Please help me electrify my trike...

Hi all! Just thought I'd post an update over 200 miles of e-power later. :) Been averaging between 18-32 watt/hrs per mile with anything from heavy to no pedaling.

Things are going good with it - just fighting the occasional thing that comes loose. Also fighting with my chainline, as earlier this week a chain tube slipped forward and allowed the chain to saw through half my balance wires! I've mounted it more properly now, but I'm watching it closely!

Debating reconfiguring things to run @ 18S. Would screw up my 48V-->12V converter system though. Really just want better off the line torque, and maybe a few mph's worth of speed increase. (Currently tops out around 32mph with no pedaling on flat ground, 20mph up a decent grade, pulling about 1600watts, if I could hit 35mph no pedaling, keeping up with traffic would be no issue at all). Another bummer is instead of a one plug charge solution, suddenly I'd be splitting it into 3 6S subpacks. One more turnigy pack (to total 9) and I could do a 3x3 combo for 18S 15AH.

Talking with my brother about modding my 12Fet Infineon controller to handle the 72V system. He's worried about the surface mount resistor for the regen mod, but wants to see the innards of my controller first. It's either that or I order a 72 (or higher one) from Lyen.

24S sounds fantastic, but to do it properly I'd want a second 1420I and meanwell/one plug charge kit. I have room for 4 more 6S packs if I want though, would just need to relocate the circuit breaker and the 12V dc-dc converter.

I have my lights hooked up for the time being though. Mounted a radioshack project box on the horizontal part of my right handlebar. It has two switches for front/rear lights, and houses a 12V fuse panel for other accessories in the future.

without suspension I think you are properly powered. At 35 mph plus, any imperfection to the road will bounce you around. From my experience cruising in the mid 20's with that frame should be your number. It will go faster, no doubt, but .....

@tycreek: Our bike lanes? Your not the guy that passed me doing over 32mph the other morning are you? Your blue giant looks like one that parks outside building #3 at my work. Handling is fine so long as I'm prepared for what's coming (lean with the turns, don't want to lift a wheel now). All I know is that's the first time I've been passed by a cyclist on this thing. :)

@ebent: Yeah I get bounced around pretty bad in this thing. :) Worth it though. Would like some better off the line acceleration still, but money is tight and 12S @ 20AH is meeting my needs fairly well right now. If anything I'll bump it up to a higher AH rating - by the time I finish my daily 20 miles it's sitting around 44.6V, which I know is still fine, but I worry if I have to go anywhere else with it that I might over discharge my battery pack. (Well, the CA would cut it off, think I set it at 42V or something like that).

Although it's down right peppy running at 50.0V, makes me wonder what more voltage would do for me. :D Fastest I've hit on the trike is about 34mph with pedaling.

Even got feature in Greenbelt Magazine in an article about local bike riders and their unique rides. :D

http://content.yudu.com/Library/A1sumi/GreenbeltMagazineJul/resources/index.htm?referrerUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.yudu.com%2Fitem%2Fdetails%2F358822%2FGreenbelt-Magazine-July-August-2011

(I'm on page 17).

Nice article in Greenbelt! I like the idea of having more ah. Most of my rides are 10 miles more or less. However I do from time to time take 30 to 40 mile rides. So accomadate for the longest ride.

Stay focused especially doing 30 plus mph.

Enjoy your new build.

corkscrew said:
Our bike lanes? ... doing over 32mph the other morning ...
I wondered if you'd get that ... but pretty sure I was only doing 20mph or so... :shock: :wink:
My 30A CA limit cut in as I pulled off from beside you ... so that was my limited top speed.

Weird - I was running WOT, which on my CA is usually about 32mph if I'm not pedaling hard. I suppose it could be set wrong, but I did measure my rear wheel when I entered the values...

30A limit eh? It's not unusual for my max to be 44ish when I'm pushing full speed towards work or home. Well, no matter how fast you were going, your the first person on a bike to pass me since I electrified the trike.

I'm sure your CA is close enough :) I seldom even look at mine now.
The 30A setting in the CA is about 1500W vs. 2500W without. Around 1000W is what I watch for on the CA and is so much easier to sustain with the limiter active. Makes for more enjoyable ride and helps keep my stupidity somewhat in check. All good for the parts and people involved!

... there will always be, faster or slower ... safer or more reckless ... lucky and unlucky...

Your trike is super nice ... hope to see you roll'n down the road for a long time.

Back