Replacing 16 inch front Wheel with New Electric Wheel

Ger

1 µW
Hi

Sorry if this is already posted. I checked but cannot find similar. I want to replace a standard 16 Inch wheel with an electric wheel on a kick scooter. The problem is all searches for scooters turn up moped type scooter results mostly and wide tyres with cast rims. So I'm posting this is the bicycle section as this is the same problem that would exist for a bicycle. The scooter has 16 spokes rim. 100mm drop.

Can someone recommend a kit, that includes a laced wheel with hub, pneumatic tyre etc with the controllers, batteries and throttle etc. Distance is max 10K per day. Low load as it's flat urban mostly. I've looked at Bafang and other motors and controllers etc and building it etc but the problem I envisage is getting spokes lacing the wheel.

Thanks

Ger said:
Hi

Sorry if this is already posted. I checked but cannot find similar. I want to replace a standard 16 Inch wheel with an electric wheel on a kick scooter. The problem is all searches for scooters turn up moped type scooter results mostly and wide tyres with cast rims. So I'm posting this is the bicycle section as this is the same problem that would exist for a bicycle. The scooter has 16 spokes rim. 100mm drop.

Can someone recommend a kit, that includes a laced wheel with hub, pneumatic tyre etc with the controllers, batteries and throttle etc. Distance is max 10K per day. Low load as it's flat urban mostly. I've looked at Bafang and other motors and controllers etc and building it etc but the problem I envisage is getting spokes lacing the wheel.

Thanks

This kit isn't laced, its cast. But it is a 16inch bike front hub and its for 100mm dropouts.
http://www.leafbike.com/products/di...ctric-bike-kit-front-hub-motor-wheel-977.html

You can get spokes at least as small as 65mm from Grin Technologies. If you use a Hozan threader tool, you can cut and roll your own to whatever length you like.

To be honest, 16 inch wheels (by which I mean ISO 305mm rims, a little over 12" outer diameter) are of a size where it makes sense to use a cast wheel hub motor. I laced a 16 inch rim to an Aotema brushed hub motor once upon a time, which is why I know you can get 65mm spokes from Grin. Having done that, though, I can't offer a good reason to use a spoked wheel for 16" if a cast wheel is available.

Chalo said:
cast wheel hub motor

Leafbike has a cast wheel and you can buy replacement cast with magnets.
18" replacement is all I saw, but I bet they would sell you a spare one in any size that will fit your leafbike motor purchase.
https://www.leafbike.com/products/e-bike-hub-motor/brushless-motor-parts/18-inch-casted-hub-with-magnet-976.html

16" - https://www.leafbike.com/products/diy-bike-conversion-kit/16-inch-electric-hub-motor-kit/c-73/
then the sizes for smaller are 14" 13" 12" 10" 8"
bigger are 18" 20" 24" 26" 27.5" 28" 700C 29" 28"

On a side note, today I was riding around getting shit done and this fella was cruising on his mobility sit down scooter and gosh he was flying. I am thinking it was a custom setup, I should have asked him but it was cold out and I had RHCP bouncing. My whips got a steady look from him, I think it was the hill and no pedaling that got the steady look. Twice actually. Them 8" kits Leafmotor sells would be good, have 3wd or 4wd. Snow conqueror! Leave them others in the snow wake!

Thank You Everyone for Advice

I had a look at that Leafmotor arrangement with the cast wheel. My main reason for the laced wheel was aesthetic. I paid 700Euro for the scooter and I didn't want to compromise the general look. I understand of course that the cast wheel is a great option. It's not clear to me I can fit a standard tyre on that cast wheel. They look like they are made for electric bikes or regular sit on scooters with a wider tyre. That could be a drawback and it is one of the reasns I considered a spiked wheel.

Regards

Ger

Back