Review my clamping L bracket torque arm

Better than cutting off extra from the hose clamps, use a small ziptie to secure the leftover end to the rest of the clamp. Then if for any reason you need to undo and redo it, with more stuff inside the clamp, you don't have to replace it with a new one. ;)

arg....

Totally didn't think about this but now that the wheel is deeper in the drop out, the disc rotor is too deep in the caliper and rubs. Either gonna have to use a smaller rotor, or a ton of washers.

Oh oh, man loose with a new grinder. :shock: Danger.

I know right... me and new power tools :(

Looks like I have two options: run a 140mm rotor, or get a mounting bracket meant for a larger rotor like a 180mm rotor.

That is, I need 10mm of extra clearance, and since the 180mm rotor has a radius of 10mm larger it should fit nicely.

And it's only $9 on amazon (free two day shipping for me) and the rotors are like $20 for a no name brand, so I'll just order it.

Well... I cracked the axle http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34076

3PfqK.jpg

Holy crap, that looks thin. That wasn't shaved any with your grinder? Now I'm worried about my rig. It's clamped only on the wire side too. I never saw any damage when I removed the 2810, But it was only getting fed 1200w.

Holy crap, how much power was you feedin it? I read the thread, and all I could think was, those thin pieces of metal for tourqe plates are gonna cave in for sure! I got half inch thick arms on mine! And you pulled enough tourqe to split the axle inside the chain stays! :shock: :shock: :shock: Holy sheep sh##, Im dumpin my 9C's and getting crystalite HS hubs!
Brian L.

dogman said:
Holy crap, that looks thin. That wasn't shaved any with your grinder? Now I'm worried about my rig. It's clamped only on the wire side too. I never saw any damage when I removed the 2810, But it was only getting fed 1200w.

Can't clamp tightly to the wire side. Auraslip drill his out larger, but even a stock one can easily start to deform with not all that much tightening. Clamping is for the solid side. Also your 10 turn has higher torque per amp, so it has higher potential of spinning out than the faster wind motors even if they are running higher power.

Guess I should have taken a cue by the drilled side covers. Yup, a drilled axle will be weaker, depending how much was taken, and if the bit was straight, there could easily be weak areas. Bummer man, looks like it's time for a new axle. Seems the tourqe plates worked after all. :mrgreen:
Brian L.

I agree, you can't over clamp the wire side. You could easlily squash the tube, causing a fatigue crack. Too busy yesterday to dissasemble my dirt bike, and see what a summer of hard riding has done to mine. It's been pounded plenty hard, as you can see in my vids. I think the drilled out axle is the primary problem this time.

Did that drilled axle tow your lawmowers all summer? That would create some good resistance to the torque.

naw, this is the rear wheel drive black bike in my sig pic. Not the white and green lawn towing bike.

I've been jumping off curbs and off roading with the black bike, so it's seen a bit more abuse.

Back