OpenSource Handheld Controller (E-go similar)

bandaro said:
okp, do you have a printer and an E controller? Want to be my VIP guinea pig before the public release?

Assume you are planning on selling something? Count me in as a customer if you are, that is the perfect transmitter for what I need!

RRR! Got my files mixed up and printed the old version today! what a bummer! Have to find the new one, wherever it was saved...

Assume you are planning on selling something? Count me in as a customer if you are, that is the perfect transmitter for what I need!

Yes and no. I'll probably have it open source with paypal on a donation basis, to see if I can't make back the prototyping costs (this may lead to me buying and modelling a gt2B transmitter too then), and upload it to a shop on shapeways so anyone without a printer can buy a higher quality version printed from SLS nylon easily. I use shapeways in Holland because they are very good and fast for Australia, but I could set up something state side if everyone is there and it works out cheaper for you all, not fussed.

bandaro said:
Yes and no. I'll probably have it open source with paypal on a donation basis, to see if I can't make back the prototyping costs (this may lead to me buying and modelling a gt2B transmitter too then), and upload it to a shop on shapeways so anyone without a printer can buy a higher quality version printed from SLS nylon easily. I use shapeways in Holland because they are very good and fast for Australia, but I could set up something state side if everyone is there and it works out cheaper for you all, not fussed.

Let me know wht you end up doing!

the GT2E is powered by 4 AA (1.5V a total of 6V) cells... I am wondering if a 1S 500MaH (which is 3.7V) could do the deal or do I need a 2S 500mAH (7.4V)

DYN9103.jpg

OKP,

I'd recommend you go with 2S and then a voltage regulator down to 6V. The GT2E wants 5V and when you input 6V into it, the voltage regulator on the PCB doesnt work too hard and doesnt overheat. 7.4V might overheat the voltage regulator which will cause it to fail. It also might be perfectly fine, but I'd add a voltage regulator directly to the pack output cause its like a dollar in components, and cant hurt.

so....... Should we go with an Arduino based open source controller and/or a standard 2.4ghz RC controller?

I'm leaning more towards the Arduino based open source controller that way others can modify and/or tweak the code to their liking.

Problem is --- I lack the Arduino experience... Anyone game to help?

Sooo torqueboards, you want someone to develop a 2.4Ghz arduino controller when you can buy controllers remove their electronics and re-case them for less money. seems illogical as an arduino cost more than the GT2B

dashimsta said:
Sooo torqueboards, you want someone to develop a 2.4Ghz arduino controller when you can buy controllers remove their electronics and re-case them for less money. seems illogical as an arduino cost more than the GT2B

Well... in bulk its pretty much the same price. I wasn't looking for a one off. In that case a 3d printed enclosure would be better. :)

torqueboards said:
so....... Should we go with an Arduino based open source controller and/or a standard 2.4ghz RC controller?

I'm leaning more towards the Arduino based open source controller that way others can modify and/or tweak the code to their liking.

Problem is --- I lack the Arduino experience... Anyone game to help?

I don't know the arduino programming, but keen to sort out the controller ergonomics and control surfaces. I think the arduino is the way, because we have a much more modular/compact/changeable baseline of electronics to play with. What I would really like is an electronics package small enough to be mounted on the fingers/back of your hand so you can wear slide gloves and the controller. I have a few concepts floating around, but no electronics to support the size I'm after.

I can and have made 2 arduinos send serial data over wireless 2.4 ghz connection. It's not hard and there are micro versions of the arduino no larger than 1"x1" with an OLED LCD on one side. Something like this would be perfect. The 2.4ghz radio isnt small but it can be on a seperate PCB with a pigtail connector to enable perfect ergonomics of a controller. You guys should go on google and type in

2.4Ghz arduino wireless tutorial

Heres a Link to the OLED micro arduino i was talking about
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12923

Lots of good reading and its easy to pickup. The thing is I dont know the legality for a mass produced wireless devices like this hence why i believe an injection molded Case that fits widely available 2.4ghz electronics is the best bet and not reinventing the wheel as far as the circuit board.

Attachments

• Microview_Action.jpg
    Microview_Action.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 3,609
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10665

Here's another module that integrates both 2.4ghz and a microcontroller into one board and is only $19.99

Hey Okp, how are you getting on? are you out testing it hence the silence, or on your holiday?

The controller is ready, but dead in the water until I get the feedback from Okp, or does anyone else have a printer and gt2e and a desire to improve?

On another note, sealing my board up now with a hot coat, will trim and test fit the lid tomorrow. Then wire up the batteries, grip it, hope the trucks I have aren't too worn to fit the mounts and hook everything up. Still waiting for the digital relays too, they are late... I *think* I have all the other components needed on hand. Very happy about this memorial weekend too, get 15% off at socal! I need a few sets of everything for some customer builds!

hey, I just got back yesterday from south marocco... sahara! what a journey. beautiful.

I am sending your stl to printing tonight using 3Dhubs (costs around 30 USD in pla), will be able to provide feedback ASAP with a full review of the building and photos. My GT2E is ready unmounted, also got the epoxy ready.

socal is dope... one of my fav shops... until the EUR/USD came down... :(

Glad to hear you liked it over there!

Wasn't aware you didn't own a printer, I've never used the 3DHUBS so hope all goes well. But given 30USD, you might have been better going an extra 10? or whatever it is and getting shapeways to print it in SLS nylon, then I could have left all the high detailed sweeps of the tongues and stuff on there, but anyway. Shapeways will print it in a much, much higher resolution than you will get otherwise.

I know what you mean about conversion, the aussie dollar is buying about the lowest in 5 years, so everything is so expensive. Literally only using socal because I'm after a ronin truck that I can't find elsewhere in Australia or it would be cheaper locally. Despite the fact that I'm buying about 5 sets...

i finally had one of BadWolf's GT2B enclosures printed on a maker bot a friend of mine has access to. I can't wait to hack my remote and get this working. Its perfect for what i need.

However, if somebody was to throw down and have a batch of these guys injection molded, i would be a very happy man and would have found my ideal controller solution. I'd probably pay as much as $15 plus shipping for one. I'm sure i'm not the only one.

got bandaro enclosure being printed. cost me 25 USD in PLA 0.8mm but then covered with epoxy resin though 3DHubs.com with local pickup. The guy from the hub seems to be really involved and professional in its advices. Will keep you posted with the results !

live stream of bandaro enclosure while being printed - awesomeness !

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/ramkam2222?utm_campaign=ustre.am&utm_source=ustre.am%2FUkeh&utm_medium=social&utm_content=20150521134935

Back