Perth to Sydney by ebike 2013 - ride diary

Thanks Hyena, for they advice

Our latest electric bike epic!
Glowwormbicycles.com.au/perth-to-sydney
Our electric bicycles got a bit of attention at Tarcutta. Voting day today so a few people around. No soap boxes in sight

tumblr_msqdf9nL3a1sxa2p9o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_msqdf9nL3a1sxa2p9o2_1280.jpg

tumblr_msoy0kjCCX1sxa2p9o2_1280.jpg

Chings longest holiday in his life and he looks relaxed

We visited Jake at Pushys Bike Warehouse Albury. We supply electric bicycles to Pushys in Canberra already. If you’re in the area, watch out for Pushys new shop opening next to the train station next year and you’ll hopefully see our range of electric bicycles within! You may even see a sneak peak of some at their car park sale in two weeks

That's great news for Albury. I lived there for five years and an ebike would have been perfect.

A lack of quality vendors up there. It'll fill a local need perfectly.

It never takes Ching long to find the BBQ

tumblr_msqtwmvBDp1sxa2p9o2_1280.jpg

Good stubbie holders guys

tumblr_msqtwmvBDp1sxa2p9o1_1280.jpg

Tarcutta to Tumut. Great electric bicycle country! Views, hills, hills, hills…

tumblr_msqj8c9pSV1sxa2p9o1_500.jpg

tumblr_msqj8c9pSV1sxa2p9o2_1280.jpg

tumblr_msqj8c9pSV1sxa2p9o4_1280.jpg

Kepler said:
Oh thats right, you guys catch the train everywhere now. :p

haha. The blog shows they've got an event on in Canberra yesterday and today. Not long to go guys, time to start heading north tomorrow I'm guessing.
I sent voicecoils a text this morning but they're probably busy.

Do you have plans yet as to the final leg ? The coast road up from wollongong is nice and scenic, or will you just follow the highway straight up from Canberra ?
That's kinda boring and alot of high speed traffic whizzing by so I'd probably want to avoid a few days of that if it was me.

If doing the coast road riding up to stanwell tops and then down through Lady Carrington drive would be my recommendation. It's a fire trail, closed to cars so peds and bikes only but is fairly smooth. It's also 10km shorter and less hilly than the main road through national park.
Lunch in wollongong or maybe Thirroul ? Scarborough pub is also a nice spot depending on what sort of time you're making. We can swing by the top secret abandoned tram shed I found in the bush too if you're interested (given how fond you guys are of trains :p ) The offer is still there to stop in at my place too for a quick recharge and drink before the final stretch. Gloworm HQ is 1-1.5hrs ride from my place.

Not to mention the Motoring Enthusiasts Party, the Sports Party and Clive Palmer's PUP in the senate...not sure what that means for e-bikes but if in doubt, ban them :)

They all need to have a good look at this transcontinental effort & learn something. As if.

full-throttle said:
Kepler said:
No updates since Saturday??? What the hell is going on!!
Abbott is in power since Sat.
All e-bikes are banned.
Nah Abbott loves ebikes, here's proof
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=13395&start=450#p795226 :p

To those who were looking at joining me on friday to meet up with the gloworm crew, it seems that won't be going ahead now.
I got a message from voicecoils this morning saying they were ahead of schedule and were looking to push through to Sydney today if possible.
Damn, what am I going to do with all this extra lipo I bought to do the final leg of the trip with them :p

Hyena said:
full-throttle said:
Kepler said:
No updates since Saturday??? What the hell is going on!!
Abbott is in power since Sat.
All e-bikes are banned.
Nah Abbott loves ebikes, here's proof
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=13395&start=450#p795226 :p

Well he doesn't like boats. Or gays. Or Gays on Boats... :lol:
BR2uRkfCIAACY4U.jpg

I didn't put this on here before cos i thought it may have been off topic.

seeing as we all use the net and most ppl on this thread are ozys

This petition is designed to highlight Australia’s desire for a superior ‘Fibre to the Home’ (FTTH) broadband solution, rather than the Coalition’s proposed ‘Fibre to the Node’ (FTTN) solution.

http://www.change.org/petitions/the-liberal-party-of-australia-reconsider-your-plan-for-a-fttn-nbn-in-favour-of-a-superior-ftth-nbn?share_id=sAlgNeCeFM&utm_campaign=autopublish&utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=share_petition

200 000 signaters in 5 days

Turnbull tweeted "didn't we just have an election?"

please sign it.

full-throttle said:
If you look closely you can see Hyena in that photo
haha you arse clown. Yeah that's me in the gray pants and shirt. I thought I was getting on a boat full of policemen and then they all tore off their clothes! I was just about to jump when this photo was taken :mrgreen:

pendragon8000 said:
I didn't put this on here before cos i thought it may have been off topic.
Yeah looks like this thread is officially derailled! haha
It would probably be better posted over the aussie role call thread in any case.

Now, if I may bring this back on topic, the epic journey is over.
I got a text from voicecoils yesterday afternoon and managed to get home from work just in time to catch up with the guys as they passed through my neck of the woods. Unfortunately I couldn't go far with them because I'd ridden to and from work and didnt have many electrons to spare. Plus I had no chain on my fighter (still testing the batshit(tm) motor) so would have been really in strife if I ran out of juice!

Here's the final pics

tumblr_msyazv6W671sxa2p9o1_1280.jpg

Yes, that's a train station in the background but I'll have to take their word for it that they arrived there on 2 wheels... :p

tumblr_msychy2ZlK1sxa2p9o1_1280.jpg

Update us with your final stats when you get time voice coils.
Total distance and AH used (and thus whr/km)

Fixed :)

Well done guys! Bet you're having a hot long shower and a good lie down.

Back