Nuvinci CVT hub

A great cost effective option for shifting UNDER LOAD or stopped is Srams Dual Drive Hub. After over 20,000 in 1600 watt testing I am a BELIEVER! You can still find the 3 speed internal 3 speed geard hubs at about $150 or less.Quality tandom bike companies use them too. The perk is that with the free hub is a grat place to mount 2 freewheels and sprockets for two INDEPENDENT chain drives both sharing the 3 hub gears in common with total freewheeling!
Another option is the 5 speed Sparc. hub motor. How much does the Da Vinci Cost ?
http://www.roman-road.co.uk/prices/

EbikeMaui said:
How much does the Da Vinci Cost ?
approx 500 bucks

EbikeMaui said:
The perk is that with the free hub is a grat place to mount 2 freewheels and sprockets for two INDEPENDENT chain drives both sharing the 3 hub gears in common with total freewheeling!

That's cool. (how do you "broach" the clutch bearing for spline-mount?)

EbikeMaui said:
Another option is the 5 speed Sparc. hub motor.

That's cool too. Price?

:D

Lowell said:
So the power transmission ability is a function of the size and number of balls... :lol:

Depends on how hard you want to push with your legs.. 8)

To the tune of "Colonel Bogey March"

Hitler has only got one ball,
Göring has two but very small,
Himmler is somewhat sim'lar,
But poor old Goebbels has no balls at all.

:shock:

TylerDurden said:
EbikeMaui said:
How much does the Da Vinci Cost ?
approx 500 bucks

EbikeMaui said:
The perk is that with the free hub is a grat place to mount 2 freewheels and sprockets for two INDEPENDENT chain drives both sharing the 3 hub gears in common with total freewheeling!

That's cool. (how do you "broach" the clutch bearing for spline-mount?)

EbikeMaui said:
Another option is the 5 speed Sparc. hub motor.

That's cool too. Price?

:D
First you have a die maker make a die to spec then use a broaching machine. OR for anyone with a lathe or a drill press the freewheel threads can be ground down to a press fit onto the freehub and captive pin hole drilled with 1/8" titanium Drill bit if you know what you are doing.A pn is then inserted holding each freewheel securly from spinning on the freehub. :) Not as hard as anyone may think espically if the freewheel company will do it all for you.Just like sliding on a cassette! or two.

PS. I use a broached auto transmission one way roller bearing for the motor drive that a sprocket hub clamps to with one bolt.With 1600 watts of power banging at a BMX freewheel it will be the only weakest part but they still last a long time and cost only $7. to replace.Mine never did break in 1 years use but I did not like play or slop bangng the hub gear doggies so hard after coasting then powering up fast
with 1600 watts of power (just to be safe)..The tranny clutch bearing has 0 play and is OVERKILL but so is the rest of my lightweight system at a frendly price. IF you know how to DYI and find the parts you need.

Richard Statton was going to make the complete freewheels for me 4 years ago so I am sure he can put a Sram DD system together if he relized the advanages over derailer and gearbox use.He may just yet go there... :idea:

The 5 speed Sparc is about $500. complete with motor and batteries.
If 100 complete ebikes with my 1600 watt system were made a complete ebike would cost $500. to make or $1000. each retail if overr 1,000 units were made..... IF THERE WAS A MARKET LOL better yet ..if there was a marketer with $$ ! that had titanium Balls.

At the wholesale level, the NuVinci might add 200-300 bucks to the price of your bike. It could also add some additional brand-strength to the total concept.

The tricky part is not the branding or the titanium balls, it's the legal hurdles in the islands. That situation will take real lubrication.

If you can demonstrate marketability in the contiguous 48, you might get some VC attention.

:?

TylerDurden said:
At the wholesale level, the NuVinci might add 200-300 bucks to the price of your bike. It could also add some additional brand-strength to the total concept.

The tricky part is not the branding or the titanium balls, it's the legal hurdles in the islands. That situation will take real lubrication.

If you can demonstrate marketability in the contiguous 48, you might get some VC attention.

:?
It is much more important to run a motor through a adjustable ratio than JUST having a whimpy addition of 75 watts of human power use such a expensive hub.Espicaly when a Sram DD hub works perfect for both pedaling and motor power going through the 3 speed hub.And it only cost 60 bucks whosale.Go figure. :lol:

I think the NuVinci was rated for a bunch more power than could safely be put through an Sram hub.

Lowell said:
I think the NuVinci was rated for a bunch more power than could safely be put through an Sram hub.
Thinking and doing are quite different! It depends who is doing the rating opposed to REAL WORLD testing.Ask Bike Friday Bike and Tandem owners if they have had any Sram Dual Drive Hub failures.
How would you hook up a Da vinci to be used with both the Motor and pedals with a direct drive motor to the hub trans as well as a muli speeds for pedaling? without a derailer ? for under 60 bucks ? A statton hub alone cost over twice that for a 1 speed hub.If you wanted to use a 1 motor speed the disc brake mount a Sram DD hub can support the motor Drive sprocket and utilize the 3 speeds foe pedaling and would still be hundreds less than a D Vin and much stronger. 2000 watts of power will NOT break the Sram/Sachs hub if put together right. Everyones in dreamland with a variable that has not been well tested while Sachs has been making millions of quality motorcycle and bicycle gearboxes for a long time,,.. :lol: Sorry but I have to laugh the irony of paying more for less because a hub has a Da Vinci sticker...

EbikeMaui said:
Everyones in dreamland with a variable that has not been well tested while Sachs has been making millions of quality motorcycle and bicycle gearboxes for a long time,,.. :lol:

Right.

so let's throw out the baby with the bathwater & not even give baby a chance to crawl, let alone run. :roll:

Toorbough ULL-Zeveigh said:
EbikeMaui said:
Everyones in dreamland with a variable that has not been well tested while Sachs has been making millions of quality motorcycle and bicycle gearboxes for a long time,,.. :lol:

Right.

so let's throw out the baby with the bathwater & not even give baby a chance to crawl, let alone run. :roll:
That works both ways. Who else has tried out the latest Sram DD Hub WITH a 200 to 2000 watts of motor power through the gears ? let alone pedal power at the same time using the 3 speeds?
A arguement won;t change the facts.keep on testing! The baby you speak of has a lot longer to to go before it makes any grades..

EbikeMaui said:
Toorbough ULL-Zeveigh said:
EbikeMaui said:

Right.

That works both ways. Who else has tried out the latest Sram DD Hub WITH a 200 to 2000 watts of motor power through the gears ? let alone pedal power at the same time using the 3 speeds?
A arguement won;t change the facts.keep on testing! The baby you speak of has a lot longer to to go before it makes any grades..

If it's working on electric golf carts hauling clubs & fat a$$e$ over the greens then odds are that it will hold up on a bike.

Interesting question might be:

Would a Nuvinci hub give more advantage and more buzz in the bike world for Randy's rig?

Venture capital would be interested in seeing a viable product in "the lower 48", not just in HI... could a sexy version of the Maui-bike with a NuVinci be a seller?

For that matter does the bike really need gearing, for anything but volcano climbs?

:?:

EbikeMaui said:
Lowell said:
Thinking and doing are quite different! It depends who is doing the rating opposed to REAL WORLD testing.Ask Bike Friday Bike and Tandem owners if they have had any Sram Dual Drive Hub failures.
How would you hook up a Da vinci to be used with both the Motor and pedals with a direct drive motor to the hub trans as well as a muli speeds for pedaling? without a derailer ? for under 60 bucks ? A statton hub alone cost over twice that for a 1 speed hub.If you wanted to use a 1 motor speed the disc brake mount a Sram DD hub can support the motor Drive sprocket and utilize the 3 speeds foe pedaling and would still be hundreds less than a D Vin and much stronger. 2000 watts of power will NOT break the Sram/Sachs hub if put together right. Everyones in dreamland with a variable that has not been well tested while Sachs has been making millions of quality motorcycle and bicycle gearboxes for a long time,,.. :lol: Sorry but I have to laugh the irony of paying more for less because a hub has a Da Vinci sticker...

I have no use for either system personally, but the NuVinci has more market appeal IMO. Combine a CVT inside a good hub motor and you'd have an unbeatable combination that can easily be fitted to any bike.

Sachs does make quality products though. I've used their clutches on Porsches and Audis with excellent results.

When someone puts together an ebike that can go more than 40mph up a 10% grade I'll be interested in the setup. I think you're the one in dreamland trying to sell people on mountain climbing ebikes...

For you to think hub motors are a solution for everyone is farther off.
I have found the most cost effective solution rifgt NOW to climb hills above 10% with above 90% efficiency at 20 mph (whthout a need to pedal if you wish.) and go fast on the flats.Where I live the world is not flat. To go 13 mph up a 30 % grade using a max of 1350 watts with great effciency using a 5 pound motor and able to go 47 mph with the same system only 3 hard ratios are needed.The Sram hub and good motor is made to do this is what no one else has even tried this YET.
Yet all the parts ARE available bicycle part made in prodution except for a broached bicycle freewheel and motor designd for the job.Yet this untested Magic hub that costs $500. Great thinking! The solution to hills and high speeds or any condition comes with using Sram DD that costs less than a derailer and replaces the need for them.Your loss is my gain. A single gear ratio with a chain drive can be used nicely to climb any hill and still get to 27 mph or more with a 5 lb motor winding out at 3600 Rpm or a 20 lb motor just starting up at 400 rpm.However the smaller motor that you can shift at any time for many conditions or increase in speed you have a efficient RPM and torque range in any of the gears at any rpm using a lighter load or full speed in any two of the lower ratios for going up steaper hills or into the heavy winds. BOGGING a huge Hub motor and wasting Ah is NOT a factor.A sram DD with 1 hp motor system will take any hill with ANY rider OR wheel size.. and you can eaisly limit your top speed if you wish.
http://tinyurl.com/ytd6wr
http://tinyurl.com/2z7dhj
http://tinyurl.com/yteudl
http://www.evworld.com/article.cfm?storyid=562

Attachments

• DualDriveEbike.jpg
    DualDriveEbike.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 2,973
I have no use for either system personally, but the NuVinci has more market appeal IMO. Combine a CVT inside a good hub motor and you'd have an unbeatable combination that can easily be fitted to any bike.

Sachs does make quality products though. I've used their clutches on Porsches and Audis with excellent results.
'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
Why a expensice variable when you can have 5 gears to fit any speed with a motor at the same price?
Market apeal ? Like scahs doesn't have any?
Where are all the millions of the quality DaVinci poducts they have designd and sold?

Attachments

• Sram Spark 5 speed.jpg
    Sram Spark 5 speed.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 2,956
Like I said, I have no use for either system, but the NuVinci would be of more interest as it can handle more power. I would not want something that decreases the performance of my bike...

On the way home from work tonight I hit 48mph up a 4.25% grade, and earlier in the day I let a friend take it for spin and he managed 56.5mph on flat level ground. I'm still waiting for someone to show me a geared ebike that will outperform mine.

Randy: Why don't you put your money where your keyboard is and finance your ideas into mass production. See how they do head to head in the market place against hub motors.

EbikeMaui said:
Lowell said:

The pedal chain would work the same way as a Crystalyte hub, and the hub motor drive would be integrated with the NuVinci CVT. Since sales of your drive system are about the same as NuVinci (Zero) I don't think the price matters much at this point.
The only people in dreamland are the ones that dream about more efficient motors and changing the marketplace.

Lowell said:
EbikeMaui said:
Lowell said:

The pedal chain would work the same way as a Crystalyte hub, and the hub motor drive would be integrated with the NuVinci CVT. Since sales of your drive system are about the same as NuVinci (Zero) I don't think the price matters much at this point.
The only people in dreamland are the ones that dream about more efficient motors and changing the marketplace.
What Market Place is that? And who has a prototype of a hub motor driving a da vinci in the wheel ? Dreams ! :lol:

Why isn't your setup for sale anywhere if it's so good? If it was truly worthwhile, someone would have made knock offs on a production scale, since the info has been around on the internet for quite some time.

The NuVinci hub has no real availability yet, but at least it's a real product with real support.

Lowell said:
Why isn't your setup for sale anywhere if it's so good? If it was truly worthwhile, someone would have made knock offs on a production scale, since the info has been around on the internet for quite some time.

The NuVinci hub has no real availability yet, but at least it's a real product with real support.

Yep, it is a case of the randypot calling the nuvincikettle a kitchen utensil of color. :)

Actually someone has <A HREF="http://www.motocrossactionmag.com/ME2/dirmod.asp?sid=&nm=&type=news&mod=News&mid=9A02E3B96F2A415ABC72CB5F516B4C10&tier=3&nid=B15F09F058DD40A697D4295348E0E863">knocked off </A>his design & you (Lowell) already did post it. Only difference is 4 D-cells instead of the 2 as Randy has previously alluded to.

It's pointless asking Randy why his setup isn't for sale, not even a single customer. :roll: I've axed point blank the same question several times previous & everytime he comes up def, dum and/or blind.

It's interesting how the gear vs hub plus hillclimb threads have been very quiet lately as well. A few people said hub motors are no good on steep hills, so I went out of my way to find the steepest reasonably long hill within riding distance of my house, and they seem to have shut up. :lol:

Back