Recommended MTB frame for BBS02

dzh

10 mW
Hi,

I see majority of bottom brackets are 73(?) mm.

The recommended width is 68 mm as otherwise first few gears are unusable.

Has anyone compiled a list of have assembled enough bikes to recommend particular model?
Looking thru classifieds for good bike and then Googling for hours upon hours to find the data sheet - is a massive waste of time.
Do you have a good tactic how to find one quicker?

Looking for 29er (or bigger if they exist), obviously.

Thank you.

73mm does NOT mean you cant get all the gears.
I use a Cannondale Trail 6 29er with an 8 speed cassette and it works perfectly in ALL gears
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/cannondale/trail-6-29er-2014-mountain-bike-ec053947
Its done over 1600 miles so far.
14490019_zps3olv4fve.jpg

P1020455_zpsa4e25c25.jpg

P1020491_zps972ed689.jpg

It means you cannot use both lockrings. Yes, it will still work (as mine does too) but its not ideal.

further the milling required on a trek frame is skewed, i.e. requires more taken off the chainring side. Not ideal if your planning to use the largest rear chainring. Different isdue- but 68mm is still more ideal.

I would recomend santa cruz although pricey the slightley older models are 68mm bb try find a heckler good luck

I ride a Giant Talon 29er with 73mm BB. It has 8 speed cassette and all 8 work fine. I use the lowest gear as little as possible though because the chain angle is not real good. No problems at all at this point and it is a good match for the BBS02.

Minister said:
I ride a Giant Talon 29er with 73mm BB. It has 8 speed cassette and all 8 work fine. I use the lowest gear as little as possible though because the chain angle is not real good. No problems at all at this point and it is a good match for the BBS02.
How powerful is your motor?

dzh said:
Minister said:
I have the BBS02 750. And with the 73mm BB, you only use the one locknut. Been riding it for a couple months with no problems.

Don't know your location, but if US or Canada, consider Nashbar 29" aluminum frame for $100, but frequently at 20% off. I built my wife a 26" pedal bike about five years ago, and it's been great. The frame was relatively light and straight with the requisite 68 mm BB.

What you guys and girls think about Marin Bobcat 29er?

Can't find any info about bottom bracket, beside this PDF that states it uses different lock rings. Not sure what that means.

dzh said:
What you guys and girls think about Marin Bobcat 29er?

Can't find any info about bottom bracket, beside this PDF that states it uses different lock rings. Not sure what that means.

Just go to stores and measure it? As advised above, my 2014 Focus Black Forrest 29er is 68mm BB. I think the Bobcat is the updated 2015 version of my Marin Pioneer Trail 29er 2014 which is also 68mm bottom bracket if that helps.
Marin_Pioneer_Trail_29er_2014.jpg

Marin_Pioneer_Trail_29er_2014_68mmBB.jpg

That said, my next build specifically for a BBS02 will be around a Cube Reaction 29er 2014 (68mm BB).

Best bet is to take a measuring tape and go in a store to scope it out.

I am looking to buy from classifieds, which are organised as auction form here. Hence it's quite difficult to have a look at item before purchasing it.

Minister, Not having a BBSO2 myself ( considering one ) you say you only use one locknut, which side, drive side or non-drive side ?
Also
Hopefully you weighed it before installing it , if so what does it weigh with the crank arms ? or without ?

anyone else here weigh their BBSO2 750 watt motor , with or without crank arms ?

anyone weigh the crank arms by themselves ?

Anyone know the chainring BCD ? anyone use a better chainring ?

>

Minister said:
dzh said:
Minister said:
I have the BBS02 750. And with the 73mm BB, you only use the one locknut. Been riding it for a couple months with no problems.

Here's mine. 29+ rigid single speed. 750w (1500 peak) with 11.6ah battery. The BBS02 will fit 68 or 73.

ScooterMan101 said:
Minister, Not having a BBSO2 myself ( considering one ) you say you only use one locknut, which side, drive side or non-drive side ?
Also
Hopefully you weighed it before installing it , if so what does it weigh with the crank arms ? or without ?

anyone else here weigh their BBSO2 750 watt motor , with or without crank arms ?

anyone weigh the crank arms by themselves ?

Anyone know the chainring BCD ? anyone use a better chainring ?

Locknut goes on non drive side.

My bike (attached in another reply) weighed 30# out of box. Probably dropped a couple pounds by removing the heavy single speed crank and bb. With the BBS02 + 11.6ah battery it's 48# I think.

There are adapters for the BBS02 that allow the use of a standard chainrings, either 4 or 5 bolt. The 4 bolt adapter is 104BCD, the 5 bolt is 130BCD. These allow use of any aftermarket chainring including narrow wide chainrings which offer chain retention with a multi gear rear.

Back