Science, Physics, Math, & Myth

liveforphysics said:
cal3thousand said:
Also, wouldn't the battery like it better to be paralleled down in this case?

The battery has no configuration preference for having some amount of power drawn from it. It's just as silly to say "high torque battery configuration" as it is to say "high torque motor wind".

If you have a 2t motor and a 4t motor, and you've got a controller to feed them the matched amounts of power (meaning the 2t would be getting fed 2x the average phase current at 1/2 the average phase voltage). Both end up drawing exactly the same amount of load from the battery to make the same amount of torque or power etc.

I think that if you do so, you will decrease system efficiency because the controller has to do twice more "step down conversion". This lowers efficiency therefore more heat in the controller (and also motor?? which is like a coil in a step down converter).
IMO in his case it would be better for overall efficiency to parallel the batteries for half the voltage and double battery AND phase amps.
Or i'm wrong with my train of thoughts?

flathill said:
Place the controller near the motor. If you can't do this for aesthetics, then just make a larger gauge extension harness for the phase wires. This is where you want a connector anyway when you need to pull the motor/wheel off the bike

this isn't good for the controller. a controller should be placed near the battery because high inductance in the battery leads is more bad than in the phase leads.

madin88 said:
liveforphysics said:
The battery has no configuration preference for having some amount of power drawn from it. It's just as silly to say "high torque battery configuration" as it is to say "high torque motor wind".
If you have a 2t motor and a 4t motor, and you've got a controller to feed them the matched amounts of power (meaning the 2t would be getting fed 2x the average phase current at 1/2 the average phase voltage). Both end up drawing exactly the same amount of load from the battery to make the same amount of torque or power etc.

I think that if you do so, you will decrease system efficiency because the controller has to do twice more "step down conversion". This lowers efficiency therefore more heat in the controller (and also motor?? which is like a coil in a step down converter). IMO in his case it would be better for overall efficiency to parallel the batteries for half the voltage and double battery AND phase amps.
Or i'm wrong with my train of thoughts?

Yes exactly. Bucking down too high of a voltage will introduce more system losses within the controller and the power going to the motor will be more "dirty" unless we have a perfect sine wave controller, thus creating slightly more heat in the motor too.

The bucking loss is extremely low. The only loss increase from bucking is slightly more time spent on the body diode in the FET. In a real world application with off the shelf controllers, it would perhaps make something like a 0.1%-0.2% system efficiency difference between starting from 100v and bucking down or starting from 20v and bucking down.

If the controller featured zero current switching and synchronous rectification, it would essentially no penalty at all to buck down from a 1kV pack to drive a low voltage motor.

The bucking is a ringing current loop with the motor phase and the FET and body diode. The motor itself actually is the component doing the bucking, so it's less loss than even conventional buck-converters that don't get to multi-purpose the magnetics doing the bucking.

I suspect some of the critics in this thread might, rightly, object to the idea that lower-turn counts are automatically better in all situations. This goes back to the Goldilocks zone mentioned by johnrobholmes and now also confirmed by John's comments about avoiding very low turn-count motors unless absolute maximum motor performance is your top priority.

The current FETs we get in controllers can handle only a certain current, with phase current tending to be the determining factor, as it's usually higher than battery current. When we select a low turn motor, we increase phase current. At some point this becomes excessive for a single FET, so a controller with multiple FETs must now be used. Current sharing between FETs is apparently poor (hampered by the poor component layout in typical controllers), so the relationship between number of FETs and current capacity is not linear.

Therefore, the average ebike should not use a 4.2V/1000A system. Aside from controller compromises, this would also start giving problems with the wiring harness (conductor size, contact resistance).

Most systems are a system of compromises and common sense must be applied. So, would it be appropriate to conclude that generally, fewer turns for a motor is better, up to the point that it starts to unnecessarily compromise other parts of the system?

LFP, what about higher switching losses in the FET's? I mean losses at 100% PWM (block commutation) when battery voltage = phase voltage VS losses at 50% PWM when RMS phase voltage = half battery voltage?
I'm suspect overall losses are higher than only 0,1-0,2%, but im no electrical engeneer..

I'm very glad to see some accurate talk in here regarding motor winds, and how they DONT affect motor torque unless the controller phase amperage is fixed. As LPF points out in numbers, the best zones for power and torque will be determined by the controller and battery limitations. Hence 12s and 20s lipo being the sweet zone because of FET limitations (thanks for the definitive suggestions LPF!).

Choose a motor wind and wheel size that hits your target speed on your selected voltage, and the rest is just proper phase amp programming. Of course assuming you aren't using undersize components for the power needed.

liveforphysics said:
The bucking loss is extremely low. The only loss increase from bucking is slightly more time spent on the body diode in the FET. In a real world application with off the shelf controllers, it would perhaps make something like a 0.1%-0.2% system efficiency difference between starting from 100v and bucking down or starting from 20v and bucking down.

I can appreciate that the bucking itself is very efficient. I can't wrap my head around ending up with the same result in the motor running the same pack voltages for 2 differently wound motors. When we have the speed wind running a lower pack voltage in the same proportion that it needs higher current, then the two motors having virtually identical performance makes sense to me, because the duty cycle is the same. Running the two different motors at the same pack voltage seems like it forces a lower duty cycle on the speedier motor, and the shorter ON times forces higher current while on for the motor to get the same RMS current to make the same torque.

While I made other changes that prevent anything conclusive it sure seems that my motor is producing more heat at similar low performance levels simply because I increased voltage by 50%. The best example is an almost 2 mile medium grade hill leaving my house in one direction. The curves and road conditions limit me to pretty specific speed up the hill, which is well below max performance before and after the voltage change. Before I added blades to get good air flow, the motor was consistently hotter climbing that hill after the voltage increase than before.

Assuming my view is correct, won't simply limiting the throttle of the fast wind motor by use of a 3 speed switch (which spreads a lower max throttle voltage range over the full range of the throttle position) get the torque curves back in line with each other, so the 2 different winds make the same heat while using the same pack voltage?

Punx0r said:
I suspect some of the critics in this thread might, rightly, object to the idea that lower-turn counts are automatically better in all situations.

Despite my strong preference for speedier wound motors, I would object to that too. It's not black and white. What is black and white is that so called "high torque" motors can't make a lick more torque than so called "high speed" motors without making more heat in the motor, and that fact is in direct contradiction to the main reason people purchase them.

It gets even worse. Let's assume we set both controllers to achieve the same torque at launch. Unless the so called "high torque" motor is run at the proportionately higher voltage or greater, at every rpm greater than 0, the speed wind motor will produce greater torque. :shock: The reason is that the speed wind motor's torque curve is broader and flatter. That means greater and more constant acceleration. This enables you to dial back the current into the speed wind motor for a smoother launch and less heat in the first rotation or two of the wheel, and still have greater torque and acceleration (of course more heat too, since they make the same heat for the same torque) all the way up to a greater top speed. Even if you like to stay slow and don't use the extra speed, it's good to have the overhead, so you get to your cruising speed quicker. I can't imagine suffering with an ebike ridden at WOT with every puff of wind or slightest grade slowing me below my desired speed, not to mention all that extra distance needed to get to the steady state top speed. :mrgreen:

Analysis of typical Radial Flux Iron-Core Motor having variable winds

Concerns & Declarations:
  1. Claimant posits motors of the same manufacture/series having the same load and speed and wheel diameter will use the same power regardless of the number of winds.
  2. Effects of Controllers, Batteries, Cabling leading up to the Motor connectors are to be ignored; let us not introduce distraction. Presume these items are of top-flight quality and can deliver ideal power always. The claim is about the Motor, and nothing else.
  3. All Magnets have the same strength, and are flawless.
  4. All copper conductors within the stator are uniform, having constant resistance and other than length, are not affected by turning radius or by work-hardening during assembly.
  5. Stator Fill-Factor: Not defined. However let us keep the same wiring pattern.
    • Same Wire Gauge, differing number of winds, slot fill will be affected.
    • Altering the strand count and/or wire gauge to fill the slot definitely affects the model.
    • No accountability given for wire gauge through the axle, and cannot be modeled in FEMM. For lower-wind/higher-amp motors this will have a notable cumulative effect - the value of which cannot be ignored at higher demands.
  6. Materials affected by Magnetic Flux
    • Back Iron
      • We know the Back Iron of common 9-inch diameter hub motors (as measured flange to flange) uses standard-wall 8-inch steel pipe that has been machined to suit. Selecting the proper alloy thus becomes problematic.
      • In FEMM, Alloy of “Iron” has a linear curve,
      • Alloy of “Pure Iron” has a non-linear curve,
      • Alloys of all Steel types (except Stainless, explained below) have non-linear curves. For reasons of economy, we must presume a typical steel alloy is used.
    • Stator
      • All stators are made of either Aluminum or Steel alloys
      • Aluminum is a paramagnetic material, although the effects are linear in FEMM.
      • Stainless Steel, depending on alloy and annealed-state can be either linear or non-linear. For this study, Stainless is excluded from the list of candidates.
      • Except for Stainless, all Steel alloys are affected in a non-linear manner.
      • To simplify the problem, we will ignore the core Stator material.
    • Electric Steel/Teeth Material: Standard Radial Flux motors have slotted stators made from laminated “electric” steel alloys. They are affected by magnetic fields in a non-linear manner, the permeability of which can vary widely. The "Teeth" are attached to the core Stator.
    • Other parts of the Motor such as hub covers and axles and rivets, etc. are to be ignored.
  7. STP: All tests are presumed to be a Standard Temperature and Pressure, with no humidity.
  8. The airgap between the Stator and Magnets shall remain the same and constant regardless of load. The construction of the motor is ideal and does not flex or shift dimensionally regardless of the amount of power/current applied.
  9. With the motor at rest at zero power & zero revolutions, the total Magnetic Flux within the airgap, regardless of value, is constant for all winds. Naturally, adding current through the conductors and/or altering the rotational position of the stator relative to the rotor at a reasonable rate will affect changes in density.
Observations before initiating Studies:
Given the non-linear permeability (and reluctance) of materials in close proximity to objects creating or affecting the magnetic field, increasing Flux strength in a linear manner will produce a non-linear reaction. Given that typical Chinese hub motors are manufactured with economy in mind, the Flux Density in the airgap should be clamped below 1.5T to retain induced losses at the minimum; exceeding this value (ignoring cooling issues) will result in profound non-linear losses.

Goals:
  • Pick two winds that are wide enough apart to determine if there are measurable difference. I have a model of the 9C 28XX series already defined in FEMM and offer it as a base. I propose we use the 2805 and 2808. The source file will be included when the modeling is completed.
  • Investigate the same model with different winds.
  • Investigate the effects of same wind but various slot fills – simply because I am a curious person.
  • Results of FEMM to be analyzed/charted in Excel – mainly because I like the tool.
Further analyses will be forwarded as free-time allows over this holiday.
Happy thanksgiving in advance, KF

Kingfish said:
[*]Stator Fill-Factor: Not defined. However let us keep the same wiring pattern.
  • Altering the strand count and/or wire gauge to fill the slot definitely affects the model.

• Copper fill factor must be constant. That is what the entire debate has been about...

Yes fill factor must be constant or you are wasting everyone's time! Luke and I have given you a clear real world situation where the gauge is kept constant and you alter how the winds are paralleled to arrive at 2T, 4T, and 8T winds. Total copper mass and fill factor is exactly the same! This is a real world trick.

Let's say you are making a driver for a loudspeaker. You have locked in steel gap width to work with (you don't want to modify the motor steel). You already have a 2-ohm bifilar voice coil on the shelf but now you need a 8-ohm coil to fit in the same gap with the same clearance. You also want to same power handling. You simply use the same gauge voice coil wire, double the number of turns, and do not parallel the strands. Bam! You have a 8-ohm voice coil with the exact same weight and copper fill and width and height. Your amp will need a double the rail voltage to produce the same SPL with the 8-ohm coil (ignoring inductance). Can you grasp this simple concept?

flathill said:
Yes fill factor must be constant or you are wasting everyone's time! Luke and I have given you a clear real world situation where the gauge is kept constant and you alter how the winds are paralleled to arrive at 2T, 4T, and 8T winds. Total copper mass and fill factor is exactly the same! This is a real world trick.

Let's say you are making a driver for a loudspeaker. You have locked in steel gap width to work with (you don't want to modify the motor steel). You already have a 2-ohm bifilar voice coil on the shelf but now you need a 8-ohm coil to fit in the same gap with the same clearance. You also want to same power handling. You simply use the same gauge voice coil wire, double the number of turns, and do not parallel the strands. Bam! You have a 8-ohm voice coil with the exact same weight and copper fill and width and height. Your amp will need a double the rail voltage to produce the same SPL with the 8-ohm coil (ignoring inductance). Can you grasp this simple concept?

^^This made a lot of sense to me...I don't know of the validity of the statement, but the audio correlation set off light bulbs in my head.

Thanks to all contributors (on both sides of the argument)...I don't know that I'll understand this all anytime soon, but I'm soaking it up as fast as I can.
Though the back and forth may be stressful for some of you (John/KF/LFP) it really does help out someone like me who's trying to figure all this out on my own.

Punx0r said:
Kingfish said:
[*]Stator Fill-Factor: Not defined. However let us keep the same wiring pattern.

• Copper fill factor must be constant. That is what the entire debate has been about...

• KF is just trying to twist things around to try to make himself appear correct, and that's giving him the benefit of the doubt that he actually understands it's apples and oranges. He could be simply stuck on something like one of those crap efficiency brushless washing machine pancake motors, where it's run at such low power that efficiency is all but irrelevant, and the design just calls for a specific torque. If the torque requirement is increased there's plenty of open space between the teeth for more turns without needing thinner copper on each.

Kingfish said:

• Seriously Kingfish. I still like you and think you're a fun guy, but who do you think you're trying to fool at this point? I think most any forum members who have read this thread have become aware for themselves, including yourself. The example you've made is an exercise in pointlessness to prolong admitting the obvious.

Nobody disagree's if you just unwind some turns off your higher turn motor and leave air in the slot rather than copper that a motor decreases performance.

Chalo said:
Not every application is constrained by heat. Most, in fact, are not. Most are constrained first by cost, then by weight or physical size. If your motor will never overheat, then more stall torque is better-- if getting it doesn't require bigger, more expensive components.

This is also a valid perspective. If you have an application with modest speed/power needs, the controller could be smaller/lighter/cheaper (the battery would be the same weight either way). This is the beauty of having the option to select the wind for the application.

liveforphysics said:
This is the beauty of having the option to select the wind for the application.

Great thread guys. I'm loving it. Just a quick thought though...

While most of us here understand which wind is best for our application, I believe that many people in our ebike community, especially newbies, neither understand these concepts nor do they care to take the time to understand in detail. Many people just want to know which combination will work best for them, based on their ebike budget. For those who want to understand, we have great threads like this one. But for those who just want to be able to understand which motor/controller/battery combination works best for them, I'd like to see the sellers of these components list out how other components in the system will change the ebike, that way the buyers can see if this meets their requirements. This could all be listed out in matrix format. I know that this would take a lot of work on the part of the seller, since this could be a lot of data, but even rough estimates could be helpful for people.

For example, in motor threads you could show how the number of turns, rpm/Volt, and wheel size all affect top speed, time to get to cruising speed, and hill climbing. I know that all of this information is available on the forum with just a search, but I'm talking about having it all in one place, with the information pertinent to the product sold.

Theory is great for those of us who understand this, but we can help the entire ebike community by showing how we can apply this theory by showing data from example setups.

You've now gained awareness through understanding you can enjoy making cheap and simple to manage batteries.

LFP,

One thing is still bugging me in this thread, and that is the idea that I can run the same voltage with a speed wind and a slow wind motor and get the same efficiency at low speeds at the same rpm and load, so same power at the wheel.

I appreciate that bucking to the lower apparent voltage is very efficient, but it seems to me that the speed wind motor would run at a lower duty cycle, and that would cause phase currents to be higher for the speed wind motor than they would be if it ran the proportionately lower voltage required for identical performance of the low speed motor.

Let's look again at the simple case, the motor with double the Kv of the other. With the speed wind using a battery pack of half the voltage of the slow motor, and the speed wind set to double the current limit, it makes sense that they would both reach full duty at the same rpm pushing the same load. If we take the speed wind and give it the same pack voltage as the slow wind, wouldn't it be at 50% duty cycle at the same rpm and load? Doesn't that double the current compared to full duty at the lower voltage....though it would be only on for half the time? Since heat increases by the square of current, doesn't that create more heat in the windings?

I can measure battery side, but once the controller does it's thing to feed the motor, I'm unclear what exactly happens on the phase side at partial duty. I'm good at the practical side though, and when I went up in voltage on my system and before I completed my cooling mods, I definitely noted a hotter motor even riding at low speeds. After I noticed it, I even tried riding very easy to try to make sure the heat increase wasn't from using the greater performance on tap, and still got a hotter motor.

John

You are correct that the fast motor will be at lower duty and higher phase amps, as opposed to a slow motor when at the same rpm and load. Heat in the motor would not change, as the higher phase amps of the faster motor is balanced by the lower phase resistance.

John in CR said:
LFP,

One thing is still bugging me in this thread, and that is the idea that I can run the same voltage with a speed wind and a slow wind motor and get the same efficiency at low speeds at the same rpm and load, so same power at the wheel.

I appreciate that bucking to the lower apparent voltage is very efficient, but it seems to me that the speed wind motor would run at a lower duty cycle, and that would cause phase currents to be higher for the speed wind motor than they would be if it ran the proportionately lower voltage required for identical performance of the low speed motor.

Let's look again at the simple case, the motor with double the Kv of the other. With the speed wind using a battery pack of half the voltage of the slow motor, and the speed wind set to double the current limit, it makes sense that they would both reach full duty at the same rpm pushing the same load. If we take the speed wind and give it the same pack voltage as the slow wind, wouldn't it be at 50% duty cycle at the same rpm and load? Doesn't that double the current compared to full duty at the lower voltage....though it would be only on for half the time? Since heat increases by the square of current, doesn't that create more heat in the windings?

I can measure battery side, but once the controller does it's thing to feed the motor, I'm unclear what exactly happens on the phase side at partial duty. I'm good at the practical side though, and when I went up in voltage on my system and before I completed my cooling mods, I definitely noted a hotter motor even riding at low speeds. After I noticed it, I even tried riding very easy to try to make sure the heat increase wasn't from using the greater performance on tap, and still got a hotter motor.

John

As the controller bucks, the current doesn't stop flowing when it's not switched on, it just flows from the coil's field collapsing back into the controller's mosfet body diode. The inductance of the motor does for current what a capacitor does for voltage, this keeps it essentially smooth and regular, even while the FET is pwm'ing at 20kHz or whatever, and the voltage waveform looks like a mess of ugly square waves (even on a sinus controller).

This makes the penalty of starting from higher voltage and bucking down come from increased time spent conducting through the MOSFET's body diode while the FET is in the 'off' state of the PWM'ing cycle.

Let's look at what sort of bucking already occurs with a controller starting from a stop. Let's say our motor has say 10mOhm phase resistance. Let's say the controller phase current is set to ~200A. This means taking off from a stop, whatever pack voltage you started from, it's going to buck it down to an average of ~2V. If you started from a 100V battery, and bucked 100V to 2V, it means the controller was running something like a ~2% dutycycle to create the average 2V voltage required to keep 200A of current in the winding while starting from a stop. If you ran a 50V battery, it would be something like ~4% duty cycle. If you range a 25V battery it would be something like 8% duty cycle.

Once you start rolling at the wheel gets BEMF, the duty cycles for current control all grow rapidly as the generated BEMF of the motor climbs with RPM.

Because the 'off' state of current flowing through the body diode has higher loss (because it's conducting through the diode which has a ~0.8-1.5Vf), it enables slightly reduced controller losses to drive from a lower pack voltage. In practice this is going to be unlikely to ever make even a <1% system efficiency difference (from slightly reduced controller losses), and no difference in the motor performance itself.

It would make no sense to run more pack voltage than you need to spin your motor through the RPM range you need if you were planning a new ground-up system build. That would just be extra battery management hassles, cost and complexity and reduced safety for no benefit and a likely unnoticeable tiny efficiency hit.

If you happen to already have a bike or vehicle battery at a higher voltage already built and BMS'd in the vehicle, I don't think it would be worth changing it just for an extremely tiny efficiency difference in the controller. If you're building a new system, then of course it would be silly to go any higher pack voltage than needed.

I still can't get a clear picture from all this. :mrgreen:

Say we have
system A:
75V FET controller 400A phase
14s 40Ah battery
3T Motor

The heat generated in the motor windings is the same over the whole RPM range under same conditions as on
system B:
150V FET controller 200A phase
28s 20Ah battery
6T Motor

?

\/ampa said:
I still can't get a clear picture from all this. :mrgreen:

Say we have
system A:
75V FET controller 400A phase
14s 40Ah battery
3T Motor

The heat generated in the motor windings is the same over the whole RPM range under same conditions as on
system B:
150V FET controller 200A phase
28s 20Ah battery
6T Motor

?

Those would behave identically from a motor perspective. The 75V unit could use a smaller controller, and/or be more powerful if it has the same size controller.

Think in terms of Amp-turns around a tooth. The tooth doesn't know or care how those amp-turns came to be.

LFP,

I think I soaked in all of that penultimate post, but I still am having trouble getting past the following...still same 2 to 1 motors, same hill, same speed. Let's tack on being at the point where if we run proportional voltage and currents to the two motor that we're at the point where both go to full duty. I'm still visualizing (the requirement of me to truly understand) that if our speed wind motor runs at the slow motor's voltage, 2X, it puts us as 50% duty. I need that because the controller doesn't store energy, so what comes out on the phase end needs to still equal. Doesn't that put the ON segment of that PWM cycle only for 50% of the time period, so phase current must be double?

Putting it into example form, say the slow motor needs 50A to make the torque required. If the battery voltage is half for the speed motor, it takes 100A for the same torque, and we're at full duty so everything is on for both for the full PWM. Now if battery voltage for the speed motor is the same as the slow motor, it still needs 100A on the phase wires, but assuming it's on for only half the time due to the higher pack voltage, it needs 200A while on for an RMS current of 100A. If that's true then the speed motor running the high voltage makes more heat with the shorter on time of higher current. eg 100A ON for a full cycle makes less heat than 200A ON for 1/2 cycle of PWM.

Where am I going wrong? Let's not talk system, just the motor. "Apparent voltage" doesn't work for me, because all I "see" is current, and I think I pretty much understand how turning that current on and off very fast and for different ON times gives an apparent voltage difference to the motor.

One thing to consider is in most systems it is much easier to pull heat out of the controller than a typical hub motor.

Even if the 150V controller is less efficient and require a larger heat sink than a 100V controller, it could be the motor designed to run on 150V will have a slight efficiency advantage, not from the winding difference (give we are talking equal fill factor), but because of the losses in the phase wire connections and terminations...depending if they are twisted together and cold soldered, soldered correctly (difficult with large thermal mass), how the insulation was stripped, welded, etc...the higher voltage system is more tolerant of poor connections

Still, ~100V is typically the sweet spot for total system efficiency given the state of the art switching devices we can get our hands on

Back