OpenSource Handheld Controller (E-go similar)

BadWolf, you're off to a great start! As soon as you want help there's a community to jump on it!

So I think we have been going about it all wrong regarding the controller rebuilds. I went back and read the OP, and I think I have a solution. I'll spend a few hours nutting it out tonight and see where I get, then hopefully test print it sometime this week if my pulleys have been printed yet.

I'll be back...

bandaro said:
So I think we have been going about it all wrong regarding the controller rebuilds. I went back and read the OP, and I think I have a solution. I'll spend a few hours nutting it out tonight and see where I get, then hopefully test print it sometime this week if my pulleys have been printed yet.

I'll be back...

Will be waiting.

Ive started working on my own design to fit the electronics from the GT2b into a 3d printed housing. Kinda hard to get the scale right but i used a photo of the electronics to try and fit everything properly. Let you know how things turn out.

Attachments

• remote start.png
    remote start.png
    115.6 KB · Views: 2,408
Yeah I know, it's been slow going I won't lie. Getting bogged down with the short week, detailing all the bosses/ribs/bolt points and free champagne. You would think having free access to 2 cubepro duo printers I would get things printed quickly, but still haven't got the pulleys printed, been queued for almost 2 weeks. But anyway, the CAD is basically done for the controller, I will try pushing things through over the weekend and get it started on monday. I would rather report back everything together to avoid confusion and keep it all clean, so hold tight.

On another note, really nice dashimsta. The more I look into it the more I realise the gt2B and E are different, but I have modelled all the components in creo parametrics, so if you want the parts in step form or otherwise, let me know. That goes to others too.

I like everything that I'm seeing from the previous two posts. Keep at it boys! I need a new micrometer to continue CAD work myself. Also, for those who want a free CAD software for hobbyist use, students, and small businesses that make less than 100k a year, I just came across Autodesk Fusion 360. Its a basic parametric modeling tool to get you started. Not trying to promote, just trying to help those here who may be interested in getting started with their own drawings.

@Bandaro, are you working on a GT2B(E) mod? or something similar to what Torque had in mind with the slide pot?

@Okp I bought some Sugru and some Instamorph too lol! Once I finish my homemade vacuum former i'm going to start on the GT2B mod.
Can you show us a couple pictures of your mod? I saw it in your recent video but it's not very clear :D

great stuff guys!

Here is a photo of the GT2b with the battery taped to the backside of the electronics and wires soldered directly to the tabs getting rid of the 3rd Channel PCB, I also trimmed the Triggers plastic frame, the Trigger will be held in place with one screw threw the main PCB and then a BOSS in the housing that will hold it by the potentiometer.

This is how i started my CAD file i imported this image into solidworks and started drawing ontop.

We should create some type of google Doc or something to enable us to share our CAD models. If ANYONE! wants to email me CAD files for controllers id love to see them! My email is

alan@alanschimmel.com

Alan

Alright, quick update on my concept development:

It's fully modeled and ready to go, it does have a few kinks/folds in the surface but I strongly doubt they will be visible with the quick 0.3mm extrusion printing I will be using. Might be visible on a high quality SLS printer, but I will smooth it all out pending the proto results. I have a client meeting/pitch on Monday morning, and a legal thing most likely all of Tuesday. So fingers crossed I get both machines going and all printed on Monday afternoon. The form is almost entirely driven by the function and technology available.

I also have ideas for concept 2 taking shape in my head, that will potentially fit better into a users hand, and be easier to control. Regarding this fit, is it worth experimenting with some AAA batteries as opposed to the AA? While the controller will be slightly smaller, as my current thinking goes it will be a more difficult conversion components wise. I will consider how the V1 fits/works, battery life and community preference for this when I start getting V2 onto paper.

Otherwise, that usb plug on the "B" circuit board looks really annoying! I have been working on the assumption that the E can be charged through the plug at the base of the control panel, can anyone confirm this? or better yet, provide a link to a charger for it, so I don't have to take it apart to change the batteries?

Finally had some time to finish my mod, been riding with it for about 50km now and feel like I'm happy enough with the design to share it.

Files + instructions can be found here:
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:768101

_MG_3885_2.jpg

_MG_3887_2.jpg

Hahaha nice work BadWolf! That is very sleak in black!
Looks like you relocated the on/off switch? What was the reason to relocate it?

You also changed the on/off switch.

Did you also relocate the USB pin?

What was the capacity of your small lipo?

Couldn't find a nice way of using the existing power switch so took one I had laying around.
Yep, I desoldered the USB-port so its on the back of the transmitter now (no more palm-stabbing).

Okp is right, capacity of the lipo is 250mAh, get almost a week worth of daily riding between charges.

More info is on the thingiverse link =)

How do you bind your receiver? It looks like you covered the bind button with the trigger mech? Looks Dope!

Went with a "low-poly" style for a few reasons, easier for me to edit while getting the fit right, think it prints better on most home 3d-printers and without support and I think it looks cool and different

With the case open you can still press down on the bind button, guys(/gals?) with bigger fingers can use a small screwdriver).

Okp, I can upload a video showing that it actually works if you want ;)

great ! guys, how hard is solid works to use ? I mean... I did some basic 3D stuff in the past as a hobby, but mainly extruding shape and making it 3D with 3D Studio ... no assembling of two pieces, just basic !

Getting real pieces to interface with digital files is always a challenge, but with solidworks i can import a photo in multiple Planes/Axis and use a dimension to scale the photo to the correct size, making it easier...

BadWolf i wasnt trying to be a dick and say it doesnt work just curious because im going to print a modified version of your files, im gunna make a power switch extension and try and utilize the stock power switch. i might also try and create a Palm "Swell" like a pistol has ie glock, and use the stock USB port too...maybe also a "pin hole" and pin to bind the reciever without taking it apart.

Food for thought

great work! :)

Back