Quality versus cost?

I care most about quality. But quality to me has nothing to do with surface finish or shiny machined surfaces. Quality to me, means something that will last through the treatment I'm going to give it without breaking. Things that can hold up to hard racing/riding and not break on me are worth whatever I have to pay.

I care about cost only. I don't give a shite whether it works or what it looks like, as long as I paid next to nothing I'm happy :)

As the the frockies, I agree, they shouldn't be mentioned on this section of the forum full stop (whoops I just did :oops: ) We girly men have the remainder of the forum in which to peddle our depravity.

Simon.

I typed a typicly long reply....but really...its all about value & options.
if i am looking for something...& there is more than one option, its all about deciding/refining your expectaions & looking for your best value.....even if its the more expensive option....

sico said:
I care about cost only. I don't give a shite whether it works or what it looks like, as long as I paid next to nothing I'm happy :)

Simon.

ROTFL -Priceless simon! :mrgreen:

I am putting a mid drive together at the moment using a hub motor, i do have plans after this one to do an RC drive, top of my priorities will be reliability, it must be dependable and not break down or blow up, it must also out perform any other conversion and finally will come the cost, as long as it is affordable and the cost is justified then no problem.

Simon.

I would always what something as cheap as possible but want it to be function-able, The astro looks like a lovely motor , but worth $600, no its not. Personally I think people get caught up in the rc motor a bit to much and go for the biggest 6kw+ because they are cheap , then have problems getting there bikes running ( without a lot of mods to the motors or the controller ) whereas the smaller motors that I am using are not so much of a controller killer and are only $70, they are able to push 3-4kw which is more than respectable and so far ( nearlly 2 years of use )are being reliable, these can be driven from a lynen 12fet modded controller. So I think this is a very good cheep reliable setup ( less than $200 for motor and controller, cant be bad and much cheaper than a hub with this power) yes there are a few things that are also needed i.e halls and a reduction of some sort ( I wish someone will come up with a off the self hall setup for the smaller motors ), Its the reduction stage that frightens most people, but again this don't have to be very expensive, I have put together may different types of e-bikes now and the cost of a reliable jackshaft is less than $30 ( it may not look pretty but it works ) then its a matter of adding your choice of gearing i.e belt,gear or chain, A whole setup will come in under $300, it wont look very bling but it will work and work well. ... if we are talking about a reduction stage then the cheaper the better (but must have the bling factor)

I agree about the power comment for sure.

When I started in this, my goal was to push as much power as I could and make it survive. Now I am moving slightly in the other direction. I am looking toward lighter weight, a bit lower power, but much less costly. I am already in the ultra high-end. I do not need to add anything there. What I need to do is appeal to the more user friendly and easier to install market (high or low cost, as long as it can appeal to a larger market) at least for now.

I have been looking at other motors, not to replace Astros, but as a lower cost option to add to the Astros in my line. I have found a few (no I am not saying what they are right now). They are not the cheapo chinese crap, but they are not as costly as Astros either. I have found that 2.5kw peak, 1kw continuous can be had in a super high quality motor for $150 to $190 depending on the motor. But, there are a few issues there that I will not get into right now. I also get requests for the $1,100 Plettenberg Terminator to install in my drives. The Astro is a better motor (better performing) but does not look as cool. So, a few people with means look in that direction.

Basically, I look for quality in what I am paying. Here is one totally off topic example;

I am looking for a 400 to 500 psi compressor for my air cannons. Well, those compressors range from $800 to $1,700. I have some disposeable money, but not that much...... So, I began doing some research. What I finally came up with is a two stage compressor setup using a small shop compressor precharging a tank feeding into a refrigerator compressor as a second stage. This setup is very quiet, light weight, can reach way over the 500 psi I am looking for, and will cost me under $200 when I am finished and this is using a pressure tested, production tank that is safe.

I guess what I am driving at is, if you do some research and are able to build stuff, you can really save some serious coin. That is where Kim is coming from. He can build anything and is on a tight budget. Some people can't build anything and have a lot of cash. To each his own. I think the mainstream of the public are tight on money right now, however. I cannot make a drive that competes in cost with cheapo chinese hubbies. But, I can move in the direction that is more cost effective. Developing high-end performance makes the lower power stuff easier to build and leads to better innovation. That is the reason auto manufacturers have big racing budgets.

Matt

You get what you pay for up to a point. Some things cost heaps more with out giving you better or longer performance, you are just paying for a name. That being said, I usually go for the middle of the road. I want any product to last and at the bare minimum do what it is advertised to do. You shouldn't expect more, but if it does less it wasn't worth it at any cost.

So a lower cost drive than you currently offer, or a mid priced drive when you compare all the options out there is what I would be looking for. I know what ever you offer will work to the point you say it works.

There is no point offering something that doesn't work but only costs $100. You will end up with unhappy customers, returned merchandise and even your high end stuff will be labeled as junk.

If you could put together a package (motor, reduction, controller, throttle interface) for around $500 to $700 suitable for commuting I think it would be a hot seller. Not sure if that is possible though. Just my 2 cents.

Clay

I think that EVERYTHING should be made by sustainable manufacturing methods, using recycled or renewable materials, and designed to be 100% reliable forever. The days of disposable crap need to end! This means $$$ up front though but it always SAVES in the long run.

Would you rather spend $15,000....once..... on the best e-bike ever that never breaks, fits all of your needs and adapts to the newest technology or spend ten times as much over the same period of time buying the latest and greatest mass produced garbage every other year???

It's really time for a whole new mindset in the industrial world.

I thought this was to be a friendly forum. I'm really disappointed in the action and the name calling on here just for silly reasons. Life is to short to argue about stupid things. I'm sorry if i posted in wrong context

I don't know that it is exactly quality versus cost. There is a whole range of customers with a range of capabilities and wallet depth. In one product line I have (non ebike related) I have product ranging from about $100 to $400. The differences are not so much in quality but in how much work the buyer has to do (kit versus pre-assembled), the features and the completeness of the kit or set of parts, the finish - painted or bare, etc. I also have plans so the homebrew folks can make their own and maybe buy nothing or a few parts from me. So there is an entire spectrum available to the customer.

Having options to keep the cost down is worthwhile. Perhaps you don't want to carry a "cheap" motor, but offering compatible hardware for that might be the "low end". The middle might be a lower cost motor such as you are looking into. And the high end as you have done. A range of finish may make sense within the levels. If you choose several price points and then adjust for those and iterate you can make packages that make sense. Lower level packages cut corners that don't affect reliability but may affect appearance. Higher end may also mean lighter weight, more advanced materials and finishes, and quieter operation.

I want something that works first. If I want pretty as well then that may cost more.

Burtie said:
sico said:

Simon.

Thanks buddy, there's not a great deal of apprectiation for irony round here ... I think some people take themselves just a bit too seriously. :lol:

Alan B said:
In one product line I have (non ebike related) I have product ranging from about $100 to $400. The differences are not so much in quality but in how much work the buyer has to do (kit versus pre-assembled), the features and the completeness of the kit or set of parts, the finish - painted or bare, etc. I also have plans so the homebrew folks can make their own and maybe buy nothing or a few parts from me. So there is an entire spectrum available to the customer.
Non-ebike = non-hub, so you have posted that in the correct section of the forum, well done! :D

goriverman said:
I thought this was to be a friendly forum. I'm really disappointed in the action and the name calling on here just for silly reasons. Life is to short to argue about stupid things. I'm sorry if i posted in wrong context

If your offended by this stay out of the Biker Bar section of the forum :mrgreen: Take it all as 'tongue in cheek' posts, we iz all friends here united by the one cause, making better e-bikes, i mea'tn no offence just a lil of an instigator sometimes hahaa...soz if i offended you goriverman.

It's been interesting to hear the thoughts/ideas of members, Matt, whatever you do please never stop creating the 'masterpieces', its a job someone has to do and you do it so very well ;)

KiM

Back