New Bafang Crank-Drives

Kepler said:
dshack said:
How waterproof are these units likely to be? If I planned on rain riding, what extra sealing should I be doing?

Also, Kepler (or others): this would be my first build, and I'm a little wary of wiring batteries correctly. Is it easy to hook up little turnigy cells in a handlebar bag, or am I better off with just getting the downtube battery direct from lectric cycles?

As newbie, go with the lectric cycles battery or the new one from EM3ev. http://em3ev.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=161

If you are adventurous, the best bang for your buck would be a pack of these HK Lipo's:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__15521__Turnigy_5000mAh_4S1P_14_8v_20C_hardcase_pack.html

I built a Pack with 6 of these, and then purchased a 2Px3S harness kit + precharge from Iceman for a 12Sx10AH Pack

http://lipoconnectionsolutions.com/

Kepler said:
No problems, those Topeak bags come with a yellow rain cover that protects the contents nicely from getting wet. :)

Hi Kepler

Thanks for all the teardown photos and technical analysis on the dead unit. Hopefully it is many many years before I need to tear mine down. It is a great kit IMO. Looking at one of the compact topeak bags you mention now. It would be much easier to move from bike to bike and also very stealthy. How tight do the 5800 6s packs end up in it with light padding and wiring. Would you think it possible to squeeze in 4 of the 8ah zippy packs. They are 52x69x165mm. I would be at the max weight also with this much capacity and most likely over kill but what I have been using and would like to stick to them. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__16228__ZIPPY_Flightmax_8000mAh_6S1P_30C_.html

May be best to dedicate some smaller bricks on this build but initially will wish to try the 12s 2p 16ah setup.

The 5800 compacts are a snug fit with no room for padding around them. However, being inside a soft bag, padding is not needed. You do end up with some room at the top of the bag. Enough for a puncture repair kit and you phone.

I have used the 8000 packs but are a are tight fit in this size bag and can only fit 3 bricks in there. It is a tight squeeze though and the wrong voltage for the is setup.

I have been riding the the mid drive heaps, mainly just bike paths and light off road with my kids. On my clapped out 400 plus cycle Turnigy's that are only holding 3.8ah each,(12S 2P, 7.6ah total capacity) I am getting 40km no problems. The Zippy compacks are good 5ah usable so 50km shouldn't be too hard to achieve. Just waiting for these to come back in stock at the AUST warehouse so I can retire the Turnigys.

Just carry 2 spare bricks in a backpack and change them over when going on an extended ride :)

Any thoughts on running one of the 750 watt kits through a Shimano Alfine8 rear hub? I have a beautiful wheelset (Sun MTX33s) built on one of these, and I'd love to use it on my next build, which just may include one of these kits.

Just dont try and shift under load and the Alfine should hold up. Nexus is a stronger hub if youre concerned. Rohloff is very robust but super pricey. Icrewse seems to favor the nuvinci hubs.

Kepler said:
Fitted up a CA with remote shunt and calibrated the shunt with a Fluke amp meter to make sure all was accurate.

Max amps recorded 26A. (12S LiPo)
Max Watts seen 1150W
I am enjoying this drive a lot :)

Kepler, thanks for all your great posts and legwork. I've got ~ 400 km on the Bafang, love it and really want to see the numbers.

For the good of the order, would you be willing to give us a post on the specifics of connecting up the CA to the BB-02? :D
Mine CA happens to be a Direct Connect and I haven't a clue re: wire colors etc.

Thanks!

Here is my build on a Ironhorse Maverick Aluminum Hardtail.

With the 12S 10AH LiPo Pack, it weights in at 49.0 lbs.

Just waiting on some Electrical connectors so I can complete the install. Hoping to be riding it soon.

This is my very first ebike build, and I can't tell you how easy it has been so far, although I suspect the electrical connections will be the most difficult part.

And another thanks to lcrewse for the great service. I definitely recommend http://lectriccycles.com for US buyers.

2014-01-04113649_zpse02c6c5e.jpg

2014-01-04113753_zpsfaea8b1e.jpg

I wanted to try this Bafang thing out so I got the 48V 500W unit with no throttle, just 6 power levels. Just put it on a little bike that will probably go to one of my sisters. Also got a 10AH LiFePO4 battery from BMS Battery because I liked the rack system it fits in.

Everything seems to work as expected, except I had to come up my 20% grade driveway in 2nd gear. The bike has a 7 speed derailleur but because the front chain ring on the Bafang is out farther there is too much angle to the 1st gear cog and the chain just comes off the front chain ring. I have a nice 8 speed Nexus IGH on the shelf that should be a good match to the Bafang and also eliminate the chain issue. The Nexus is worth two or three times what the whole bike cost, and I'll have to get a set of spokes for the 26" wheel - oh well, just another project.

Attachments

• Avalon and Bafang 001.JPG
    Avalon and Bafang 001.JPG
    193.1 KB · Views: 5,390
CellBalance said:
Kepler said:
Fitted up a CA with remote shunt and calibrated the shunt with a Fluke amp meter to make sure all was accurate.

Max amps recorded 26A. (12S LiPo)
Max Watts seen 1150W
I am enjoying this drive a lot :)

Kepler, thanks for all your great posts and legwork. I've got ~ 400 km on the Bafang, love it and really want to see the numbers.

For the good of the order, would you be willing to give us a post on the specifics of connecting up the CA to the BB-02? :D
Mine CA happens to be a Direct Connect and I haven't a clue re: wire colors etc.

Thanks!

If you have a CA-DP or CA-DPS, you can just purchase a remote shunt (Shunt-SA) from Grin. This is what I used to gather the info on my drive :)

Shunt-SA.jpg

Plug wire colors and numbers are as follows.

View attachment 1

Just did a quick check over my BBS02 install after 60km and found the BB lock rings had worked quite loose (finger tight) :shock: Might be that I didn't quite torque them up tight enough in the first place but thought I'd put out a warning to check them.

I'm really appreciating the help on hills. It's no power beast but it's all I need. I haven't driven the car to work or the shops since installing it (to the point of using the local weather radar to doge rain showers so I could use it today).

I am noticing quite a bit of sag in the 11.6Ah bottle battery on the steepest hills and will probably upgrade to a Cellman 50V 18.5Ah triangle pack some time in the future.

Still waiting for my Turnigy wattmeter to arrive so no detailed measurements yet.

Tom L said:
Just did a quick check over my BBS02 install after 60km and found the BB lock rings had worked quite loose (finger tight) :shock: Might be that I didn't quite torque them up tight enough in the first place but thought I'd put out a warning to check them.

I'm really appreciating the help on hills. It's no power beast but it's all I need. I haven't driven the car to work or the shops since installing it (to the point of using the local weather radar to doge rain showers so I could use it today).

I am noticing quite a bit of sag in the 11.6Ah bottle battery on the steepest hills and will probably upgrade to a Cellman 50V 18.5Ah triangle pack some time in the future.

Still waiting for my Turnigy wattmeter to arrive so no detailed measurements yet.

i had the same problem ... but fixed with locktight?... and also check the left crank arm cause my become loose after 3-4trips and had to re-tighten.

Yep the left crank arm had loosened very slightly. Nothing like the BB though.

I have some varieties of Loktite at work and will give the threads a dab if this continues to be a problem.

As a relatively newbie at e-bike building I'm putting together a Kona Stinky with a 500 watt 36 volt drive.The battery will be a 10s 2p using 8amp Turnigy nanos. The kit came with a thumb throttle, not much good with my arthritus. Any one know where I can get a half or full throttle that will plug into the Bafang harness?

You can get one from Lectric Cycles, http://lectriccycles.com/products/half-twist-throttle

It is fitted with the required Bafang plug.

I finally received 2 x replacement controllers for my BS01's. Which completely proved my point to them that the controllers were dudes...fitted them in and BAM nearly double the power and the throttle works. So I'm happy :)

Only took 20 emails many Skype conversations and a general unwillingness to believe me...ho hum.

Spacey said:
I finally received 2 x replacement controllers for my BS01's. Which completely proved my point to them that the controllers were dudes...fitted them in and BAM nearly double the power and the throttle works. So I'm happy :)

Only took 20 emails many Skype conversations and a general unwillingness to believe me...ho hum.

Great commitment Spacey. I think they rely on complacency when it comes to warranty returns and only give in when all other tactics have been exhausted.

Similar situation with Avigo and his failed Stator. Now all the evidence has been put on the table, he is now making some headway. I am sure he will chime in when arrangements have been confirmed. :)

After clocking up around 500km on the test bike I am now at a stage whereby I want to install the drive into a more deserving frame. Need to make sure the drive fits into the selected frame so I have spent a bit of time modeling the drive in Solidworks to hopefully take out some of the guess work.

BBS02 Solidworks.JPG

View attachment 5

BBS02 Render.jpg

Had this DH Comp frame on file drawn by another forum member to see how the drive would fit up. Cross that one off the list due to the 100mm bottom bracket and wide suspension components.

BBS02 frame Solidworks.JPG

BBS02 frame2 Solidworks.JPG

I am quite keen on a 2008 / 2009 Norco Atomick. Trying to track down some measurements on this bike at the moment but it looks like a good candidate providing the BB is suitable. If anyone has one of these, I would really appreciate getting some measurements.

atomik.jpg
atomik (1).jpg

Right now someone at Bafang is wishing they had just paid return shipping and issued a warrant claim :lol:

You need a frame where the section downtube to bottom bracket has no offset. 73mm bottom bracket is max and it should have enough space at the chainstays to clear the housing of the secondary transmission.

Most specialized Fully frames won't fit.

Transition should be a very good choise.

A straight downtube is better as you have more ground clearence.

Bafang came to the party with my one week old melted stator. They sent me the replacement stator
after couple of weeks of correspondence. Thanks to ES, especially Kepler for his effort in taking
the motor apart studying and explaining the failure with great photos. Also to Amy of GEB who
persisted with 8FUN relaying all my emails to Bafang with pictures and link to ES. They replaced
the complete sub-assembly of the stator, save us abit of work putting it back together.

We had a good look at the stator regarding rewinding it, I do not think is can be done my hand,
inbetween layers of protection PCB make it impossible to feed the copper by hand and pulling it
tight. Now we need to know if Bafang will sell the stator, l think some of us will need it with the
hard pushing.

Back on the road now ..Jan 10....Kepler managed to put all the bits back together. :shock: and it works
the first time. I asked Kepler to solder a loop wire to the positive of the black plug for pas. Now
I can turn the pas off/on without effecting the throttle.

All l need is to find the cruise control output :) :)

Attachments

• stator.jpg
    stator.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 5,133
Back