• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

POLL: Causes of Ebike Crashes and Consequences?

Was riding 8km/hr on pea gravel and my rear wheel slipped sideways and fell 15" down, protected from large seat and bars, zero injury because recumbent bike falls are uneventfull. they are Close to ground in the first place.

Three epic bike crashes that were my fault, however I think the one below is most germane to the topic…

Ebike last summer.
4a Off-road approaching the family campsite; it’s a horrible road and I am plunking along with my heavily laden ebike at 3-5 mph avoiding the cobbles and divots. With only about one mile to go, suddenly three assholes on a tear with off-road bikes come flying up right on my arse not slowing one iota or moving out of the way.
4b The first one just nearly hit me on the left side; I cut hard to the right to get out of the path – however the ebike is front-wheel-drive and begins to pogo me off the wretched road and over the side of the steep cobbly embankment.
4c The ebike lays over with me underneath; nearly 300 lbs of gear, and my elbow takes the brunt of it in the form of road rash. Also injured: My pride. Aside from literally leaving me in the choking dust, the frockers never slowed down. It’s a good thing I wasn’t armed. :evil:

Grrrr, KF

1a.) Leaning to far on one side during a turn on gravel.
1b.) Bike fell, I just let it fall
1c.) Bike was fine, I was fine.

2a.) Cut off by a Van turning right without the (young) driver looking for a bicycle coming in the bike lane.
2b.) Bike got slightly caught in the undercarriage.
2c.) Left side pedal crank got bent.

Back