New Bafang Crank-Drives

Melbourne said:
Communications with CNEBIKES is a nightmare... ordered 26 sept and still have not sent the motor?

Ordered on 26 sept and they said motor will sent asap.
-36v 350w 8-fun mid motor is whole priced usd350 ( 48 T )
-36V 9AH tubelthium battery + charger is price usd150
-The freight for the all is usd125 via the ems

Email them 18 Oct about the tracking/shipping status and response from CNEBIKE:
-Dear . i had sent you the motor to express company yesterday . i think they will received it today or tomorrow . pls don't worry . they will send you
-immediately when they arrived it .

I am not 100% sure what they meant? So they just started shipping after 3 weeks..WTF.

Don't want to be drawing premature conclusions, but you can tell a lot about a company and its intentions by the way they command the language. Written communication between two parties isn't supposed point to what one means, but what one does. It isn't a 'maybe', it's a 1 or a 0, a 'yes' or a 'no'.

If you can't understand what they mean, you will not be able to prove that what happens later was their original intention, because it wasn't clear what they meant in the first place. I don't care what country a company is based in - if they sell and ship worldwide, they're supposed to be able to communicate clearly. If they can't - I don't buy from them.

dirkdiggler said:
I really don't want to get the coaster brake version. Is this accurate info?
It was at the time of posting and came directly from 8Fun documentation on the product.
Pedelecs UK and Cyclurba FR are really the best forum resources for this product

@Melbourne
Sounds like someone forgot to ship it and quickly sent it off after you reminded them :oops:

Just to give an update on the BBS-01 and BBS-02. I've secured the software to re-program the controllers and will be detailing a few different customization options
Is that directly to the Controller or reprogramming the LCD interface (which is made by a different company)
I'm guessing if it's LVC that it's direct to the controller, being able to modify that would be great for DIY lipo users.

Looks like Green Bike Kit is now selling the 48V 750w for $499.99 + shipping. Probably $580 out the door.

http://www.greenbikekit.com/index.php/bafang-8fun-mid-crank-driving-bbs-02-kit-48v-750w-central-driven-motor-kit.html

lcrewse said:
Just to give an update on the BBS-01 and BBS-02. I've secured the software to re-program the controllers and will be detailing a few different customization options that I will be offering to my customers soon. This includes things like adjusting the number of and percentage of current available on PAS assist levels, lvc, removing speed limiter, etc.

that is fantastic!

Anyone tried the BOOST switch?

http://cyclurba.fr/forum/231178/moteur-pn-dalier-bafang-bbs01.html?from=1061&discussionID=11651&messageID=267973&rubriqueID=102&pageprec=
"there it is, I now have 6 levels of assistance on BBS01. The last level allows me to get to very steep slopes without fatigue. The system possesses a switch "boost" which merely applies proposed by the handle accelerationde BAFANG but NOT controlled by a power. The acceleration provided by BAFANG handle receives a supply of 4.3V (the display) and issues a signal between 0.83 (handle to 0) and 3.57V (handful background). So I added a detector PEDAL powered by 4.3V, recouped the detector signal, treated with 2 transistors and resistors to the qq not issue 3.57 when you pedal and the switch "boost" is ON.
So when I'm somewhat steep road I use the engine without boost and I have a steep slope (15%) I press the switch for more power.
motor in sport and very forced way I measure 11A on 'alim ampermetrique battery with a clamp. In sport and "boost mode" I measure 16A. we can therefore assume that this mode boost product in mechanical 500W motor with a yield of about 80%. For me it is more than enough and avoids the mechanical adaptations of trays not the puissnace IMPROVE support for this engine in normal mode is not running fast enough if too ratio. Moreover, this electronic adaptation causes no change in the engine and remains the specifications since I merely applying power delivered by the handle acceleration of BAFANG but remaining legal order as NOT (maybe not in terms of power but I still do not understand what LEGAL 250W max mean since all engines have ridges called 250W power far superior). Of course, if one day we found a way to set the display to get the power "handle" would be even better."

Melbourne said:

http://cyclurba.fr/forum/231178/moteur-pn-dalier-bafang-bbs01.html?from=1061&discussionID=11651&messageID=267973&rubriqueID=102&pageprec=
"there it is, I now have 6 levels of assistance on BBS01. The last level allows me to get to very steep slopes without fatigue. The system possesses a switch "boost" which merely applies proposed by the handle accelerationde BAFANG but NOT controlled by a power. The acceleration provided by BAFANG handle receives a supply of 4.3V (the display) and issues a signal between 0.83 (handle to 0) and 3.57V (handful background). So I added a detector PEDAL powered by 4.3V, recouped the detector signal, treated with 2 transistors and resistors to the qq not issue 3.57 when you pedal and the switch "boost" is ON.
So when I'm somewhat steep road I use the engine without boost and I have a steep slope (15%) I press the switch for more power.
motor in sport and very forced way I measure 11A on 'alim ampermetrique battery with a clamp. In sport and "boost mode" I measure 16A. we can therefore assume that this mode boost product in mechanical 500W motor with a yield of about 80%. For me it is more than enough and avoids the mechanical adaptations of trays not the puissnace IMPROVE support for this engine in normal mode is not running fast enough if too ratio. Moreover, this electronic adaptation causes no change in the engine and remains the specifications since I merely applying power delivered by the handle acceleration of BAFANG but remaining legal order as NOT (maybe not in terms of power but I still do not understand what LEGAL 250W max mean since all engines have ridges called 250W power far superior). Of course, if one day we found a way to set the display to get the power "handle" would be even better."

That sounds nice. But I didn't get where exactly he put in the switch. Between the display and the controller to mod the voltage that the diplay gives the Controller?

Melbourne said:

I am the one who posted this message on the french forum. I will try to explain a little better than the translation above, hopefully:
From the French forum I realized that the throttle would be interesting to test although it is illegal in France (only PAS is allowed). It appears that the throttle at maximum gives more power than the maximum given with the PAS. I measured the maximum current pulled on the battery anb with the PAS it is 11Amps while with the throttle it is over 16amps. Do not understand why Bafang did not allow the same power with the PAS...Anyway I cannot use the tthrottle in France. This is why I made an adaptation with a "boost switch": the throttle delivers a voltage between 0.8V to 3.57V whn the throttle is in the max position. And the 3 positions of power on the display still allow trimming the power.
So I added an external PAS on the bike and some amplification (2 transistors + resistors) that delivers 3.57V whan I pedal and when the switch is on. So when the switch is off I am on the PAS in normal mode and when the switch is on I am still on the PAS (motor works only if I pedal) but with the maximum power as given by the throttle. Now I can climb a slope more than 15% without effort ( 95kg). My motor is a BDS01 rated 36V/250W and I a have a NEXUS 8. I consider that with the boost this motor delivers 500W power. And no extra heat after 2.5km at 15% slope: could keep my hand on the motor. hope this explaination was clear...

cinou83

Opps... sorry, should have include you name in the quote. France Google translation was not that good. Thanks for the explanation. Throttle is illegal in australia as well... but not enforce for now until someone gets killed. This how the laws works in Oz.

I am surprise there is so much interests in France?

The vendor here has a program to reprogram the PAS for max output..

throttle's are illegal over there? wow, the good ole USA is not as tyrant about things as I thought we would be. Maybe this is a free country after all. :D

over here, e-bikes are still not mainstream. So cops and the general public just see it as another ordinary bike.

cinou83 said:
Melbourne said:

I am the one who posted this message on the french forum. I will try to explain a little better than the translation above, hopefully:
From the French forum I realized that the throttle would be interesting to test although it is illegal in France (only PAS is allowed). It appears that the throttle at maximum gives more power than the maximum given with the PAS. I measured the maximum current pulled on the battery anb with the PAS it is 11Amps while with the throttle it is over 16amps. Do not understand why Bafang did not allow the same power with the PAS...Anyway I cannot use the tthrottle in France. This is why I made an adaptation with a "boost switch": the throttle delivers a voltage between 0.8V to 3.57V whn the throttle is in the max position. And the 3 positions of power on the display still allow trimming the power.
So I added an external PAS on the bike and some amplification (2 transistors + resistors) that delivers 3.57V whan I pedal and when the switch is on. So when the switch is off I am on the PAS in normal mode and when the switch is on I am still on the PAS (motor works only if I pedal) but with the maximum power as given by the throttle. Now I can climb a slope more than 15% without effort ( 95kg). My motor is a BDS01 rated 36V/250W and I a have a NEXUS 8. I consider that with the boost this motor delivers 500W power. And no extra heat after 2.5km at 15% slope: could keep my hand on the motor. hope this explaination was clear...

Thanks, so you did make your own PAS controller that is attached to the thottel input, right? And you switch on your PAS that delivers 3.57V to the throttel input of the controller and overrul the internal PAS, as the throttel is the master?
So you could also add a Forumscontroller with an arduino nano to the thottel input, that controlls everithing including PAS and not use the Bafang PAS at all.

cinou83
To make clear the motor power requirements. Australia has more or less accepted EN15194 as the standard for electric bikes. I'm not too sure if it applies in all states yet. This requires that motors must have a maximum nominal continuous rating of 250w, which means that any motor marked 250w by the manufacturer is legal. So any BBS01 stamped "250w" is Ok, but not the ones stamped 350w, 500w or 750w. There's no power limit specified in EN15194, neither is there any requirement to measure the power during testing. You can increase the current to anything you want.

I have one of these on order with a 9ah battery. The question I have is how do these work with hydrologic disc brakes, I can change over to mechanical if it's a show stopper... but would rather not.

phillybill said:
I have one of these on order with a 9ah battery. The question I have is how do these work with hydrologic disc brakes, I can change over to mechanical if it's a show stopper... but would rather not.
You dont need to install the breaklevers that come with the system.

Throttle isn't illegal with 200W systems in Australia - but you must have PAS for 250W systems in Australia. Well, here in Victoria anyway.

I'll be 'reprogramming' mine here for throttle compliance by changing the markings outside the casing to say 200W, and moving to an external controller. And a 63V battery.
:lol:

--freeride-- said:
cinou83 said:
Melbourne said:

Thanks, so you did make your own PAS controller that is attached to the thottel input, right? And you switch on your PAS that delivers 3.57V to the throttel input of the controller and overrul the internal PAS, as the throttel is the master?
So you could also add a Forumscontroller with an arduino nano to the thottel input, that controlls everithing including PAS and not use the Bafang PAS at all.

Yes , you understood well what I did with only an extra pedal detector, a couple of transistors and a switch. I am an old hardware engineer, so I am quite reluctant to use a microcontroller.... But if somedody can reprogram the display to avoid this hardware modifiactaion I would be glad to test it!!! Thank you for your attention

lcrewse said:
For those wondering about the noise level on this motor, below is a short video where you can hear (or rather not hear) how quiet the motor is. Any tire noise, especially off-road completely drowns out the little noise it makes.

[youtube]jqsMRjOev3k[/youtube]

Hey lcrewse,

I was curious if y'all tried and big drops or jumps with this kit yet. I'm curious if this kit could take that sort of abuse.

kocoman said:
Has anyone who ordered from Asia who got had this item rejected by customs?

thanks

Just installed Li-ion Bottle battery and motor today... not bad was getting speed of nearly 50kph on Strava

Brought my kit/battery from CNEBIKES
Delivery time to Australia = 4weeks

PROBLEMS
-Missing installation instruction
-Missing throttle/brakes lever... not planing on using brake but throttle i would like.
-Connector from battery to motor was badly made
-Bottle Battery mount broke.. badly made screw/thread was not deep enough
-I ordered 48T chainring and they gave me 46T... after specifically asking for 48T.

Installation was very easy.... took a couple of hours... very quick due to missing thottle/brake

LCD display option:
1. rather than 26/700c, I set it to 10 wheel???
2. set the max speed to 35kph highest setting.
3. don't know what this setting is but you can choose "1", "2", "3".. i set to '3'??

took it for a spin with Strava Cycle and top speed was nearly 50kph on the flats... Not bad.

UPdATE: further testing...46T/11cog
flatout sprint was getting 50kph
Maintain a comfortable speed of 36-40kph... but if they gave me the correct chainring of 48T and could have got higher...might order a 52T

WP_20131024_006.jpg
View attachment 4
WP_20131024_009.jpg
Screenshot_2013-10-26-13-05-56.jpg
Screenshot_2013-10-26-13-06-10.jpg
Screenshot_2013-10-26-13-06-48.jpg

skyungjae said:
lcrewse said:
For those wondering about the noise level on this motor, below is a short video where you can hear (or rather not hear) how quiet the motor is. Any tire noise, especially off-road completely drowns out the little noise it makes.

Hey lcrewse,

I was curious if y'all tried and big drops or jumps with this kit yet. I'm curious if this kit could take that sort of abuse.

As the kit has a square tapered axle, you should not expect to much.
Drops with a full suspension and a smooth landing won't be a problem, but a flat drop on a hardtail will proberbly not be the best Idea.
I will use it for trailsriding and normal Jumps on a 140mm-160mm fully and don't expect any Problems... riding smooth!

--freeride-- said:
I will use it for trailsriding and normal Jumps on a 140mm-160mm fully and don't expect any Problems... riding smooth!

Tell me how it goes. I was able to bend my GNG bottom bracket spindle so easily simply hitting a small dip on a trail. I was on a Kona Stinky with 170mm/7in of very plush travel. Though the build quality of the GNG BB is crap, it's still something I worry about regarding square tapered spindles. Riding is just no fun without jumping off anything that resembles a ramp, bombing down stairs, and dropping off ledges. :lol:

Melbourne said:
Just installed Li-ion Bottle battery and motor today... not bad was getting speed of nearly 40kph on Strava

Brought my kit/battery from CNEBIKES
Delivery time to Australia = 4weeks

PROBLEMS
-Missing installation instruction
-Missing throttle/brakes lever... not planing on using brake but throttle i would like.
-Connector from battery to motor was badly made
-Bottle Battery mount broke.. badly made screw/thread was not deep enough
-I ordered 48T chainring and they gave me 46T... after specifically asking for 48T.

40 kph - Hey that's good to know, my 350W should arrive in Ballarat shortly. PM me if you need me to pop a throttle in the mail - I'd be keen to know if it changes the output greatly.

Back