Spot Ajax Bafang conversion

sculptingman

100 mW
Spot Ajax with a 750watt Bafang. Alfine 8. 48v 11ah.

With heavy saddle, twin kickstand, rack, 44 lbs

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 2,295
How's the alfine/ajax combo? I would imagine the hub doesn't like being shifted under load.

Nope...doesn't like shifting under load.... I just tap the brake handle enough to kill the power before shifting.

I can say that the 8 gear spread is pretty close to perfect. It motors up a 25% grade in first or second, albeit slowly... With pedal input, it will go uphill at 18 mph.
The combination of 8 hub gears and 9 pedal assist levels makes for a very wide "effective" gear range in terms of rider effort.

I would like to move to a Rohloff, so I can go back to the Gates carbon drive... ( only the Rohloff lines up with the Bafang chainline via an adapter ) but I am now not sure I need the extra range of the Rohloff ( or the extra cost)
I might swap out the Alfine for a NuVinci... As I know they take shift loading much better...
Or even a 5 speed hub if I can find one robust enough to handle the power.

I got the Ajax because I liked the aesthetics of the larger aluminum tubes... Normal steel tubes end up looking rickety with the massive battery... The down tube on the Ajax is squarish... And it comes with the nearly invisible decals...Overall a clean look.
If I ran a lighter titanium brooks, lost the rack and two legged kickstand... The bike weighs in at 39 lbs with the big battery.

Slick looking ride,very well put together 8) .

Back