• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Rod's Raptor 140 Build

Enjoyed the ride today. After changing the seat the tendency to side off has lessened. I would like to try the Moto seat. Since the ride I've also moved the seat fully back. The next option is to fit a longer stem the bikes still too short for me. The bikes high with plenty of ground clearance and has a very similar feel to the Bomber. Its currently weighing in at a heavy 47 kilos. The plan this week is to get both bikes on 18S with the same battery capacity. We hope to do some bush riding next weekend. Just run out of time this weekend. I might try a commute to work one day depending how I feel. Planning on putting a piece of plastic stip above the chain to protect the swing arm from chain slap.

Had a lot of looks today. There's just nothing like this in Perth. A few bombers and fighters and Phasors but few and thin between. Even the paddy wagon had a second look.

Rodney64 said:
. Even the paddy wagon had a second look.
Lol
No doubt.
They look great.
Both on 18s sounds good. You have a 18s bulk charger?
Can you get a side on photo of you on the bike with the suspension taking your weight?
I'm interested to see how how it sits with a rider on it. Its hard to tell if its a big frame or not because its sort of unusual dimensions. Do you think it could be setup more firm in the rear and a bit lower?
Cheers

Nice Rod, its always good to get out for a ride. 18S with a 4080, that will be quick, say 75-80 KPH.

pendragon8000 said:
Rodney64 said:
. Even the paddy wagon had a second look.
Lol
No doubt.
They look great.
Both on 18s sounds good. You have a 18s bulk charger?
Can you get a side on photo of you on the bike with the suspension taking your weight?
I'm interested to see how how it sits with a rider on it. Its hard to tell if its a big frame or not because its sort of unusual dimensions. Do you think it could be setup more firm in the rear and a bit lower?
Cheers
No I haven't which is the issue. 12s and 24s bulk chargers only. I will look at getting a photo today. Current setup is what is recommended for my weight and the frame currently it has the 450lb spring.
It's actually a large frame just that both bikes are set up differently.
Rix said:
Nice Rod, its always good to get out for a ride. 18S with a 4080, that will be quick, say 75-80 KPH.
At the moment only 60k on 18s. I need a 3 speed switch. Im thinking that this controller at the moment is only running at 70% and I need to install one. May try this when I get home from work.

Rodney64 said:
Planning on putting a piece of plastic stip above the chain to protect the swing arm from chain slap.
I was going to comment on that from your video, you'll chew the powdercoat off in the first ride without addressing that. A tensioner on the swing arm might be of use too.

Looks like the seat on the phasor is all the way at the back too! Do you prefer to ride more stretched out or do you have long-ish arms ? Maybe look into a laid back seat post as well so there's not too much leverage on the back of the seat ?

The bike looks like a pit bike with the little wheels. No issue with pedal strike ?

Allex said:
Rodney, the coils and BMSs are ready in the end of next week. After that you can bulk charge your 18s all day long =)

Thanks Alex I may as well get the BMS and coils as well. Let us know when it's ready.
Rix said:
Yah Rod, that's not right 60KPH on 18s, I am getting 65KPH on 14s.

I will try the 3 speed switch today off the Phasor

Hyena said:
Rodney64 said:
Planning on putting a piece of plastic stip above the chain to protect the swing arm from chain slap.
I was going to comment on that from your video, you'll chew the powdercoat off in the first ride without addressing that. A tensioner on the swing arm might be of use too.

Looks like the seat on the phasor is all the way at the back too! Do you prefer to ride more stretched out or do you have long-ish arms ? Maybe look into a laid back seat post as well so there's not too much leverage on the back of the seat ?

The bike looks like a pit bike with the little wheels. No issue with pedal strike ?

I have a piece of 3mm tough clad. I'll put it on today. My backs long so I need the length in the frame Jay.

Hi Rod, bike is looking great.. I can't wait for mine to land!! I opted for a zee crank N nukeproof headset.. Sorry to copy I just couldn't deal with a headset mine field & the zee is great value! I gave into bling in the end & went Hope tech3 v4 for brakes :roll:
From when you sent the Money how long did you have to wait?

Cheers & keep us posted :)

Jonboy

Jonboy said:
Hi Rod, bike is looking great.. I can't wait for mine to land!! I opted for a zee crank N nukeproof headset.. Sorry to copy I just couldn't deal with a headset mine field & the zee is great value! I gave into bling in the end & went Hope tech3 v4 for brakes :roll:

Jonboy
No that's ok. What colour frame did you get. I've copied off others so that's ok. I went shimano as its easy to get parts here in Perth.

I've just received my new throttle today Its a different type of thumb throttle and it looks good. The plan is to fit it on the weekend with some rapid fire leavers for the rear 7 speed freewheel.

http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/6201997962.html

Rodney64 said:
Jonboy said:

Jonboy
No that's ok. What colour frame did you get. I've copied off others so that's ok. I went shimano as its easy to get parts here in Perth.

I've just received my new throttle today Its a different type of thumb throttle and it looks good. The plan is to fit it on the weekend with some rapid fire leavers for the rear 7 speed freewheel.

Rod the Qulbix site shows the 140 with frame white and black swing arm, How is your swingarm white?? special order? then it's just stickers to make the colour..

I went white on white option 20 in 20 in the gallery... Figuring it'd look ok.. black swing arm with my new black Boxxers at the front 8)

I had news that mines back from the paint shop & will be shipped tomorrow :)

What rear Mech you running Rod & what size is your smallest rear sprocket?

Cheers

Jon

Jonboy said:
Rodney64 said:
Jonboy said:

Jonboy

Rod the Qulbix site shows the 140 with frame white and black swing arm, How is your swingarm white?? special order? then it's just stickers to make the colour..

I went white on white option 20 in 20 in the gallery... Figuring it'd look ok.. black swing arm with my new black Boxxers at the front 8)

I had news that mines back from the paint shop & will be shipped tomorrow :)

What rear Mech you running Rod & what size is your smallest rear sprocket?

Cheers

Jon

I asked for the black swing arm as well. Bit I was told that it had been painted white but I accepted it rather than wait for it to be painted black. I have a 11/32 freewheel. I wanted to be able to pedal at a reasons speed.

Rodney64 said:
I was looking at those just the other day Rod! They look better than the usual thumb throttles and may fit on the bars a bit better with the other accessories. Do they actually have a carbon fibre finish ?

Jonboy said:
Yes standard is white frame, black swing arm and black side covers with your choice of stickers.
I ordered a few custom coloured ones with my last order and due to the rush before the holiday qulbix were going on there was a mix up.
I actually like it in all white but changes in colour are normally an optional extra cost.

bachomp said:
Sweet build !

Now I am even more excited and can't wait for my frame and electronics to get here !

bachomp welcome to the forum. What state are you from. Good to see more Raptor builds here down under. I have just fitted a long stem to my Raptor and I'm starting to feel really comfortable on it. Its the same length as my blue Phasor front of stem to seat position.

Went over to Chris's (jonescg )place today and he took it for a spin. Not as much power as Voltron Evo but he still managed to get up a bit of a grin. Currently uploading photos and will post soon.

New stem, still need to secure the cables

Chris spotted a 200 watt sticker on my 4080 today. I never put it there and it was the first time that I had seen it. Certainly way more than 200W when Chris was riding it. :mrgreen:

Sorry I just supplied the frame and motor. Be sure an remove the sticker if you hooked it up to a controller that delivers more than a 2.7A @ 72v :lol:

Hyena said:
Sorry I just supplied the frame and motor. Be sure an remove the sticker if you hooked it up to a controller that delivers more than a 2.7A @ 72v :lol:

As you said, I got 99 problems and the 200watt sticker aint one. :mrgreen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmy113gMds0

Rod, with that long stem on the front, I am curious how the front handles in loose surface corners, specifically, if it wants to wash and lowside on you? Have you tried it off road yet?

No off riding yet Rick but Chris commented on it's turning and that it didnt want to turn. Similar to understeer. When chris Mentioned this to me I did say that I could lower the forks in the front so the stearing would be more direct. But I know absolutely nothing about setups.
Is this what you were talking about Rick. (jonescg) would be the one to talk to about handling with his race bike experience and he rode it yesterday and he did make the comment that he loved it and I'm not sure if that was the handling or the look.

Rodney64 said:
No off riding yet Rick but Chris commented on it's turning and that it didnt want to turn. Similar to understeer. When chris Mentioned this to me I did say that I could lower the forks in the front so the stearing would be more direct. But I know absolutely nothing about setups.
Is this what you were talking about Rick. (jonescg) would be the one to talk to about handling with his race bike experience and he rode it yesterday and he did make the comment that he loved it and I'm not sure if that was the handling or the look.

Yah, Jones CD identified one of the concerns I was asking about with the steering issue, yah with a long stem on bike with a slack head angle you get a bit of handlebar sway effect, and yes, dropping the forks in the triple clamp would help some with that. This is what I think Chris was referring too. The other concern is if the weight is to far forward over the forks, two things will happen in offroad loose corners, upon entering and starting your turn, its possible your rear will want to swap ends with you due to the weight being so far over the front of your wheel because your wheel is sticking the corner to well from weight transition, but because of the weight transfer, your front wheel will tend to stick first, but then, it will push and let loose dramatically. Anyway, when this happens, you will wash and lowside your bike. No matter what a person has for tires and setup, in loose corner anything with two wheels will let go if speed high enough and the envelope is being pushed. Ideally when traction does becomes an issue, if body positioning on the bike is correct, and set up is balanced, both wheels let go at the same time. All that being said, this may not be as much as an issue because Ebikes are heavier, and even with your weight over the bars like it is, with the weight of the rear, and center mass, if there is an effect, it will much less magnified because the heavier weight of an ebike over a regular DH Bike. These are some things you want to pay attention to. If you don't notice these traits, then disregard what I said. But if you are going into corners, and feels like you are on the edge of crashing, you may want to consider a shorter stem, and a layback seat post. Just tell us what your bike is doing and we can get you dialed. No doubt with what Chris has going on with electric Super Bike racing, he will be able to help with set up for certain.

Back