• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

problem with keywin controller still

winchmeup

1 W
I hope someone out there can help me.
I have had one of keywins controllers for about 12months and still cannot get it to program (admittingly i get the sh1ts and forgetabout it for a while)
i ahve sent it back to keywin and he advised me that he sent the wrong usb cable. I have now got it back. Have spent several hours getting keywins help via msn. But still no luck. Its hard for me to be online when keywin is able to help and last night we ran out of time.

Anyway

I have entered details into the progammer and followed the info on this site. when i push start transmit, it says transmitting but times out.

Any thoughts or help would be apreciated

Since reading your post the only thing i can think of , and you had not mentioned. When you start to transmit on the computer are you pushing the little

button on the program cable? My usb cable has one that is close to the controller connection that must be push and held for about 3 sec. to let the program

thru.

Thanks richirich
I have been pushing the button but just a quick click. I wont be able to get to it for a few days but i will give it a go.

Just to clarify. Do you click the start transmit button, then hold switch and release after 3 seconds?

steve

Yes, click the start transmit on the computer then hold the button on the cable till you see the bars flash on the transmit gauge. it could take up to 5 sec. or so.

Make sure you have the correct com port set too. They can be finicky. Sometimes you have to pull the USB out and plug it back in. I've gotten to where I get the program ready, connect to controller, plug USB cable to computer, click start, press and hold little button, see bar slider fill, click stop, let go of little button.

Have fun with it.

John

Also in the latest version of windows if you watch the 'control panel-hardware and sound-devices and printers'

Near the bottom it shows Unspecified and usb devices. Watch when you plug in the usb cable to see what com port it comes up on
and select that in the SW.

that helped me last time I was programming a controller and had issues.

Also:

Controller must be powered off and caps discharged..OK not always necesary but often this helps..don't ask me why it just does.

If you have a 3 speed switch...but it to the mid speed setting..well to be more precise, the switch position where no contact is being made by the switch..so neither pad X1 or X2 are grounded

Try hitting the start tansmit button BEFORE plugging the controler in to the cable. You need the USB end plugged in, but leave the other end disconnected.
Once plugged in, then click the button on the cable.

I have found that some days it takes 3 or 4 times to get it to work, other times it just sned perfectly

Having the same problems here on two controllers. The first I isntalled is failing to even work at all because I think its LVC is set above my 48v system.. This is getting annoyng. I tried both Pdesign and the xpd, installed all the programs Keep getting this message. run-time 8020

Tried to get it running on XP.

Its broken in many cases. Having fun yet?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/841700

Code:
Note This problem occurs "only" if the following conditions are true:

You have connected to a terminal server by using Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) 5.2 for port redirection.
    The terminal server is running Microsoft Windows Server 2003

WTF? Remote desktop protocol? I didnt sign onto this. The Golden Motor software requires none of this crap to flash firmware.

This software is starting to look borderline trogan IMO,. So it can flash a basic MCU what elese does it do?

Ive been flashing firmware on much, much more complicated devices for years now, and it can be done from a floppy disk in DOS, Thinx I may have to submit this "GPS" driver and sofrtware to a security company.

Hi Leslie,
I think your problem is way different to the OP...from what we can gather the OP has got the instal done, but it is not programming. He still needs to confirm that though, with what he sees in Device manager and what Com port is selected.

From this quote

317537 said:
The first I isntalled is failing to even work at all because I think its LVC is set above my 48v system.. .

Wether it installs or not has no bearing on the LVC settings you are going to flash to the controller. If it has not isnatlled yet, how are you even seeing the GUI to change LVC.

I would use your favourite system cleaning software/ manual clean/ of system/ revert to clean system backup, or even fresh Clean Win Xp instal on new partition ...or a clean XP instal on a VM machine. I have had all the flashing apps installed on my mac on VMwae XP machines at one time or another and all worked OK. Coudl well be a system conflict somehwere where you are trying to install.

For XPD, have you run the pre requisites instal first, that does the Python setup?

I have the device in the device manager com port 3, I have installed com port driver, I have tried the python interperters and libraries and XPD 0.2.1 and 0.2.2, I have software seeing the device as if I pick a wrong port it tells me no device message. I have bars flashing sometimes waiting communicating to the device but i dont get error messages.. I press buttons and hold for a minute still flashing bars waiting waiting. I just got an invalid repy byte fi, and I had fe and ect.

Now byte 81 and 05 too. Keywin controller and similar enough to be in here.

Umm yes, i remember similar issues and error codes when I tried to program a non programable Xlyte controller. The program header was on the board, but no matter how I conected it up it would never program. Kenny frm Xlyte finally told me that some of the MCU's (often paint marked with red spot) were single flash at factory ROM's not EEPROM's.

There is also some boards that need a jumper wire between two of the pins on the programming cable..jumper removed before controller runs.

Sorry i can not tell you more than that about which wires need jumpering, but it is on the forum ...somewhere

And I ordered a 72v 45a controlller and requested it have similar 36v to n72v compatability . Why not assume LVC is set higher than 60v?

Ive emailed keywin and awaiting reply.

I will be doing a paypal disipute before I re-run setup, and taking my cash else where, I have a lot more going on here than just a flashing program and its not worth it for me.

I think as security update may have broken this as why should I have to revert to a backup. I do have 9 liecensed windows operating, no pirate copies. Systems online in my home with updates enabled. Every one has different configs and to say mine works why doesnt yours is not helping much..

NeilP said:
Umm yes, i remember similar issues and error codes when I tried to program a non programable Xlyte controller. The program header was on the board, but no matter how I conected it up it would never program. Kenny frm Xlyte finally told me that some of the MCU's (often paint marked with red spot) were single flash at factory ROM's not EEPROM's.

There is also some boards that need a jumper wire between two of the pins on the programming cable..jumper removed before controller runs.

Sorry i can not tell you more than that about which wires need jumpering, but it is on the forum ...somewhere

Yep Yup I saw this jumper thread Ill take a look. Ill looksy.

what is the board? an EB2 EB3 or something different again?
not sure if this is of help, or even what board it is on

IMG_0143.JPG

Ah..well as far as I know XPD has not been hacked to work with EB3xx boards.
You will need one of the new bits of software from Ed Lyen or who ever you got the controller from..the old software won't work with the new EB3xx boards

And IO have a parameter designer with EB312 in the drop down.

I cant find the jumper thread but I tested the volatage I am getting 5v to the controller VCC aswell. Admittedly I only found the newer boards software about 60 minutes ago, so I had been using the older one..

See I just took it appart then. Im still getting the run-time error 8020 with the newer software. Im going to try the recent software in xp.

Regardless of whether I manage to get this going or not this is still very unprofessional work here and terrible service that I even have to go to this trouble in the first place. Looking for needles in the hay stack in ES is the pits to be honest.

317537 said:
l very unprofessional work here and terrible service that I even have to go to this trouble in the first place. Looking for needles in the hay stack in ES is the pits to be honest.
Who did you buy the controller from? Can't be Ed Lyen or Paul (cellman) they both tend to be very quick and professional in their speed of response.
But you do have to remember that many of these sellers this is not a professional service they are offering, this is a hobby and we all help each other as we can. Many of these suppliers are offering these controllers to us because they can and they help as much as they can.

the poor function of the search on here is a well known problem...use Google Advanced search page to search the ES site, you will get much better results

I got it. Not just the progran to flash but the controller finally responded and works with the throttle, which is such a relief to know now I can proceed with my build.

First: I had to download http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/download/file.php?id=78075 , couldnt get it to work in Win7 and I dont have my wlan adapter driver in winxp istalled on my multiboot partition so this was an obstical, Lucky I still have this os still on my machine.

Second: I had set my LVC to 47v and fill in the data and save the ASV file as its annoying to keep refilling in the blanks on every fail.

Third: I to follow your instructions to the tee, press transmit first, then connect the plug to the controller then an additional step, "quickly" press the cable button after connect, if I waited too long it just sits their doing the waiting. While juggleing and standing on one foot on one toe whistling dixie.

It only too a few hundred miliseconds to flash. From there everything worked.

Yes I did all my ES searches on google too, it is more succesfull.

What stood out

1: winxp didnt give run-time "8020" error messages like win7. One issue was my extention USB hub couldnt provide enough power and the device kept dropping out, so I had to pull my wirless usb devices out and find a spare slot in the back for my keyboard and mouse and run the programming lead on the extention by itself on one port. Even after all theses changes I still get the run-time "8020" messages with windows 7. Ill keep looking for a cure for this as a lot of people do not have multi boot machines and end up with a usless controller.

2:XPD doesnt work with the eb3 boards granted, but byte error fe, 05, 08 etc, is due to the incompatability with the newer boards. We keep that in mind for future sake.

Thank you for your time my friend.

I just spent a week rebuilding my ride, I got some nicks and burns, 3 kids running around screaming at my feet, a 4 day migrane back aches cancer eating at me slowly, and this one almost had me finished.

I knew it was LVC. Even though It had the same smell about it as a DOA controller.

I still think there is suspicious stuff going on with the whole programming thing, at least in one part of the software installed, a lot of GPS and mobile phone stuff has imbeded crap in it for one reason or other, be it tracking, or monitoring. Security updates often break these things and they stand out from other apllications.

Hobby or not, this ebike is my main transport and life blood of my family. I just spent $230 and if I didnt have winxp on my other drive or machines, id be a pretty unhappy camper with two controllers not working. Who spends over $200 on something that doesnt work? Plus all the fiddling around with wires. you run risk damaging other equipment when something doesnt work even with considerable attepts to make it work..

Nothing to do with cell man, or Lyel. I just notice "some" of the providers support is getting a little long in the tooth and need to get back into doing some of the support instead of relying upon communities.

Keywin could of gave me some pre-advice on what to expect, like the board model and a link to the software that works.

Otherwize Keywins products have been good for me and the many from GM cutomers already at their ends with fried controllers, I dont want to cause people more headaches. He gets this business through me, as I see his service as a means to an end of headaches. So far all the people have been happy who I have recommneded his way, but something like the issues I ran into, would make me shy away from advising other to shop with him. Eg do they have XP? will he program LVC so the contoller atleast works oput of the box? Will he do his silent trip when they need him?

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=37136

This was the last member I sent to Keywin and it all went well, and he now recommends to others now.. If you follow his woes with GM controllers you would understand my resolve on this. I do not just speak for myself, and fully understand the help other culture in Ebikes.

Gots my problem sorted and am 20lbs wiser now, maybe what I have been through here can help the OP too..

ok we hav some progress but still not working.

I have changed to com 2
I push start transmit (no controller just usb)
Untill i connect controller i get repeated messages of "Failure" in red
plug in controller and message stops.
Push button Abrief flash of bars in window then and i get "??" in blue. Release button and nothing.

Another thought
How do i know what board type? if have a picture Keywin sent which says use EB212. This may be wrong as the new progame he has sent has different fields than his picture.

If you get ?? then it worked!! Hurray

I think ?? is a bad bit of character transposition from the original Chinese software

Leslie, sorry I forgot to mention the brief push of the button on the programming cable. I just took it as read that that was the way to do it. I never thought anyone was holding the button

Who is this keywin chap. I always assumed he was an long since gone member, and no longer selling stuff. Does he have a sales site?

On iPhone now, so searching is a pain

Can't advise on Win7, I mainly use Mac now, and a few FreeBSD servers

winchmeup said:
ok we hav some progress but still not working.

I have changed to com 2
I push start transmit (no controller just usb)
Untill i connect controller i get repeated messages of "Failure" in red
plug in controller and message stops.
Push button Abrief flash of bars in window then and i get "??" in blue. Release button and nothing.

Another thought
How do i know what board type? if have a picture Keywin sent which says use EB212. This may be wrong as the new progame he has sent has different fields than his picture.

You find the board type by opening the controller.

Taking the controller appart.

Be sure to use the right sized philps head screw driver, that has good fit into the screws.

IMPORTANT> Disconnect all power to the controller before you proceed, You need only to remove the screws from the wire side plate, and the screws along the front that hold the fet sink onto the chasis. Push hard down with the screw driver and insure the screw driver doesnt slip during the process when you work.

My model number is on the bottom left corner of the board : fets facing forward under near the big capacitors..

When you put the board together you might want add some extra thermal paste on the fet sink. Otherwize take care not to remove it with your hands.. When putting the controller back together, slide the board in, there is a grove on one side inside the chasis that the board slots into. It should slide in with ease. Check that nothing is touching the bottom of the chasis. First line up the fet sinks holes with the chasis and put the first screw in and the last to be sure its all lined up. Then the rest of the screw, and tighten them hard.

Then finsh by installing the wire plate after the fet sink has been screwed to the controller chasis.

Keywin has posted some files to play with. I added a register bat file from Bobs hack Lyen's version which should help and some instructions.

Good luck!

Attachments

• EBXXX files.zip
    6.1 MB · Views: 72
Back