Puncture Already?! Looking at Tyre options. Advice?

I had numerous rear flats when I first bolted my kit together and started riding. I eventually settled on Maxxis Holy Rollers, Mr Tuffy tire liners and SunLite thorn resistant tubes. Haven't had a flat since. 1600 miles and going strong.

Wolfeman said:
I had numerous rear flats when I first bolted my kit together and started riding. I eventually settled on Maxxis Holy Rollers, Mr Tuffy tire liners and SunLite thorn resistant tubes. Haven't had a flat since. 1600 miles and going strong.

I think your preventives get the credit, because Holy Rollers are some of the thinnest, least protected tires around. Between the knobs, there's just about nothing to stand in the way of a puncture.

Chalo said:
Wolfeman said:

I think your preventives get the credit, because Holy Rollers are some of the thinnest, least protected tires around. Between the knobs, there's just about nothing to stand in the way of a puncture.

I completely agree Chalo, but for my riding area and style, the knobbies on the Holy Rollers are ideal.

They also have superb ride quality because of the thin casing and large volume.

For Orange County, CA, which has relatively "clean" streets so not much of a problem except goatheads, Marathon+ on the street and thick tubes offroad seem to be adequate. My wife rode her MTB two - three times a week (plus vacations etc) for 10 years without a flat until the valve pulled out on a tube. The 26" tubes weighed about 500 grams, almost as much as some tires.

I dunno what tire I was riding today, but I was doing residential 90 degree corners at about 40kph and as I leaned into it I could feel the tire rolling so I would lay off the throttle.

With the weight my bikes at now, I may just swap over to motorcycle tires.

I will tell you this, with them cheap ebay spokes, I went through 8 tubes. Switched to Sapim double butted, and some Boiled Linseed Oil and that bitch is solid as a rock.

MXUS 3K with Crystalyte DH rim plus a moto tire.

Fought flats and tire issues for the first week,20-30mi or so... I ONLY ride pavement and road shoulders. But the cheap tire of the original bike wouldn't even hold the bead on the rim regardless of varied tire pressure. Too low, and slipin' tube 'n pinch flats or cut stem. Too high, and lose the bead seat and blow the tube out. Two tires, three tubes,... ENOUGH!!! The last tire and tube has been on for 18moths, nearly a 1000mi with no more trouble.

The Big Apple calls for 30-55psi,.... I run 53psi with a quality Schwalbb tube and premium spoke band. Max psi for max weight load,... and I'm close to max. Got nice solid grip, no roll or give, firm control with no worries of road trash, chipped pavement, cheap spokes or anything else but the sandspurs that are thrown from the tire to my socks and pant leg! I'll live with that.

Been A While since I asked about this But thought ide update on The situation as after the first flat.. A tube change.. there hasn't been an issue since
and I'm riding it every day almost.. On footpath's.. Curb Jumping at 50 Km/H ish and the odd Diversion through a Park etc. with little thought to the dangers like road side's and glass..
the Tyre I had from the get go is a cheap Chinese Brand - Chaoyang SWIFT "Rhino Skin" almost NO presence of this company online it seems.. but I am truly Impressed with the product and that first Puncture must have been an install error on my part or something? these Chaoyang's I got from my local bike shop I got them because the thickness is awesome it would take a lot to get through.. but so far did not need to go Solid tyres or even the Marathons etc..

markz said:
I dunno what tire I was riding today, but I was doing residential 90 degree corners at about 40kph and as I leaned into it I could feel the tire rolling so I would lay off the throttle.
I also notice this issue around 55 Km/H almost like the bike decides to start drifting but I always feel safe usually slow down to 30 ish for corners now.

Back