Strong freewheeling crankset

Yeah, a human stood up cranking is a pretty impressive amount of torque.

What happens to these csk units when they are overloaded? Do they just slip or do they gouge the contact surfaces? There is a big difference for me in using a bearing clutch that might slip in some situations vs one that will catastrophically fail requiring replacement the first time I overload it.

Why not use a one way bearing instead of a freewheel type ratchet? Theyre wide so assume able to take off-kilter loading and the clutch mechanism seems fail proof.

https://youtu.be/umZYlF-INjk

Probably not as efficient but a minor loss and people don’t seem to care.

Hummina Shadeeba said:
Why not use a one way bearing instead of a freewheel type ratchet?

We use a 12mm hardened shaft, and those one way bearings, in the RC Helicopters I fly. they take some 14-15kW pretty easy... but at 1200-2300RPM.... They allow an autorotation moment to develop and the mainshaft / head to freewheel, if needed: without power....and ... and..

I think this is why we dons see much of them i bicycle drives but I dont know. I always thought they make very compact strong one way bearings ( in RC and in automatic transmissions and hydro shifting things like a telehandler hydraulic motor internals ) too.

Chalo said:
bearings have to be really big to withstand all the pedal torque a strong rider can develop.

Thanks. I see the full kit but anyone just seen the cranks for sale?
I have seen them around on different bike trials vendor sites.

These are available in 140mm and 160mm and are square taper.

I have seen them around on different bike trials vendor sites.

These are available in 140mm and 160mm and are square taper.

Anything in usa?

Back