SoCal Motor Bicycle Race Sat Oct 22nd 2011 Grange Race Track

I REALLY REALLY like your bike Paul. That has to be one of the top 5 ebikes ever built in the world. I really really like it.

It's going to be great to see you soon. :)

Anyone have feedback on the Racing Schedule?

It's going to be an action packed schedule all the way to sunset.

===================================================

Grange Motor Circuit, Saturday October 22nd Racing Schedule.

Gate opens at 6:00am for Registration and Payment.

Track hours 7.30am - 6:00pm

Practice 7.30am - 9.40am

9:40 - 9:55 Racers Meeting.

Heat # 1, 5 Laps + 1 warm up lap

10:00 - 10:15 ebikes

10:15 - 10:30 <50cc 4 Stroke

10:30 - 10:45 2 Stroke, Group #1

10:45 - 11:00 2 Stroke, Group #2

11:00 - 11:15 Mid Range

11:15 - 11:30 <11 hp

Heat # 2, 5 Laps + 1 warm up lap

11:30 - 11:45 ebikes

11:45 - 12:00 <50cc 4 Stroke

12:00 - 12:15 2 Stroke, Group #1

12:15 - 12:30 2 Stroke, Group #2

12:30 - 12:45 Mid Range

12:45 - 1:30 <11 hp

Finals, 12 Laps + 1 warm up lap

1:30 - 1:55 ebikes FINAL

1:55 - 2:20 <50cc 4 Stroke FINAL

2:20 - 2:45 2 Stroke, Group #1 FINAL

2:45 - 3:10 2 Stroke, Group #2 FINAL

3:10 - 3:35 Mid Range FINAL

3:35 - 4:00 <11 hp FINAL

ULTIMATE Race of the 5 Classes 12 Laps + 1 warm up lap

4:10 - 4:40

UNLIMITED Race

4.50 - 5:10

Drag Racing

5:10 - 6:00

PRIZE CEREMONY

If any Class has to eliminate a Heat, all races move up in time slots.

SPEED LIMIT IS 5 MPH IN THE PITS.

AussieJester said:
PaulD ... i secretly have my cash on you to take the win (if ThudSTeR blows up)
so don't let me down young fella! ride like the wiiiiiind! hehe best of luck mate :wink:
KiM

Thanks AJ and Luke, looking forward to some track time! I'm sure there will be faster bikes out there, but it'll be fun either way. :D

PaulD said:
AussieJester said:
PaulD ... i secretly have my cash on you to take the win (if ThudSTeR blows up)
so don't let me down young fella! ride like the wiiiiiind! hehe best of luck mate :wink:
KiM

Thanks AJ and Luke, looking forward to some track time! I'm sure there will be faster bikes out there, but it'll be fun either way. :D

I'm sure there will be, but they gotta stop AND get around the corners, that yoiu do very very well
moneys on the rider not the bike...but your bike is pretty kickass none the less!! Long as
you beat Luke i'll be happy, tinnie tiny Turnigy against his custom wound Golden motor thing haha...

KiM

Ill post a picture when I have some daylight, but ready-to run with rider weight is 170 lbs :evil:

I don't think I'm going to show up. Controller just popped on a 100 ft ride to make sure my battery pack was good. Kind of a waste of time for me to go now. Spent at least $400 the last 2 weeks trying to get ready not including this fried controller so add another $130 I guess. I was also only on 40% power max. Did the cap failing cause everything else to fail in a cascade? Can get the motor to turn with the other two phases and it looks like on side of the blown FETs still works when I scoped it., unless I was seeing something else. I'm no BLDC expert by any means.

I'm just so frocking depressed right now. I have almost no life because everyone is a broke as a joke or a total Jew. I can't believe this. I need a 150V controller right now if I'm going to run, done with these IRFB4110 after this. Why couldn't it just wait until next week to blow, frock!

I need a controller overnighted like right now.

Wow that's too bad. You know I spent $170 on a motor last year, didn't need a controller or batteries. Put 3200 miles on it so far and it's barely broken in. Err, actually, it was an engine. A 4-stroke Chonda engine to be exact. Yall will smoke my bike on a track but don't you dare race me coast to coast :p :mrgreen:

Best of luck to you eBikers! You're gonna need it!

Finding a gas station to fuel your bike is a pain in the ASS but charging it while at home is REALY not. As we convert you stinky bikers you will see its so so much better!

zombiess said:
I don't think I'm going to show up. Controller just popped on a 100 ft ride to make sure my battery pack was good. Kind of a waste of time for me to go now. Spent at least $400 the last 2 weeks trying to get ready not including this fried controller so add another $130 I guess. I was also only on 40% power max. Did the cap failing cause everything else to fail in a cascade? Can get the motor to turn with the other two phases and it looks like on side of the blown FETs still works when I scoped it., unless I was seeing something else. I'm no BLDC expert by any means.

I'm just so frocking depressed right now. I have almost no life because everyone is a broke as a joke or a total Jew. I can't believe this. I need a 150V controller right now if I'm going to run, done with these IRFB4110 after this. Why couldn't it just wait until next week to blow, frock!

I need a controller overnighted like right now.

Somebody here should be able to help you my friend. I borrowed Method's 2 personal controllers and all ready am using them on 2 hubmotor bikes for this race, and I only have a giant kelly and some sevcons (which would take way too long to setup). Somebody here must have something you could use though!

I have Lyen overnighting me a 18FET 150V controller. I'll probably just run it at 24S an 40A which should be plenty due to my short wheel base which wants to lift the front coming out of corners. It should be here tomorrow around noon, but I have to get the connectors changed and install it, then I should be good to go.

When Lyen get's more 12 FET boards in stock he's going to sell me one so all I have to do then is solder up the wires and replace the FET's so at least it's a cheap fix to have another 12 FET controller.

Kudos to lyen for the quick ship, hope it works for you. What motor are you running?

Farfle said:
Kudos to lyen for the quick ship, hope it works for you. What motor are you running?

9c 2806, 12AWG phase wire, ventilated covers. On the the 10 mile ride up a 1% grade the controller worked great, I beat the hell out of it the best I could on the street / bike path and the motor only got a little warm which surprised me, vented covers helped a lot more than I thought they would and motor now has a nice high pitch whine at 40+. It's hard to keep pumping 3000+ watts continuously into a motor in an urban environment, lots of slowing and acceleration. Curious to see what happens on the track.

On the the test ride to/from work the day before it popped I saw a peak amp reading of 103A (I should have the shunt pretty close to accurate, but haven't double checked it yet). That means I burst 10KW into it. It also means that if it was at part throttle the phase amps were sky high due to me modulating the throttle to keep the front wheel down and could have weakened the FET on the that phase. This thing accelerates pretty good and I was able to pull away from my neighbors KT100 kart from a 10mph roll until about 40mph (but he's running a can and not a pipe which would probably make a big difference).

Lyen is saving my ass by sending me this controller over night. I'm finally going to have some voltage headroom.

FYI, as long as I make this race, I'm bringing my tools. Complete socket set, multiple wrenches, allen keys, Fluke dual channel portable oscilloscope, crack smoking torch, soldering irons, heat shrink, wire, connectors etc.

You rock Zombiess!!!

Its going to be great to finally meet you in person bro. :)

We did some runs in the large parking lot here at work. Bike goes hard, makes me giggle to ride, and makes me giggle to watch someone else riding it. For those who don't know, giggles are a critical performance indicator key.

That hookworm is starting to shred pieces off the carcass... The bike has about 30 minutes total of run time on it now...

Battery pack is a serious over-achiever, for a pack with just a shade under 2kw-hr, it really lasts a long time. I don't know if I would even need to recharge to do all my heats and the main. (but I will of course).

What charger are you running LFP? Are you balancing those at all? Or just LVC/HVC?

Farfle said:
What charger are you running LFP? Are you balancing those at all? Or just LVC/HVC?

No balancing, I start with good cells that I check, and put in balance manually once, then build the pack, run some cycles, check balance (it stays dead-nuts perfect), and then I just batch charge from power supplies. (I've got 6 x 1,500w power supplies in parallel that I use as my small charge setup.)

No HVC so I can charge to 4.35v if I need to do 50miles of racing or something crazy, and no LVC, so I can run the pack into destruction and fire if I need to finish the last lap etc.

liveforphysics said:
You rock Zombiess!!!
Bike goes hard, makes me giggle to ride, and makes me giggle to watch someone else riding it. For those who don't know, giggles are a critical performance indicator key.

I'm not sure if others here understand what it means to us when we giggle. You or I could hope on a turbo Hyabusa and when we came back we would probably be shaking a little from the adrenaline, but the uncontrollable giggling is what would disturb most people.

It doesn't have to be fast for giggle factor either. To date, this has been the biggest giggle factor vehicle I've ever had the pleasure to play with. The race track finally made us stop taking passengers after they found out we had 5 people in it when making passes :lol: On the street we've had to stop from laughing so hard we were in tears and couldn't see after street racing. These are the friends I hang with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqsbqXKLXN0

6800lbs, 5.3L gasoline, turbo

But back to bikes, I seriously need an extended swing arm to make my bike more fun. I'm really thinking 6" more should do the trick.

My hotel is booked. I'm sharing a room with Lyen at:

Hilton Garden Inn Victorville
12603 Mariposa Road, Victorville, CA 92395

16 miles from the track right off the highway. Looks nice, double queen beds and good reviews.

If the track people let me I will be setting up a couple of 10 x 10 pop-ups and 2 tables and mark a nice big spot with pink tape at the farthest end of the track on the outside of the pit lane for you electric guys Friday at noon. It's the best corner anyway.

Will be there at 7:00 am Sat. to claim our space.

Hahahhahahaa... this was my 1000 post 8)

Karma?

Hey! looks like Lyen will be making it to the race with the Zombie too.

Too cool!

Anybody wants to help setting up pits Friday around noon or later for the electric riders will be appreciated. I will be trying to hog a good chunk at the end of the track for us. I'll be bringing 2- 10 x 10' popups and a couple of 6' tables and a 3.5kw generator with lots of chargers and a few 12g cords. I'll have tools, wire and connectors too.

Alan B said:
Wish I could be there. Bring my 29 foot trailer. Maybe next time, only about 400 miles from here.

Ride safe and fast!

We just lost 2 of my riders, including the guy with the pickup truck that was hauling down 4 bikes!!!

If you really have a 29ft trailer, we could make it a full load of guys and bikes if you could lend it. :)

It is a camping trailer, no room for bikes in there really. Be good for relaxing after the race though. But my weekend is unfortunately booked.

I also have an 8 foot utility trailer, but you probably need bigger and heavier. It is full of junk now but if you want to borrow it we could arrange that. I would think a bigger u-haul would be better.

At http://www.ElectricBicyclesMagazine.com we would very much like to give editorial coverage to this race, but unfortunately we are currently fighting a deadline for our first issue, so cannot make it to the race.
So if any of you folks will shoot photos and do write ups, we will publish them. If several of you write that's ok. We will combine the writtings into one article including multiple by-lines.
Here specifically is what we would like:
A group photo of all the electric guys and their bikes. Name them left to right.
A single photo of each guy and his bike. His name, where he is from and how he did in the race. Also, a close up photo of his bike with technical info about the bike--motor, battery, gearing, watts, amps, etc.
Naturally, we would like some action photos as well., .
Over-all coverage of the race would also be great. but keep in mind that our only interest is in the electrics
Email photos and editorial coverage to:
info@ElectricBicyclesMagazine.com
Questions ? Phone the editor.
562-708-6316

Would love to go and just watch this race, let alone ride in it. Would be very interesting seeing all of the competitors, checking out their rides and seeing the carnage :) Too bad it is a 14 hour flight away. I think we need something similar in Aus!

Back