QSMOTOR,0.5-12kW Electric Hub Motor & Mid Drive Motor Manufacture China

Dirtech said:
BCTECH said:
Dirtech said:
I will wait for the motor to arrive before deciding on a freewheel. But it will definitely be single speed.

I am also using single speed, I think same as almost most people for this high power motor.
since you will be getting the latest version, I am not sure if you are getting the new cover version,, please update us after you receive it.
Something badass came in the mail today...

looks nice.
Did you successfully install the freewheel?
Can you let me know which freewheel you have ?

BCTECH said:
looks nice.
Looks like Vito is watching this thread because it came with the motor. 8)
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/16t-single-speed-flywheel-folding-bike-flywheel-phoenix-bicycle-flywheel/1098340129.html
I believe this is it, but not sure where to get them. Perhaps Vito could assist?

Dirtech said:
BCTECH said:
looks nice.
Looks like Vito is watching this thread because it came with the motor. 8)
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/16t-single-speed-flywheel-folding-bike-flywheel-phoenix-bicycle-flywheel/1098340129.html
I believe this is it, but not sure where to get them. Perhaps Vito could assist?

thank you for your info.
I will check with Vito again. I couldn't find anything locally.

here is a pm from vito re. freewheel and user guide:

Attached "QS Motor & Kits Manuals 2015.04.11.pdf" for reference.
Btw., is there any problem about thread for freewheel, we make it M35*1.
If any question, please feel free to contact with us.

Best Regards
ATTACHMENTS
QS Motor & Kits Manuals 2015.04.11.pdf
(492.76 KiB) Not downloaded yet
QS Motor-Vito Ho -Tel: +86 0576 88551619 -Email: vito@tzquanshun.com -Skype: vito-hom from vito re. freewheel

Attachments

• QS Motor %26 Kits Manuals 2015.04.11 (1).pdf
    492.8 KB · Views: 235
when i have the chance, i will weigh each stator and covers to compare. need to find some accurate scales

i will also upgrade the bearings to skf/nsk sealed bearings.

i did this last time and was surprised how cheap good bearings are, only around 13Aud /motor :shock:

i just took the old bearings in and they handed me the new Polish ones in a flash.

indeed i think the 3kw rating of this motor is very,very modest :lol:

@Ridethelightning thx for the details and comparison in your pics. Awesome.
I've been waiting for test data on the QS motor to compare it with cro and mxus 3000. I guess that is moot now ;)
The extra weight compared to mxus 3000 is put to good use in form of copper. Both windings and phase wires.
I just hope we can see some dyno from the QS, I would not be surprised to see qs be on the very top regarding performance. And probably the first motor that can take more current then what the max-e adaptto can deliver.

What you reckon peak power in short bursts for the QS? 12 kw? 15 kw or even 20+ kw?

macribs said:
I've been waiting for test data on the QS motor to compare it with cro and mxus 3000. I guess that is moot now ;)
The extra weight compared to mxus 3000 is put to good use in form of copper. Both windings and phase wires.
I just hope we can see some dyno from the QS, I would not be surprised to see qs be on the very top regarding performance. And probably the first motor that can take more current then what the max-e adaptto can deliver.

What you reckon peak power in short bursts for the QS? 12 kw? 15 kw or even 20+ kw?

well from what i have seen, people are getting 12+kw peaks with 5403, which seems to have around half the thikness of phase windings, i think less than a cro, so i would not be surprised if this thing can take 15-18kw peaks. it should all be very calculable, as the number of copper strands at 0.6mm dia x24 strands would mean that the square mm of copper there would determin when it starts to get hot in very short bursts... 1mm square copper=19A as nobuo posted recently...
as vito said, there should be around 8-10mm sqare in the phase wires, so 10mm would be 190A x90v=17,100 watts :D

anyone who can give a more accurate measurement than this, please speak up. im new to this and dont really understarnd the current flow in the 3 phase windings...

ridethelightning said:
macribs said:

well from what i have seen, people are getting 12+kw peaks with 5403, which seems to have around half the thikness of phase windings, i think less than a cro, so i would not be surprised if this thing can take 15-18kw peaks. it should all be very calculable, as the number of copper strands at 0.6mm dia x24 strands would mean that the square mm of copper there would determin when it starts to get hot in very short bursts... 1mm square copper=19A as nobuo posted recently...
as vito said, there should be around 8-10mm sqare in the phase wires, so 10mm would be 190A x90v=17,100 watts :D

anyone who can give a more accurate measurement than this, please speak up. im new to this and dont really understarnd the current flow in the 3 phase windings...

Here is the thread about C-lyte 5300 and 5400 serie electrical info i have posted:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=19301

5403: 8x3T
-kV: close to 9.. but estimated only
--number of strands: 8
--size of each strands: AWG 20 (0.032'")
--All strands = to one AWG 11 conductor
--inductance between two phase wire: 297uH
--DC resistance between two phase wire: 0.104ohm

Today i have measured the actual copper fill of a MXUS 3000 4T and i get 11AWG equivalent ( 16 x AWG 23)

This is the same copper fill as my 5403. Plus the MXUS 3000 4T and the 5403 have the same Kv of 9

The C-lyte 5400 and 5300 serie motors are using AWG 20 strands (bigger) and the MXUS are using AWG23 ( smaller)

That's why i think it is REALLY important that people should know that it is not ONLY the turn count that matter but also the SIZE OF THE STRANDS
In fact BOTH are important and what describe BOTH the best is the equivalent active cross sectionnal area of copper per turn witch is :

NUMBER OF STRANDS x SIZE OF THAT STRAND = total copper fill per turn

I have found a great website to calculate easy the equivalent AWG size:

Go to that page: ( Basic Car audio Electronic) BCAE1.com On right, select the WIRE section and then at about 7/8 down of of the page use the calculator:

http://www.bcae1.com/

If you need to know how many X gauge wires are equal to Y gauge Z wire(s),
press this
The answer is: .....

There is also the equivalent wire dia in inch to AWG at 3/4 down to the page.

Doc

Vito, What is the size of the strands of the 50mm MXUS v3?

Thanks

Doc

jansevr said:
can't wait to see some performance tests. the QS motor looks quite a bit better than the cro. the copper fill looks to be almost 2x that of the cro! do you or anyone else know exactly how much more copper there is? its hard to believe this is only the 3000w rated motor considering the cro v3 is 6000w rated. if the cro can do 10-15kw peaks or more, im guessing this qs motor will have no problem handling 20+kw peaks! now you just need to find a controller that can run that beast

i believe the main reason because we do not see a hubmotor with higher continuous power rating INTHIS SIZE is the poor heat emission. thats something which strongly needs to be improved. for instance painting the inside of motor with special color which has high heat emission and absorption. or make the surface of sidecovers larger with some kind of fan shaped cooling fins which twist air inside the motor..

if you keep phase amps low, use a very small wheel and high rpm than probabaly you can do 5000kw continuos with such motors (its also mentionend in the cromotor specifications). and keep in mind its NOT about battery power, its about phase amps and phase voltage.

about copper fill:
since the V3 type has different stator it also has differnt kV per turn count.
this means we need to compare motors with same kV / kT for.
for 9T motor this means:

QS V3: 24 strands
QS V2: 20 strands
Cromotor: 18 strands (seems to be even poorer than QS V2)
(Mxus: 16 strands)

cwah said:
What does the number of strands mean?

Well before Doc bass posted I used to think more strands = better. As higher number of strands would mean more copper. Then according to doc it is not only about the number of strands but also the thickness of each strand.

Doctorbass said:
That's why i think it is REALLY important that people should know that it is not ONLY the turn count that matter but also the SIZE OF THE STRANDS
In fact BOTH are important and what describe BOTH the best is the equivalent active cross sectionnal area of copper per turn witch is :

NUMBER OF STRANDS x SIZE OF THAT STRAND = total copper fill per turn

ridethelightning said:
so to sumerise the summery- its all about how much copper is stuffed into those cracks :lol:

Exactly!

And you guys need to know that the size of these atrans is also very important in the equation :wink:

Doc

its hard to believe no manufacture has considered cooling of some sort. any sealed hubmotor is greatly limited in its performance and efficiency. if QS designed and built a air cooled hub, or even redesigned just the sidecovers with vents or scoops of some sort to force air through the motor i think they would have the best hub motor on the market for us high powered hub motor fanatics =) i think 10kw continuous might be possible with sufficient air flow. another rarity in hub motors is 6 phase rather than 3 phase. for higher powered applications (20kw+ peaks) this seems to make the most sense in terms of efficiency and ease of finding suitable controllers as you can run 2 relatively cheap controllers (infineon based) to take 1/2 the load each.

jansevr said:
its hard to believe no manufacture has considered cooling of some sort. any sealed hubmotor is greatly limited in its performance and efficiency. if QS designed and built a air cooled hub, or even redesigned just the sidecovers with vents or scoops of some sort to force air through the motor i think they would have the best hub motor on the market for us high powered hub motor fanatics =) i think 10kw continuous might be possible with sufficient air flow. another rarity in hub motors is 6 phase rather than 3 phase. for higher powered applications (20kw+ peaks) this seems to make the most sense in terms of efficiency and ease of finding suitable controllers as you can run 2 relatively cheap controllers (infineon based) to take 1/2 the load each.

I agree. QS should lead the way here and become the first to sell a motor that is ready to abuse without the need for modifications once arrived at the buyer.

• A coat of true mat black paint inside the motor.
  • Even bigger/thicker phase wires.
  • Cooling fins to the outside cover - preferable combined with heat sinks and heat pipes.
  • Or go all in for factory embedded water cooling - QS already do LC on bigger motors so they have the know how and assembly line.

The most effective heat removal would be liquid cooling - and possible also the cheapest for the factory. Add a mat black finish on the inside and I am sure we could see amazing results in max output power.

But high power also means trouble finding a controller that will keep up - 6 phase or rather dual 3 phase is proven to work like a charm. John in CR has ridden those bad boys hubmonsters for years and members that have gotten the hubmonsters on do not feel like changing back. And the ability to swap the load on two controllers would mean even higher peak power possible without melting fets inside controllers.

A water cooled 6 phase QS v3 would be ordered asap if made available.

Doctorbass said:
Vito, What is the size of the strands of the 50mm MXUS v3?
Thanks
Doc

Vito: Sorry, I have no idea about MXUS motor. We are QSMotor.

Back