new ebike build what do you think?

True. I was assuming if he changed the controller to a 50 amps one, he'd ride it full throttle. But even then, it would be unlikely to pull 50 amps once at speed. 50 amps with enough voltage, and then together it would make enough watts to melt smaller motors.

But if he had less voltage, then the max speed might only require 5 amps. So that's what the cruising speed would pull, 5 amps.

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__10264__XT60_Harness_for_2_Packs_in_Series_1pc_.html

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__8586__ZIPPY_Flightmax_5000mAh_6S1P_25C.html x2

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__6478__IMAX_B6_AC_Charger_Discharger_1_6_Cells_GENUINE_.html

my idea would be to unhook the batteries from the series connector and charge them individually then when i want to ride my ebike use the series connector to hook both batteries together for 44.4 volt 5 ah please let me know if i have forgot anything i need to make this work

mrfeelgooddrag26 said:
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__10264__XT60_Harness_for_2_Packs_in_Series_1pc_.html

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__8586__ZIPPY_Flightmax_5000mAh_6S1P_25C.html x2

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__6478__IMAX_B6_AC_Charger_Discharger_1_6_Cells_GENUINE_.html

my idea would be to unhook the batteries from the series connector and charge them individually then when i want to ride my ebike use the series connector to hook both batteries together for 44.4 volt 5 ah please let me know if i have forgot anything i need to make this work

The batteries have hxt 4mm bullets, why you buying xt60 serial connecter? You can just plug the bullets together to series it.

You should get some spare bullets for your charger and for when they vaporize

Probably get some battery monitor/alarms to go beep beep when you run your battery low

What bike/motor you got, you won't get to far on 4ah

mrfeelgooddrag26 said:
sorry wrong link for the series connector i ment to post a different link for a bullet style series connector
If you're in the USA be sure to order your batteries from the HK's US warehouse, is what people here have advised before. Also if you leave your browser page open on the battery for long enough you get a one-time discount offer. If you don't get the offer delete the hobbyking cookie in your browser and try again.

Animalector said:
liveforphysics said:
My bicycle runs 50Ah at 116v.

What happens is you have a ton of energy to use. It's pretty nice.

Pics of that bike.. must be a moto? that's a lot of battery :twisted:

Nope. It's just a reasonable mans bicycle.

I am actually battery current power limited, and they are quite stiff cells.

I can't speak for Lead Acid batteries - other than for the awesome amount of cranking amps :twisted:

...but when I through the saddlebags on top of my commuter pack - that brings me up to 50Ah (albeit 63V). With that capacity I can pretty much go nearly 100 miles on a single charge, climbing some pretty good hills at a pleasant 28 mph clip.

I also get this happy EV grin on my face for the next 24 hours (and I've heard it's contagious). Mixes well with beer :mrgreen:

Happy trails, KF

The charger is 50w, it will be rather slow. I run the same 5Ah and 240w takes about 90mins. Your looking at 7 or 8 hours.

I did a thread with these packs, showing how to do it for $100 inc p&p from bmsbattery. A company you might want to snag a few more bits from while your there.
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=56886&p=848236&hilit=protected#p848236
I used the star harness too. It made the drawing work. For MSpaint it's a masterpiece, but I must try harder.. I intend to photo my own shortly.

The charger is 50w, it will be rather slow. I run the same 5Ah and 240w takes about 90mins. Your looking at 7 or 8 hours.

I did a thread with these packs, showing how to do it for $100 inc p&p from bmsbattery. A company you might want to snag a few more bits from while your there.
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=56886&p=848236&hilit=protected#p848236
I used the star harness too. It made the drawing work. For MSpaint it's a masterpiece, but I must try harder..

If your proper strapped, the b6 with separate psu is a bit cheaper on ebay. It's really model gear though. You should build a full time protection system with easy plug in charging. Really.

Welcome to ES****Do this before your first post or now (it's retroactive)*****
Please go to the User Control Panel, select Profile, and then enter your city, state/province, and country into the Location field (country minimum) and save it. Once done, your location will appear in every post so you won't have people asking where you are ever again. This will help people help you. Example: Wylie, TX, USA. or just USA, but country as a minimum, and country is the most important. There are many cities with the same name all over the world. Without knowing what country you are in it's hard to make any recommendations. Thank you.
Look at the red connector on the lipo pack. It will split apart making a positive and negative connector.to put 2 packs in series, just plug the black wire from one into the red wire of the second. That's all there is to it. you don't even have to split the connector on the second one if you don't want to. Don't make this crap hard with parts you don't need. When you fill in your location, I'll recommend what and where to buy your lipo. And what size pack are you planning on putting together, 5 10, 40ah.

You would be better off getting a Sunthing 48v 20ah lifepo4 battery, going cheap with a 20 amp draw controller. Or a Ping. This will fit on a bike. Sla's work good for 30 days then start loseing ah's fast. As they are made for starting and spend the rest of the time being charged to full. Keeping full all the time and not being fully drain. Which kills all sla. Not good for use in ebike as very costly to use and keep replacing.

999zip999 said:
You would be better off getting a Sunthing 48v 20ah lifepo4 battery, going cheap with a 20 amp draw controller. Or a Ping. This will fit on a bike. Sla's work good for 30 days then start loseing ah's fast. As they are made for starting and spend the rest of the time being charged to full. Keeping full all the time and not being fully drain. Which kills all sla. Not good for use in ebike as very costly to use and keep replacing.

not true my first ebike was sla and i rode it for over a two years no issues with them losing power or range i got a constant 12 miles of range from the time i built it till the time i sold it it was 36 volts with 12 ah of sla never had an issue didnt really notice the extra weight either

im buying one of these for a electric scooter im working on its a shwinn s500 500 watt motor and controller 24 volts the battery is 25.9 volts higher than the 24 volts of the scooter but you can safely run 36 volts on this scooters stock controller no modifications with no issues so im pretty sure 25.9 volts will be perfectly safe to run my question is what charger do i need its a 7s battery so it has 7 cells right? most chargers ive seen only do up to 6 cell batteries so wqith that in mind what charger can i use to charge this for not alot of money?
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__21384__ZIPPY_Compact_5800mAh_7S_25C_Lipo_Pack.html

j/

Stick to SLA....

i dont plan on staying with sla's but i also have not convinced myself to shell out the money to buy lipo batteries and chargers so i can get hands on practice building and using and charging lipo safely in reality im not really going to learn much about how to use or build or charge a lipo pack for an ebike till i do it myself im trying to read up and ask as many questions as i can but in reality it seems like we speak different languages. half of the stuff people reply with i dont understand because i have no knowledge of lipo systems im a noob at this basically i need somebody to give me a step by step guide to making lipo work you know like i need every single step of making a pack layed out in black and white with every single part and piece listed and i need to know how to operate it safely after its built and i have yet to come across such a noob guide

to operate we speak different planguages. have noob at the step guide
i can black for and ask and using and i need some a pack as makingle pack lan built an on stand piece like we stuff people stems im not come across some a pack an get this building to give yet this batteries ask as many questions and i need as i have yet to know to know how lipo shell i also half of many questions ask as making lipo pack for ands on practice built and white we stuff people sted as many questions as making

Ykick said:
to operate we speak different planguages. have noob at the step guide
i can black for and ask and using and i need some a pack as makingle pack lan built an on stand piece like we stuff people stems im not come across some a pack an get this building to give yet this batteries ask as many questions and i need as i have yet to know to know how lipo shell i also half of many questions ask as making lipo pack for ands on practice built and white we stuff people sted as many questions as making

^^^^ weird

Your bike goes about 45-50 miles before needing a recharge. You fall over a few times because the bike is very heavy and you loose your balance at red lights. You learn to let the bike go and jump off of it because when it falls over at the stop lights your legs get scratched up when the bike falls on them. You swear a lot because it hurts. You learn to hold the heavy bike up and wonder why you wanted such a heavy bike in the first place.

Your could also start here: http://www.endless-sphere.com/w/index.php/Building_a_LiPo_Battery_Pack

:D

e-beach said:
Your bike goes about 45-50 miles before needing a recharge. You fall over a few times because the bike is very heavy and you loose your balance at red lights. You learn to let the bike go and jump off of it because when it falls over at the stop lights your legs get scratched up when the bike falls on them. You swear a lot because it hurts. You learn to hold the heavy bike up and wonder why you wanted such a heavy bike in the first place.

Your could also start here: http://www.endless-sphere.com/w/index.php/Building_a_LiPo_Battery_Pack

everybody keeps giving me that stupid link and i have not found anything useful to help me build my own battery pack unless its a blow by blow tutorial dont send it to me. im tired of reading the same stuff over and over thats not telling me what i want to know. i want to know what parts i need batteries chargers wires connectors tools ect ect what parts i need to make serial cables paralle cables ect how to make them materials needed diagrams and pictures on how to do it would suffice also i want to know how to charge the setup step by step instructions on how to safely charge my new battery pack. i need good tutorials with pictures videos i basically need somebody to tell me every single step i need to take to build a functioning pack and nobody seems to be able to help me with this.

why don't you just buy a pre-built battery pack if you want to upgrade the battery from lead???
no one will probably spell it out for you because it can be dangerous.. even for "the experts"..
its about like asking for step by step instructions on how to burn your house down.. :shock:
it can of course be done but its best to know your limits or at least look (research) before you jump..
here is a good place to start.. : http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=17371

mrfeelgooddrag26 said:
everybody keeps giving me that stupid link and i have not found anything useful to help me build my own battery pack unless its a blow by blow tutorial dont send it to me. im tired of reading the same stuff over and over thats not telling me what i want to know. i want to know what parts i need batteries chargers wires connectors tools ect ect what parts i need to make serial cables paralle cables ect how to make them materials needed diagrams and pictures on how to do it would suffice also i want to know how to charge the setup step by step instructions on how to safely charge my new battery pack. i need good tutorials with pictures videos i basically need somebody to tell me every single step i need to take to build a functioning pack and nobody seems to be able to help me with this.

Didn't mean to get you so fluffed up there........ :D

Ok, you really are new to this aren't you? Sounds like you are a visual learner, so am I. It is BTW it is one of the three main learning styles.

Here's the problem. What you asked for takes time to learn in a trial and error sort of way. Nobody is going to spoon feed it to you in a step by step way that that would take them long hours research, to write, to photograph, to tape, to edit the video to post etc. At least they are not going to give it to you free. It takes too long a time to make a whole "How To" and not get paid for it.

You need to learn this stuff on your own. If you need to use video to understand lipo, start with this.
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=rc battery basics&sm=12

Learn as much about the basics then get 2 RC lipo batteries and learn how to parallel them. Learn how to wire them in series, Then how to balance charge them.

Do you have:
A good soldering iron?
A good Digital multimeter?
Wire stripping pliers?
A balance Charger?
A power supply for your balance charger?
A safe fireproof place to charge your lipo batteries so you don't burn your house down?

Nobody is going to spoon feed you around here, just like the rest of the world is not going to spoon feed you. You have to put in the time to learn it yourself.

BTW.....Pop quiz (and this is not an open book quiz. You have to answer from what you learned from the links we have given you.)

How many volts is a lipo 1s pack?
How hot is a 12s pack of lipo hot off the charger?
What insures (if functioning properly) individual cell voltages remain balanced while charging and discharging?
What multiplied by what equals watts? (? X ? = Watts?)

If you got 100% of the answers right without reading the links we sent you, then you don't need to read those "stupid" links anymore. But if you didn't get 100% correct answers, I guess those links aren't so stupid after-all.

Yes a 7S battery has 7 cells in series.

Depends on your idea of "not a lot of money" and how much you value customer service, warranty, balance accuracy & precision.
The cheapest I know of is iMax B8+ or Turnigy Accucel 8, but I'm sure there are others. May last one use or may last a lifetime.

Higher priced units available from Thunder 1220 (some good user recommendations on ES), iCharger, Hyperion etc.

1s lipo is 3.4 volts

12s lipo would be 50 volts off the charger

a balance charger a battery balancer a battery medic also you could in a perfect situation hook a volt meter up to each individual balance lead if im not mistaken and check the voltage to each cell when its full charged to test for balance in the cells

voltage times amp hours will give you watts ie motor voltage is 48 volts pack amp hours is 20 48 x 20 is 960 divide buy 35 a mile is 27.4 miles estimated range of the pack but thats in a perfect world

i was looking at the imaxb8 but i read reviews that said when balancing that they are not very accurate at keeping the same voltage each cell but i dont know i have never used one i would love to here your take on this

also i dont have a soldering rig just yet im getting this soon though
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2in1-SMD-Soldering-Rework-Station-Hot-Air-Iron-852D-5Tips-ESD-PLCC-BGA-/301064784496?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4618dc0a70

as soon as i have the extra money to get it , my friend has the same unit and he loves it

most of the stuff on your list i still need to get as for charging it will most likely take place in my garage inside of a metal toolbox or something that will retain fire and heat i might use a old charcoal grill i have in my back yard clean it up to charge my lipo in aleast if its in there i know it will hold there fire in and wont spread this is also where i will store my lipo when not in use for safety measure although i will never leave my lipo charging unattened if its charging im gunna be right there watching making sure it dosent fail

Back