• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

New 3 wheeler, 60 MPH

50% more stopping power…because its got 3 wheels instead of 2? Looks like the tilt is controlled by feet working against the butt on the seat.

Looks totally cool , but what interests me is the legal question
Is this going to be sold under moped / motorcycle license ?
What countries accept that ?

I like the bike, don't like the price.

SLA is 20AH but can't seem to see the more expensive lithium battery capacity anywhere?

Kudos

60mph requires a lot more power than the 300W controller they listed.

No aero so I say to get to 60mph. It will require at least 7KW. At 96V with sag computed in, I would say it is running close to 100A on battery. So using LiFe, it would mean either they have A123 and 20Ah or Chinese LiFe and running at least 50Ah.

So maybe this why it is $8K for the lithium sway.

I call this bullshit.

Maybe 60mph if it is going downhill or 40miles range if you are going 20mph.

Way over priced. And probably way over speced.

gogo said:
50% more stopping power…because its got 3 wheels instead of 2? Looks like the tilt is controlled by feet working against the butt on the seat.
2 front wheels, under brakes most of the weight transfers to the front giving twice the braking area.

Geebee said:
gogo said:
2 front wheels, under brakes most of the weight transfers to the front giving twice the braking area.
OK, they said "stopping power" in the video, but also "stopping capacity" in the main page text.

'Stopping capacity', or brake fade resistance should indeed increase at least 50% and probably closer to 100% based on the increase in swept area.

'Stopping power' can't be increased if the comparison 2-wheeler was capable of staying on the verge of locking up its front wheel.

mvly said:
60mph requires a lot more power than the 300W controller they listed.

No aero so I say to get to 60mph. It will require at least 7KW. At 96V with sag computed in, I would say it is running close to 100A on battery. So using LiFe, it would mean either they have A123 and 20Ah or Chinese LiFe and running at least 50Ah.

So maybe this why it is $8K for the lithium sway.

I call this bullshit.

Maybe 60mph if it is going downhill or 40miles range if you are going 20mph.

Way over priced. And probably way over speced.

Jeeze... if everybody used a bunch of math and sciencey words like compute and real world experience to evaluate things, how is anything going to get sold?

From the hype it seems to be aimed at the overpriced cup of coffee and red trousers-wearing crowd. Way too expensive and the behaviors exhibited are those that are almost guaranteed to PO someone in a large heavy vehicle that will not be affected by a minor impact.

My only real concern is with the lean apparently controlled by your legs, what happens on uneven surfaces in a turn?

Okay, the controller just has to be more than 300w, it can't be going that slow. It's been at least 4 months, still not fixed?

If you're not sure what you're building, how could be we sure what we're buying?

$100 deposit. Not sure that adds up. Seems like a lot of trouble taking deposits to not raise much.

American market, so far, is pretty difficult to hit. No one is going to pay 10K or 8K for a motorcycle that gets 40 or 60 miles range or much less if you are going 50+mph. Until Battery are dirt cheap, and charging method is super fast, I doubt electric anything will take off, aside from the DIY type of machine.

I, too, have many ideas for selling electric vehicles, but so far, everyone I have asked and surveyed have said, they are NOT willing to pay a high price for something subpar compared the the petrol version. Don't get me wrong, I am all for electric vehicles, but what I am also saying is in USA with vast land and cheap gasoline, it's a tough market at the current price of lithium batteries and charging infrastructure.

I'm am interested to see where this SWAY goes. Either it will be a success or die like the many USA electric vehicles startup.

Joe Wilcox - the man behind the SWAY, has been at it for a number of years, and to his credit has not given up. The vehicle is quite good - though it's true turning abilities don't necessarily equate to the amount of 'lean' achievable. Tilting vehicles are excellent at handling uneven terrain and are stable at slow speed. I feel his trike could be narrowed to help with the steering. The exaggerated lean is not driven by the legs, rather the shifting weight of the rider (like a 2 wheeler), with the footboards integral to the leaning mechanism.

Produced in volume, with a decent battery pack, this will be a successful vehicle.... identifying the market is always a challenge.

Regardless of how clever the engineering a lot more credibility would come from showing some knowledge of the electrical system and getting specifications correct. They quote a 300w controller, obviously a mile off the true spec, maybe a misprint that should have read 3000w?
They also use incorrect units to describe the battery size, quoting 5.8kw as its size, when that does not relate to a batteries size but an output, a 100v 10ah pack at 5.8c could out put that current from its 1Kwh capacity.
The way it reads it leads you to believe it is yet another EV built by people who don't really know what they are doing, which is a shame, it would be nice if someone actually did build a really good reliable bike like this.
The industry really needs someone to build something good, to set a standard for others to aspire too to drive development forward and create quality products. Or just getting their facts right would be a start!

Tench said:
Regardless of how clever the engineering a lot more credibility would come from showing some knowledge of the electrical system and getting specifications correct. They quote a 300w controller, obviously a mile off the true spec, maybe a misprint that should have read 3000w?
They also use incorrect units to describe the battery size, quoting 5.8kw as its size, when that does not relate to a batteries size but an output, a 100v 10ah pack at 5.8c could out put that current from its 1Kwh capacity.
The way it reads it leads you to believe it is yet another EV built by people who don't really know what they are doing, which is a shame, it would be nice if someone actually did build a really good reliable bike like this.
The industry really needs someone to build something good, to set a standard for others to aspire too to drive development forward and create quality products. Or just getting their facts right would be a start!

agree with you Tench. If your going to publicize, you must get your facts down.

This vehicle was originally designed with a ICE, and the use of an e-drive system is an afterthought. I am constantly dumbfounded when I ask for technical details on the electric vehicles that people are selling - not hard questions (what voltage, what AH capacity etc.) and they simply don't know. Not good enough....

Back