New, Need Advice Thanks

A frt. mount of that motor will be fine. just keep the power dialed down most of the time.
At most, something like this will be an ocassional occurance;
You come around a slow corner onto a slight uphill and the pavement is damp from the morning dew.
You give it a bit too much "gas"and the tire spins several times.
It doesn't throw you off or anything, in fact it's fun when you know it's coming.
As usual, Dave's(D8veh)advice is spot on. You certinaly didn't need a big powerful motor that folks here think everyone has to have.
Although your kit is supposed to be all inclusive, obviously you will need some other things, not the least the battery.
Both Dave and I are fans of BMS Battery. They are the biggie, ebike stuff supplier in china, and I would recommend you place one order(hopefully), to secures everything else you will need. Contact Jack Xie to get everything correct. His English is fine.
Aside from the battery(follow my advice in previous post), some other things to get are as follows.
The hidden brake sensor. In case you are still a little fuzzy on how this works, your kit will have new handles in your kit that have switchs in them that goes to the controller. many don't like the handles and use the hidden brake sensor, an external switch.
Various PAS discs. The different discs are bottom bracket type dependent. These are cheap, so try an ID the one in your kit and buy the other style.
Same with throttles. The key in making these orders is options. The stuff that is inexpensive, we usualy get an assortment as it's the shipping that is the greatest expense. I like left-hand, half-twist throttle on the left side.
And a pair of their torque arms. these are easy to install with frt. mounts.
Building your wheel-you can get a rim and spokes here. I like Alex rims and I use(as per Dave's recommendation)regular 14 ga. bicycle spokes in a 2X pattern. I my case, I order a box of DT Swiss stainless steel spokes. A little pricey, but they are beautiful. Of course, determining the lenght is needed. Search and learn about EDR and there a couple sites that list motors and converts spoke lenghts.
Good luck.

Ok, front hub xiongda it is. You don't have to have the motor drag on the downhill, just keep the brakes maintained like everybody else in Colorado must.

Its a good choice, I just couldn't say from experience how it would hold up on the really long uphill rides you are planning. I haven't road tested that motor. Others love it, and swear it climbs cool.

Re the balance, I was thinking if you went rear hub, then finding a way to put the battery up front would regain your needed balance. Either approach will balance the weight.

Controller, I would just find a way to make a metal bracket, allowing it to attach to the bike right under the seat. It looks like the driest place on the bike. Controller will need wind to cool it, but keeping it dry is real good too.

Dan, I know that most would use the rear, but I like my gears. I'm used to where I need to click them for the road ahead and don't want to go down to a 7 speed cassette.
I'll create a mounting bracket for the controller under the seat. I do have loads of under bike storage. Thanks. And it's my intention to keep the power dialed down as low as I can for most of the ride. Thanks for that motormech.

I also like that having two separate front rims, one E and one regular on the front, means fairly easy swap out for flat, training days. I've got loads of zip ties!

I've also selected a satisfactory battery, bms, 48v 15ah, 800w (the motor gvies only 300w max and 33kph max speed, that I won't be using) so I think the 800w is okay.

On my way to NOLA tomorrow, staying in the French Quarter until Tuesday. In case there are ebike peeps who want to show off their builds. :)

Thanks!!
Ginny

imagesinthewind said:
I also like that having two separate front rims, one E and one regular on the front, means fairly easy swap out for flat, training days. I've got loads of zip ties!
Sorry but swapping wheels is going to be a hassle with a torque arm and no more quick release.

That's right, and the whole idea of having a type of hybred that can be used with the power assist and without just doesn't work.
Even without the batteries, the motor will have enough drag to be noticiable. Even the smallest and easiest free wheeling motors are noticiable, I'm sure why.
And on my assist bike, which is a minimal system with quick connectors and uses velcro instead of Zip-Ties, it takes me about 15 min. to get everything off. And then there are the lights, voltmeter, cargo bag and all the stuff ebike riders tend to accumulate.
It's just not practicable to go back and forth.

Back