Rack battery bag to fit Ping 48V 15AH

DervAtl

100 W
I bought a new battery recently, but am having a hard time finding a bag to house it. Although my battery is not a Ping, it is almost the same size as his 48v 15ah. I'd love a Topeak, but their DX is about 1/2 inch too short inside, plus the lid on it does not go to the edge, which makes putting something that barely fits in the bag impossible. Finding one long enough has been the problem. The bag needs to be a minimum of 13 inches long inside.

I have a very nice battery bag (Power to Go) that fits the length, but it was made for SLA's and the height is 2 inches too short. As popular as these duct tape batteries have become, I'm surprised no one is making bags aimed directly at that market.

Any recommendations are appreciated.

I'm thinking about buying this one. It's a box , not a bag.

15" x 9" x 8"
http://store.comcycle-usa.com/ProductInfo.aspx?id=4233917

El_Steak said:
Axiom Robson. The fit for a 48v 15ah battery is perfect. Its also pretty well padded inside and cheap.

Doctorbass found it first.

http://www.axiomgear.com/products/gear/bags/trunk/robson/

Yes, this is what I've been looking for! That's for the heads-up. :p

That axxiom looks perfect.

But do put something around the battery to protect it. I've used an aluminum cookie sheet folded into a box on one, and the lid from a plastic storage box folded the same way to make a box to protect my second ping. Coroplast, the plastic cardboard from politcal signs is another good easy to cut and bend material.

It's just too easy to damage pouch cells if the bike falls over and only the bag is there to protect it. On my first ping, I had the aluminum box inside a battery bag when I flipped the bike and broke both collarbones. The battery took it on one corner, but the cookie sheet kept the cells undamaged despite a big tear in the bag.

I've been able to find old vintage metal toolboxes that fit my batteries perfect, but sometimes still carry batteries in a bag or pannier. Having that extra layer of armor on the pack is very reassuring as I ride or leave the bike on a kickstand.

Additional protection is always good.

I thing however that the newer Ping packs are not shrink wrapped directly over the pouches.

Mine has protective plates made of PCB between the cells and blue shrink wrap. If I remember correctly, this was an enhancement requested by Doctorbass when he ordered 7 of the Ping 48 volts / 15 ah packs for his family/friend bikes. Ping probably kept doing it for future packs.

PCB is not steel and it will crumble if you drop a corner of the battery on the floor. Still, its better than having the pouches directly under the shrink wrap.

In my case, I added a pieces of medium density foam cut out of those kids 2' x 2' playground tiles. You can snuggly fit a piece of that material all around the battery and under it in the Axiom Robson bag.

batt-1.jpg

I had my Ping in an Arkel tailrider pack, which fits beautifully. Unfortunately, I destroyed the pack, when my padded BMS burned to a crisp (the charging FETs got too hot) and melted the foam padding. You need air circulation around the BMS. So this a somewhat of a problem for padded packs.

My "ping LiFePO4 48v15ah V2.5" (standard size from his website-300x105x150mm) fits perfectly in my Topeak MTX Trunk Bag DXP.

I was concerned that the BMS might get too hot inside my bag when it's fully charged. -- ping emailed me back and stated: "You just need to leave 20mm space around the BMS for heat sink. Actually, the heat is not caused by the LEDs, but the resistors close to those LEDs. The resistors just consume power to the cells that are already full and let the charger to charge the cells that haven't been full."

Once my battery pack was placed inside my padded bag with the taped BMS located on the side of my battery pack (as opposed to the top or bottom), I wedged a rectangular piece of one inch thick styrofoam 3/4 of the length of the bag. The other 1/4 is left for space so the BMS doesn't touch the inside padded wall and allow it to dissipate the heat while I leave it charging.

It's convenient that I can take (slide) my Topeak MTX Trunk Bag DXP off & on the rear bike rack when I want to, and the panniers are an added plus.

Hmm, I haven't peeked under the blue plastic on my new ping, but it did seem a bit bigger than my v1 pack by about 1/4 inch.

Definitely let a bms have some room. I carry mine on the side, and relocated the bms to the new "top". The boxes I make cover 5 sides, and leave the bms side open. When bag carrying, I leave a corner unzipped to catch a breeze. The old v1 bms, without the led's ran a lot hotter, but still don't smother any bms.

My ping v2 48v16ah battery fits in an ammo box with a thin layer of bubble wrap around it. This size: http://www.usmilitarysurplus.com/surpluscatalog/images/50calbox.jpg

Back