Spun front axle and flew over the bars @ 25mph

MidniteTweeker said:
http://www.tripendo.com/EDEFAULT.htm might give you some ideas. Check out the Fun on the Bend link.

MT

Cool, but does a leaning tadpole eliminate the problem if the rear wheel locks? I see a leaning delta as easier to get right, and if I do the engineering needed for a good leaning 2 in front, then I might as well go the distance and make it a leaning 4 wheeler instead. :D

John

Just my opinion, but I wouldn't get too hung up on the issue of rear wheel lock up. For example, front wheel lock up on a two wheeler is much worse. Fundamentally, the same thing happens---once the wheel begins sliding it goes wherever it wants to. Catching a front wheel skid before you crash is notoriously hard to do.

Locking the rear on a tadpole doesn't produce anything different than locking the rear of a two wheeler, except that on the two wheeler you'll be dabbing with one foot or the other to stay upright. With an upright you probably can turn the front wheel more sharply to steer into the skid than you can on a tadpole. This probably helps control a skid more than anything. But again, no rear brake = no skid to begin with, at least with a freewheel.

In my mind, one of the biggest advantages of a tadpole is the simplicity of the driveline. That is, no differential needed, at least as long as you stay with rear wheel drive.

http://www.cab-bike.com/english/ shows some of what's available in Europe. There are others. All I've seen are based on tadppoles, not to say something couldn't be done with a delta. I think one of these cab-bikes set up with electric drive would be a hot set up, although my personal preference is for a 26" rear wheel.

MT

I always drool at the sight of a good Velo, and I believe many (including Cab-Bike?) offer optional electric assist. The problem is latitude! In the sub-tropics and tropics it is impossible to ride in the summer heat. Yes, you can take the canopy off and ride open, but even a simple front fairing makes it impossibly hot. We need Velo air! I agree that tilt tech is very difficult. Even a simple front suspension is quite an engineering feat. I think the Go-ped folks developed a wheelchair torsion suspension that might work for trikes!
otherDoc

Thanks for all the comments on E-bike safety. I have an interest in safety with 35 mph performance to keep up with city traffic. I started with a long wheelbase recumbent and now ride a delta E- trike. I attached a photo. I have lean wheels on the front of the delta trike. I am using a Redline 20 inch BMX front fork. I use torque arms on each side with fasteners tapped into the steel plates of the fork. The front lean wheels will support the front of the trike even if the front wheel comes off. I use a 4 point racing harness and a roll bar. I am using 72 volts with a Crystalyte 404/408 two speed front hub. I recently upgradsed the controller from a 20 amp to a 35 amp 72 volt Crystalyte controller. The 20 amp controlled failed on hills. I have conducted roll over tests on the safety trike. The rollbar keeps the trike from rolling over more than 90 degrees. The trike slides on the side impact tube as designed and protects the operator. I woulde appreciate any comments and recommendations from the group. It is a lot of fun to ride.
Don Gerhardt

Attachments

• IMG_0009 Gerhardt E-Trike Lean Wheels 7-8-09.jpg 639x426.jpg
    IMG_0009 Gerhardt E-Trike Lean Wheels 7-8-09.jpg 639x426.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 1,608
Wow! That's quite an engineering feat, gerhardt! I've thought about a rollbar, having had a serious spin and roll accident on my old trike. Any details on how it is attached and the weight involved? It looks like kind of a roll cage and I like the harness!
otherDoc

Hi Doc,
Thanks for your interest in my Safety E-trike. The trike has two roll bars. The lower rollbar is 36 inches high and is welded into the frame structure. The upper rollbar is 48 inches high. The upper rollbar is removable to allow the trike to be transported in a minivan. The upper rollbar is constructed of .75 inch OD aircraft alloy 4130 steel tubing with .049 inch wall thickness. The upper rollbar weighs 2.02 lbs. The upper rollbar slides into two sleeves welded to the frame. The upper rollbar also serves as a mount for high intensity front and rear strobe lights, driving lights and turn signals. I will add carbon fiber reinforcements to critical areas of the frame. I am currently working on the design of an aerodynamic body. The body will be construced of either carbon fiber or aluminum. I plan to add additional safety features including fold down side and rear impact bars and preinflated air bags. The design goal is to survive a 35 mph crash without injury. I attached a photo of the frame. I bent all the tubes to be accurate to within 1/2 degree. I built fixtures to hold all the tubes to accurate locations before welding. The frame is very true and the chassis rolls nicely with little resistance.
Don Gerhardt

Attachments

• IMG_0029 Gerhardt Trike Frame  LH 640x480 5-19-09.jpg
    IMG_0029 Gerhardt Trike Frame LH 640x480 5-19-09.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 1,763
beautiful roll cage frame !!!!

Looking for some one to build one for a sociable tadpole ... maybe like ...

3769612425_602ee067e4_o.jpg

Thanks gerhardt! That is some tube frame! I like the steel as it is much easier to weld. My trike is also steel, ST52 1mm wall and I am thinking about how to put a bar on.
otherDoc

Back