Puma Motor in a 26 Inch Wheel at 37V

i had to go for 2 x 6mm torque arms in the end to stop one of my puma's from spinning, and eventually it rounded the flat even then (though it had been weakened before in several attempts to hold it still). Finally I welded a bar on the end and clamped it to the stays so I could finish testing it at 82v and 50A. The thermal cutout did trip, after just 7 mins of hard thrashing :twisted: , but the wheelspins and doughnuts on the KMX were very much appreciated by my local following of curious kids.
The motor survived the test, and all gears seem fine. The poor motor has been put out to pasture on the cargo trike, and a fresh one stuck in the kmx to be treated with much more respect. I'm using just one 6mm torque arm on this one, but have spot welded the end just to make sure it doesn't spin and round off the axle.
They are fantastic hubmotors for sure, and i'll be buying a few more of these to spread around my little corner of the world :wink:
Did I understand right Knoxie, are the new controller available right now?

Jozzer said:
Finally I welded a bar on the end and clamped it to the stays so I could finish testing it at 82v and 50A.

Now you got my X5-centric attention! :D

If I can run a Puma without overheating at 2500 watts continuous, with 1-minute bursts of 4000 watts every 10 minutes, then I'd be darn tempted to make the switch.

Doable? I recall Knoxie writing that power in excess of 72v 25a was mostly wasted as heat....

and don't tell me I don't need that much power -- I've got hills with unpaved trails in mind that say otherwise. :D

I'm running at 2500w (before losses) now, but I do have to take it easy. I dont think you could run at 2500w and THEN run higher, the motor would already be hot.
Theres no way that this motor can compete with the x5 as far as thermal capabilities goes, mainly cos the x5 weighs like 4 times as much!
It would be interesting to try it against a full blown X5, the gearing and light weight will make it a contender at lower power I think, again due to weight and gears.
Does anyone with a puma live near enough to justin to get one tested in his dyno? It would be nice to compare with his simulator...

Xyster, have you considered 2 puma's, 1 in each wheel? It would still wiegh less than the x5, but i'm pretty sure it would be faster :twisted:

Jozzer said:
Xyster, have you considered 2 puma's, 1 in each wheel? It would still wiegh less than the x5, but i'm pretty sure it would be faster :twisted:

I have! Dual Puma's, or a single X5, running at ~5000 total watts is the motor part of my dream-plan for my future dirt bike. :)

xyster said:
Jozzer said:

I have! Dual Puma's, or a single X5, running at ~5000 total watts is the motor part of my dream-plan for my future dirt bike. :)

ooohhhh!!!! now THAT is awesome :) could you wire one throttle up to two controllers? (actually that would be a yes)

:shock: That would be an awsome set-up for a trike.
2 Puma's, one on each rear wheel (the heavy duty trkes, like EZ, or Hase, from Germany) lots of battery storage space available, it would be like a 4X4 with the safety of two motors. 8) 8) 8)
Now you guys got me thinkin big and practcal also, for shopping trips I mean.

Wheels on the back? No thanks :lol:
Only reason I havn't tried it on the KMX yet is I don't know how to mount a hubmotor in a stubaxle! (ooooh, 2 throttles for "assisted steering")

Jozzer said:
Wheels on the back? No thanks :lol:
Only reason I havn't tried it on the KMX yet is I don't know how to mount a hubmotor in a stubaxle! (ooooh, 2 throttles for "assisted steering")

Oh, oh, :? Whats wrong with them, Too oldtimer design?
Otherwise, Where would one place all the batteries on those small "tadpole" trikes, yet still be able to haul stuff like books or food? :?

edit: forgot about the stub axle, I guess it's single wheel only :oops:

Looked all over the thread for the video for a 26 inch mountain bike with this motor and finally
Found one here

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=5147649837318141523

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2712 :wink:

Back