So odd question about controllers

Jamessaki

10 W
Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/141992392246

This is the kit I bought but.....I was told not to put controller in bag with battery as that's unsafe .......so where would I put it????

I mount my controllers on the bottom of the frame where they get plenty of airflow.

Some builders ride in a very dry climate, so that's not an issue for them. For a wet climate, you might consider mounting the controller with the wires coming out of the bottom. In spite of a factory-installed sealant at the entry point for the wire-bundle, that location can still be a place where water enters, if the controller is mounted with the wire-bundle exit on top...

If I had that concern, I would pull the outer case off and spray the insides with an electrical protective coating, and during re-assembly, I would add high-temp silicone to the top and side seams.

If I had sprayed the insides with a protective coating, I would add a small drain-hole at the bottom, for condensation to escape.

I would extend the wires with soldered joints, using marine-grade heat-shrink, and make them long enough that the connectors were up inside the battery bag. Just a few thoughts, I hope they were helpful...

Edit: I don't remember anyone who mounted the controller in a bag, and then provided ducts and fans to cool it, but it just seems like that would work?

That's an old original photo. The wires have come out the bottom for years. Still, I don't ride in the rain anyway. I have ridden about 100 yards in a foot deep water. Didn't hurt anything, but took a while to dry out. If there's room you might want to mount it on the seat tube. Wires down.

Jamessaki said:
I live in Minnesota so it can be rainy or snowy any ideas I can post a pic of bike I bought if helps
It'll be fine in a bag. Thousands of people all over the world, including me in UK, have installed those kits with the controller in the bag without any problems. At least the controller and connections wil stay dry, which is the biggest concern.

If it didn't work, everybody would be sending their controllers back to the sellers, who would soon figure out not to provide the bag.

If you want to put it in a bag with the battery, just put some insulation between them, like a bit of styrofoam.

My controllers have been in a frame bag w/ the batteries for a least 5 years;

100_0064.JPG

Bag fine in wet cold weather, like winter. otherwise outside. My favorite place for controllers is right under my ass. Think about it, its a dry place if you are moving forward into rain. If a battery is on top of a rear rack, I mount it right on the front of the bag or box, between the battery and my seat.

If the battery is elsewhere, still top of the rack, crosswise and to the front, leaving most of the rack still free for cargo. I put something on the underside of the rack, to act like a fender if the bike does not have a fender.

Some people will tell you what's ideal.
Some will tell you what's practical.
Some will tell you what's adequate.
Some will just boast about what they've done.
Some have never acualy done it, but are happy to reproduce what they've read.

The more you read, the more you get confused. Take a step back and use some logic. Those kits are sold all over the world. You can find them on every Ebay, Amazon and everywhere else. Most people that buy them never visit any forums. They just stick the controller in the bag provided. If that didn’t work, there'd be a lot of complaints and the sellers would have to change something. My advice is to stick it in the bag. See if the controller gets too hot to hold your hand on. If it does, then change something.

True enough that, if you can hold it in your hand, its not getting too hot.

I merely suggested the driest place I have found to mount a controller, out side of a bag or box. Summer can be pretty warm anywhere in the US, but I bet its not hitting 100+ 30 days a year where he is, like it does where I live. Also humidity plays a role, where I live its very low, so air cooling works poorly. in a more humid place, a tiny bit of air can do the job. I do tend to suggest things based on as bad as it can get, till I get more information.

But lets face it,, the engineer put cooling fins on the controller. Whatever the dork selling this shit thinks, some engineers think the cooler the controller is the better. On the other hand, there are lots of controllers without cooling fins, but mostly they are designed to mount to the frame, and cool good enough because the box is not smothered. It actually heat sinks to the frame, the way they mount. 90% chance, if you just leave the bag zip partly open in dry hot weather, it will cool enough to be just fine. Again, if you can hold it, no problems.

FWIW, what I do everyday for a living is exactly what I do here. I try to help people match what they need, with what they are buying. I'm not always right, but I have some experience on the road, and in the advice business.

Controllers are designed to be water resistant, and depending on the power level can get quite warm. If they don't get enough airflow they can get quite hot. It really depends on the individual situation. The folks on here who have success and put controllers in bags are generally running lower power, or live in cooler climates. If you can arrange airflow through the bag then you can have both protection and airflow. You might consider setting up a temporary mount and test to see if your controller on your bike with your setup runs warm. Be prepared to reconfigure it for improved airflow. From an engineering viewpoint the controller is best placed close to the battery with short cabling to the battery, with good airflow, but you don't want controller to heat the battery or to overheat. Do some experiments and find out what works for you. Not all systems are the same. If you are riding in 110F weather your needs will be different than riding in 40F conditions. If you need long cables put them on the motor side, not the battery side of the controller.

Alan B said:
Controllers are designed to be water resistant, and depending on the power level can get quite warm. If they don't get enough airflow they can get quite hot. It really depends on the individual situation. The folks on here who have success and put controllers in bags are generally running lower power, or live in cooler climates. If you can arrange airflow through the bag then you can have both protection and airflow. You might consider setting up a temporary mount and test to see if your controller on your bike with your setup runs warm. Be prepared to reconfigure it for improved airflow. From an engineering viewpoint the controller is best placed close to the battery with short cabling to the battery, with good airflow, but you don't want controller to heat the battery or to overheat. Do some experiments and find out what works for you. Not all systems are the same. If you are riding in 110F weather your needs will be different than riding in 40F conditions. If you need long cables put them on the motor side, not the battery side of the controller.

Hottest it gets here is in 90s but that's for 2 or 3 months
Rest of time it's 40-75

Rest of that time it's winter

How's this bike look BTW
https://s18.postimg.org/49037kixl/Screenshot_20170703-114948.png

I am in a wet area and so put my controller on top been riding this bike 3 years (5-6,000) miles no problems at all.

Keith

Attachments

• bike may small.jpg
    bike may small.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 1,645
well i just learned a big issue (and i have no idea if it is a issue or not)
but my bike has a shiftier (that one weird thing that i guess helps a chain not snap)
a revo shifter or derailed or something i have no idea what it is called.
But i was told that will NOT work with a twist throttle bike.

Voltron said:
Usually people move the twist shifter to the left side of the bars to make room for the throttle...

the thing is theres a lcd screen that i think changes the gears / shifts
because it has 1-7 (i think) assist levels for changing stuff (see pic provided)
s-l1600.jpg

* Aluminum alloy powerful controller guarantee big current supply
* Adjustable 5 level intelligent pedal assist with twist throttle
* LCD Display shows battery level and pedal assistance settings
* Brake Levers cut off the power supply to the motor safely
* 8 Point Crank speed sensor for High Efficient Pedal Assist
* Aluminum alloy powerful controller

The LCD has nothing to do with the gears. It changes the power to the motor when you pedal if you fit the pedal sensor (recommended). Your revo shifter is no problem either. you can get a lot of different throttles. Some can be fitted on the left side, so there's always a problem.

Whenever you fit a kit, there's always something you have to change to get it to fit and to get it working properly.

When you get your bike, post a picture of the handlebars, then we can recommend what throttle solution you need. In fact, you don't even need a throttle if you fit the pedal sensor, though one is always useful. It;s illegal to sell a bike with a throttle in Europe!

This bike has revo shifters and you can just see the thump throttle on the right side next to the shifter. It fits perfectly. I changed the brakes to hydraulic, which I recommend you do.

d8veh said:
The LCD has nothing to do with the gears. It changes the power to the motor when you pedal if you fit the pedal sensor (recommended). Your revo shifter is no problem either. you can get a lot of different throttles. Some can be fitted on the left side, so there's always a problem.

Whenever you fit a kit, there's always something you have to change to get it to fit and to get it working properly.

When you get your bike, post a picture of the handlebars, then we can recommend what throttle solution you need. In fact, you don't even need a throttle if you fit the pedal sensor, though one is always useful. It;s illegal to sell a bike with a throttle in Europe!

This bike has revo shifters and you can just see the thump throttle on the right side next to the shifter. It fits perfectly. I changed the brakes to hydraulic, which I recommend you do.

the kit has this 1x Pedal Assist Crank Sensor

but i do want to have the option of pedal assist if i chose to but mostly almost always throttle
image.png

oi2.png

It looks like there's plenty of room for a thumb-throttle there. Just move the brake lever in a bit to make room between the brake and the shifter.

maybe one of these throttles:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Accelerator-Grip-Twist-Cable-Left-Right-Bike-Throttle-Grip-Handle-Ebike-Electric-Bicycle-Mountain-Switch-Power/32740823950.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.0.p09X7U

or one of these:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Ebike-Scootor-Accelerator-On-The-Left-Or-Right-Side-22mm-Handlebar-Black-Thumb-Throttle-Ebike-Parts/32753969639.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.0.p09X7U

d8veh said:
It looks like there's plenty of room for a thumb-throttle there. Just move the brake lever in a bit to make room between the brake and the shifter.

maybe one of these throttles:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Accelerator-Grip-Twist-Cable-Left-Right-Bike-Throttle-Grip-Handle-Ebike-Electric-Bicycle-Mountain-Switch-Power/32740823950.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.0.p09X7U

or one of these:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Ebike-Scootor-Accelerator-On-The-Left-Or-Right-Side-22mm-Handlebar-Black-Thumb-Throttle-Ebike-Parts/32753969639.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.0.p09X7U

the kit has twist throttle lol

But i am going to remove the left and right shifters and the derailleur and put a underbar shifter on

Or just use old friction shifters very cheap twist shifters get in my way you must decide and look at everything about the bike you're going to get to see how all your parts will fit in work you don't want a bunch of crap you can't use on The Handlebar and never never hang your lock from The Handlebar

999zip999 said:
Or just use old friction shifters very cheap twist shifters get in my way you must decide and look at everything about the bike you're going to get to see how all your parts will fit in work you don't want a bunch of crap you can't use on The Handlebar and never never hang your lock from The Handlebar

I'm going to use a thumb throttle I bought plug that in and use that and replace bike brakes with kit brakes. Put back on old grips or put new ones on but cut off the excess grip for better full grip

Back