Schwinn Tailwind closeout - Review and range extension idea

jaymacazbd

1 µW
It looks like Schwinn is pushing the Tailwind into steep clearance in quite a few places. My well-used Giant Electric Lite was in the shop for 3 months (on its last legs after 7 years), and when I went to pick it up they had the Tailwind on clearance for $700. I rode it a few times and decided to get it, with the thought that I would eventually swap out the motor, battery and controller with an eZee motor from ebikes.ca like what I have on my electric recumbent. The frame and components are pretty standard so that is possible.

I wrote a detailed review at http://www.janmcdonald.com/jansplace/?p=292 about my experience so far, but I would summarize it to say that if you like comfort bikes and don't mind the inferior implementation of pedal activation and the low range, it may be worth it at the closeout price, with the possibility of converting the bike to a less proprietary system down the line. I find to my surprise that I like the Euro-style features like the Basta lock and dynamo lights, and I am adapting to the power setup for now, but I find the low range a real problem, maxing out at 12 miles or so for me with medium power boost on easy terrain. The 24v, 4.2ah battery does charge wonderfully fast, but that is only a patch on the problem they created. A low range is really annoying, taking a lot of pleasure out of the experience if your rides are close to the limit.

I had a simple idea to extend the range and wonder if anyone sees any reason it wouldn't work.

I was looking at the way the battery plugs into the housing on the rear rack, and saw that it is a simple contact between positive and negative posts on the housing and metal tabs on the battery. I am thinking I could make a very simple clipon attachment to go where the battery contacts the posts -- basically a wood or plastic piece with two holes drilled and metal discs inserted to contact the posts on the housing. I could attach wire to the back of the discs and add Anderson connectors to the ends of the wire, then weatherproof a bit. I already have two 24V, 8Ah Nicad battery packs I got from ebikes.ca awhile back that I use for my recumbent. One of these would simply plug into the attachment via its Anderson connectors to deliver power, and I would quickly have two extra batteries to extend my range with $10 worth of parts. This whole thing could be clipped on and removed easily to switch back to the proprietary battery, so I could carry both for longer trips. That would mean I could use the existing motor and battery until I can afford to switch the whole setup to a different motor, without being crippled on range.

I don't know any reason the Schwinn controller wouldn't work with the Nicad batteries, but if anyone sees a problem, let me know. If Nicad technology is somehow not compatible I could get a LifePO4 24v battery without much expense. The controller came without any documentation, so I don't know much about it. I'm not very knowledgeable about electricity or battery technology in general, so maybe I'm missing something obvious here. BTW, the motor appears to be the 180 watt, 250 max version -- I have seen some reference to a 250/450 version on this bike, but I don't think I have that.

Why not just dive into the wires and replace the controller altogether and get a throttle for takeoff? Schwinn is hedging on the warranty question, saying they will honor the warranty on the motor, battery and controller only if parts are still available, but I'd rather not hack into the wires directly for awhile, in case I could get a warranty part. This seems like a simple solution that wouldn't necessarily void any warranty there may be.

I would appreciate any thoughts! Thanks.

Long as you get contact it will run fine on that NiCad. It might be, that behind the contacts there is a bolt on connector, or a blade connector. Then you could splice in a Y connector without actually cutting a wire.

I happen to have a 24v NiCad charger from grin, from when I used nicads. Want it?

Thanks for the info. I am in good shape on Nicad chargers, but I appreciate the offer!

I am mote interested in your Giant Electric Lite !
7 years?
On it's last legs after just 7 years???

What estimated millage you had on it?

do you have the controller out so you can take pictures?

if you have the type of contact where the battery slides down and rests on top of the contacts to make the connection you should figure out how to rewire it so you can have a solid connection using andersons or bullets. if it brings the wires from the battery out to the location where you could wire in the nicads then you can go through the exercise of figuring out how to combine power. with diodes i expect and some form of LVC for the nicad to protect it.

but you should have pictures here to show what you are talking about. otherwise it is all guessing.

:D Hi,

I just wanted to thank you for the thorough review you posted of the Tailwind. I am looking at one for which the asking price is $890. I have ridden it about 50 miles and my experiences were comparable to the ones you describe in your review. I am now thinking that it might be possible to get the dealer to give me a break on a second battery so that I can get where I'm going.
Thanks again,
John

Back