Perth to Sydney by ebike - ride preparation

Bummer about the thun! Hopefully it dries out and comes good, that not a cheap fix if it's dead. On the plus side you shouldn't come across much axle deep water in the red centre :lol:

Hyena said:
Bummer about the thun! Hopefully it dries out and comes good, that not a cheap fix if it's dead. On the plus side you shouldn't come across much axle deep water in the red centre :lol:

I'm optimistic it will dry out fine and do accept that submersion is a challenge to seal against!

After the flooded crossing where the thun cut out completely, the PAS part (an encoder?) started up again and I could vary motor assistance while pedaling with the handlebar mounted pot (wired to CA's aux pot connector).

The human watts reading came back too, but not correctly. It would show hundreds of human watts with only moderate cadence and torque and may have been reading just pedal speed? I will ask Justin.

We are hoping for dry weather on the big trip but rain as we work our way around the WA coast is not out of the question.

In 30min get to have a hot shower and a dry change of clothes, woohoo!

This sounds cool, let us know when you are in Adelaide. I'm sure Pendragon would be keen to meet you guys too.

I am curious about the charging situation too, but it should be fine with a bit of communication. :)

Abracoils!
You need a large rear motor so you can keep the bottom bracket out of axle deep water. :twisted:
I though you were going rear and Maurice front?

@ Nanoha

You must be thinking of Hyena's belief that all problems and obstacles can be overcome with wheelies.

Maurice road in front pretty much the whole time, except crossing the flooded weir. He was hoping to get a video of me being swept downstream but instead he got a video at a terrible angle showing approximately nothing (and tilted sideways to boot), while I happily road across, failing to consider the possibility of thun submerging.

Here's a few more photos of me being happy the bikes were still motoring along!

ti torq wet rnp small.jpg
ti torq wet rnp 2 small.jpg

Architectonic said:
This sounds cool, let us know when you are in Adelaide. I'm sure Pendragon would be keen to meet you guys too.

I am curious about the charging situation too, but it should be fine with a bit of communication. :)

Will do.

We will report on how charging goes. I think with a combination of beg, borrow, steal and possibly even pay (!) if necessary we should be reasonably well covered for any stretch of 200 km or less.

How else do you propose going over axle deep water without submerging the thun?
I assume you're going to either pack the BB with marine grease then grommet? Or just seal the wire exit with hot glue?

I propose sliding rails for the panniers so you can shift them all to the back in wheelie mode, then shift them back after the epic manoeuvre. 8)

Btw you don't look too happy in the first photo... :wink:

voicecoils said:
You must be thinking of Hyena's belief that all problems and obstacles can be overcome with wheelies.
haha it's true, when it doubt, power out :p
With plenty of power on board gun it into the water, creating a big bow wave and it's dry bottom brackets for all :mrgreen:
I've actually been wanting to do a video crossing that part of the river next time we got some decent rain so congrats on beating me to it! Although it's a shame it didnt turn out. Axle deep is a fair effort! Were you pedalling hard and pinning the throttle the whole time? I've seen many a vid of moto riders getting taken out at river crossings when their bikes stall. Atleast there you know the road is smooth and straight, so you just have to stay upright and not let current get you

Maurice road in front pretty much the whole time, except crossing the flooded weir. He was hoping to get a video of me being swept downstream
haha, was this technically a work R&D day ? I think glowworms workers comp insurance premium just went up :p

Hyena said:
voicecoils said:
haha it's true, when it doubt, power out :p
With plenty of power on board gun it into the water, creating a big bow wave and it's dry bottom brackets for all :mrgreen:
I've actually been wanting to do a video crossing that part of the river next time we got some decent rain so congrats on beating me to it! Although it's a shame it didnt turn out. Axle deep is a fair effort! Were you pedalling hard and pinning the throttle the whole time? I've seen many a vid of moto riders getting taken out at river crossings when their bikes stall. Atleast there you know the road is smooth and straight, so you just have to stay upright and not let current get you

Maurice road in front pretty much the whole time, except crossing the flooded weir. He was hoping to get a video of me being swept downstream
haha, was this technically a work R&D day ? I think glowworms workers comp insurance premium just went up :p

Let me know when you go Hyena.
I want to join in the fun as well :twisted:
Lately life has been pretty boring and depressing, got the urge to go out there and do some stupid shit.

Wow. Just found this, sounds like an epic trip. Good luck.

For our overseas colleagues, it might be worth pointing out that that this trip is broadly equivalent to riding across the continental USA. However, our population is only 21m people, and about 8m of them live in either Sydney or Melbourne... So that means that there's pretty much nothing between Perth and Sydney (and before you South Aussies whinge, I come from Adelaide, so I stand by that comment.)

As if for proof, the land area between Perth and Adelaide is dominated by the Nullabor plain. Contrary to popular belief, this is not an aboriginal name, but is Latin: Nullus = No, Abor = tree. Literally, "no trees".

With due respect to Justin, and perhaps showing my ignorance of Canadian geography, this trip is likely to be considerably more difficult and definitely less 'scenic'.

Liked the test ride too; remember the golden rule : there is no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing!

No that's not true its a lushes oasis with towns every 5km. :wink:

The_true_Nullarbor_(Null=no,_arbor=trees).jpg

Part_of_the_longest_straight_rail_line_in_the_world_-_478km..jpg

Kurt

I know it's not a competition, but it does have one advantage over a trans-Canadian trip. The Australian one (or the western Australian bit at least) is comparatively as flat as a pancake.

And I have been thinking further about this epic trip. Traversing Canada seems like fun (potentially).

But the whole of Australia?!?! Are you guys frokken nuts?

Did someone put you up to this madness?

Yes it's a bit of a long ride 8) but also an adventure!

We have camping gear and battery range for about 200 km. I've got some audio books cued up in case we come across any straight sections on the Nullarbor :lol:

We've covered just under 500 km over the last 3 days since starting off from Perth. I've started a ride diary here:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=52355&p=776743#p776743

Back