee fair racing.

However it will run counter to the mindest of ebikers that seek to overvolt their bikes and make more power. This circuit in effect LEVELS out all the bikes power levels and takes away the value of severe overvolting. For most motors a simple 48 volts will probably be good enough to win in a 1000 watt racing class. So this direction in race rules might run counter to many with hub motors and 5000 watts of power at their disposal. But realistically, those 5000 watt hub motor bikes are not ebikes anymore and are closer to motorcycles in power. If a true "Electric Bicycle Race" is to be sanctioned it should have power levels that are consistent with the 750 watt law that ebikes are supposed to stay under.

We're trying to be realistic here... 1000 watts input and 750 watts output is right in the "sweet spot" for what is considered a legal ebike in the United States.

safe said:
Ypedal said:
Safe, you personally want this " wattage " gizmo, nothing wrong with that, but you are on your own personal journey on it...
Actually I had proposed the idea in May of this year and Herrsprocket later presented the same idea in this thread on Sept 30 of this year.
As per the OP, the interest is in a passive meter, not a control:
Herrsprocket said:
So, what we are looking for help with is developing a very simple meter that measures and displays a watt hour reading . All the races will be predicated on the basis of watt hour useage no matter what distance, power level on board,voltage being used, etc. ...
But the Cesspool's #1 douchebag has a little voice in his head saying: "This is about you safe; you must rally the forces to create a device that will keep you from burning up more underpowered motors, even though they are hopelessly overgeared to be useful in your fantasy of electric motorcyclebikes... ignore the reality of what was written, because it was written by stupid bicyclists who cannot possibly understand the significance of how earth-changing racing pathetic motorcycles will be. Keep posting... you can soon have more posts on this thread than all the others combined..."

There is a difference between wattage control and watt-hour assessment: power limitation v. energy used. Saying they are the same idea is as stupid and misleading as saying the CA only displays wattage.

If anybody is still even reading this thread: FYI.. I'll start another on hacking and calibrating the Kill-A-Watt.

I was wondering about Safe's claim that herrsprocket wanted a wattage-restriction, as the only thing I recalled was a request for cheap watt-hour measurement. :/

swbluto said:
I was wondering about Safe's claim that herrsprocket wanted a wattage-restriction, as the only thing I recalled was a request for cheap watt-hour measurement. :/
:arrow: No, it's wattage restriction.

It would make no sense to use a simple meter because then people would simply cheat.

However... we have to be realistic... there may not be funds available for the ideal solution right now and so Herrsprocket might find some cheap and temporary solution to get by or even skip it for this year. The economy is not good and people are going to have a hard enough time just getting to the race and paying the insurance for the race, so having to pay $125 for a full retail version of Cycle Analyst is a tough thing to ask of people at the moment.

That's why this thread will stay in "limbo" for now because I have the feeling that in the end we (the online ebike community) will eventually be called upon to help and come up with a dirt cheap solution.

It's still early... if this takes two or three years to finalize that's no big deal because ebikes and ebike racing are still in their infancy. But this is the future of "Federal Law Legal" (750 watt) ebike racing as I see it down the road.

Just chill everyone... there's plenty of time to sort this out... :)

But this should be considered a "preview" of where the future is likely to go. There will be a power limitation rather than complicated battery or motor combination rules. This evolution will lead us to a point where everyone gets the exact same power no matter what they bring to the track.

This was something that Herrsprocket wrote elsewhere:

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=7346

Hi all,

Safe, you are on the right track, or I should say, I agree with you in all aspects of your assessment of a solution. As you may recall, when I was first approaching the group about the event, there was PLENTY of discussion regarding how to guage and regulate the contestants. And as most would recall, my number one solution would be to have a power meter hooked up to each bike, thus eliminating all the muss and fuss of trying to accommodate all the differing chemistries of batteries, pack size, voltages,etc, and just let folks pick what category they would wish to run in, and have the watt hours used as the only guide to compartmentally divise each race division. Easy peasy ! Ummm, there is the small matter of BUYING these little life savers.

A couple of months ago, I put out a plea to the brains of the forum askng for help figuring out just such a solution. It's under a thread call "need ideas to make simple watt hour meters", in the technical section. The fellers came back to me with a couple of thoughts and I have been busy trying to figure out a solution from those suggestions. To say the least, the help I'm getting is terrific and no doubt I'll have a super sweet answer to the "power" useage factor. The race is in 7 months or so, I would imagine that the remedy will come in the next couple of weeks, and a decision to make the purchases will be following soon after that.

Fingers crossed,

Tom

So let's just cross all our fingers and hope that Herrsprocket pulls this off. :)

safe said:
This was something that Herrsprocket wrote elsewhere:
...And as most would recall, my number one solution would be to have a power meter hooked up to each bike, thus eliminating all the muss and fuss of trying to accommodate all the differing chemistries of batteries, pack size, voltages,etc, and just let folks pick what category they would wish to run in, and have the watt hours used as the only guide to compartmentally divise each race division. Easy peasy ! Ummm, there is the small matter of BUYING these little life savers.
I vote Alco-encephalopathy.

Without getting insulting... :roll:

The point is that he's going to try to get a "true" wattage restriction meter somehow, but if it means that he has to take some alternative route based on circumstances I'm sure he will be pragmatic enough to deal with it on his own.

The bottom line is that what is most desired is a very cheap hardcoded 1000 watt wattage restriction circuit that makes exceeding that amount impossible. (which would include the prevention of cheating)

But just chill... Herrsprocket will ask if he needs help from us... he's a "big guy" and is politically smooth enough to manage the races at Portland International Raceway so let him figure out what he wants to do.

Let's just have some faith in the "big guy" for now. :)

Back