New Giant DH Team/Cromotor build thread

Nice Job Obiwan.. I've just "speed read" your thread so excuse if I've missed the answer to my question :oops: What charger set up are you using?
I've built a Kona stinky just now and the small triangle was tough & I've made up an ali closure too.. I'm using 24s 2p 10 ah though (non cro) Currently charging with an Hyperion.

Cheers

jon

I had been using a meanwell 13 amp power supply to a 306B I charger for my other bike and decided to go to the chargers max capacity so for this project I got hold of two of icecube57s converted Dell chargers connected in series. This brings me up to the chargers max of 30 amps. I'm using the icecube style of anderson harness that serieses up the packs going to the controller and then unplugs to accept the charger harness that puts everything in parallel. It pretty convenient. I balance charge maybe every 20 the charge or so whether it needs it or not. If you have not checked out his site it is here:
http://lipoconnectionsolutions.com. Also, he is a prolific youtube poster with all sorts of videos of interest to the subject. Icecube578 is his handle there. All-in-all he has really been a strong contributor to this sport/hobby and very open with his help. Obiwan

Hey! Any updates? Mileage? Your thread is an awesome source of info for the DH Comp!

I got my swingarm back some time ago, and finally got my build rolling. Here's a link to my thread - http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=62135

Hey, Metalover your build is looking good had not seen it before now. Didn't know that Robb did your swingarm how was he to work with from a distance (others will want to know). I just sent another ES member his way. I love mine and it appears to still be rock solid. I just now looked at the welds and there are no indications of stress in the powder coat at all. My current mileage is around 600 miles. As for updates, well... There was the cruise control mod that allowed me to use the external bar-mounted cruise control in conjunction with the CA V3. I love it! It was a pain to work it out but Techelectik held my hand and now it works perfect and safe. I swithches out the 450lb rear spring for a 600lb one and it is much better (rear suspension too squishy before). I am currently trying to figure out how to get some extra gearing options. My 3speed freewheel can only use two of the gears without the deraileur rubbing so I have to either shim it out or do something else. I want to figure out exactly what I am going to do before I try to take the freewheel off since I will likely have to disassemble it to get it off. I would love to just go with a white brothers dos eno freewheel:
image.jpg
and a schlumpf high speed drive but that is pretty spendy. Haunting the ebay/Craig's/pinkbike market right now. I think you are right about going with the 160mm drop-out width though since by my measurements you would then be able to put a 4 speed freewheel in there. They are rare and expensive normally but they do exist (I've seen em) in 14/16/18/22 by Atom with English threads. Regarding your brake disk alignment issue. Reread the method I used on mine. I have not seen it done this way anywhere else before (putting the disk behind the disk adapter) but it was fairly easy to do and has worked perfectly for me. It also has other benefits like a better escapement for the motor wires. This method allows you to dial in where the disc sits in relation to the the caliper mounting which has been a problem for most Giant DH projects. You can use just about any caliper this way rather than having to find one with a thin profile for fitting next to the motor. I have subscribed to your thread and am expecting good things. I'll especially want to hear how you like the max-e and the costs. I have been itching to do another project and may go with that system next time. To that end I acquired another Cromotor just last week from an unlikely source but let's just say that the acquisition phase has begun :D! I am. Urgently helping a friend build a commuter bike and did a wire upgrade on a damaged 4060 that turned out really good. Obiwan

Cool news! I looked at your disc mounting and like it. I will hopefully get Kiwi adapters soon and really see how the dropouts are. He used the adapters to measure yours, but with mine he had to modify his jig.

I really like your solution with the disc not just for clearance, but also I won't have to dish my wheel as much. I have plenty of clearance with the axle but it looks like my disc will hit the frame. Again, I'll see once I have some kind of adapters.

And I'm pumped for my build! Over 4 years since my last.. I can't wait!

Oh that's right, I forgot that he made that jig for mine with the adapters installed. Well your jig will be more universal for others in the future. I only used common shop tools for the inverted disc process (drill press, belt grinder, etc.) except the final dimensioning of the disk adapter to a thinner profile. For that I used my little benchmaster mill ( I love that thing). I don't know what tools you have available to you but if you need yours milled down I will be happy to do it. Obiwan

A mill sounds fun! Thanks for the offer! I will wait and see how things fit when I get my dropout adapters in.

I also could learn to use a mill at my university in 4-5 weeks. They have crazy stuff there; a friction stir welder and laser deposition welder, aka a titanium 3d printer!

I'll definitely post measurements once my adapters get put on!

Back