Super Deluxe Straight 8

Nice work mate, particularly the leather.

Did you get your throttle issue sorted ? I may have missed it but did you say what type of throttle it is ?
Standard hall type or magura ? You can specify in the kelly programming and if you've not programmed the right type that could be your problem. Also if it's a hall type and you got the wiring wrong there's a good chance you've killed the hall sensor in the throttle. I took out 2 brand new throttles years back when I first started amassing ebike gear and plugged them in to a different type of controller without checking the wiring order. If the loom you have isnt straight forward with the wiring colours (eg like bloody crystalyte controllers that use something like yellow brown and white for the throttle) then measure first with a multimeter. to find your + and - 5v

Hyena said:
Nice work mate, particularly the leather.

Did you get your throttle issue sorted ? I may have missed it but did you say what type of throttle it is ?
Standard hall type or magura ? You can specify in the kelly programming and if you've not programmed the right type that could be your problem. Also if it's a hall type and you got the wiring wrong there's a good chance you've killed the hall sensor in the throttle. I took out 2 brand new throttles years back when I first started amassing ebike gear and plugged them in to a different type of controller without checking the wiring order. If the loom you have isnt straight forward with the wiring colours (eg like bloody crystalyte controllers that use something like yellow brown and white for the throttle) then measure first with a multimeter. to find your + and - 5v

Throttle is not Magura. Hall effect though - and from memory my program setup is set to '3-wire Pot'... best be changing that. Thanks Hyena.

...and if it's leather pants your after, I've got an old pair of Full-Throttles with the crotch cut out somewhere - see if I can dig them up.

pic-twistgrips.jpg

..ok.

Throttle voltage is reading 4.8V - (to the red wire coming out of the throttle). I have a thumb throttle I can test if need be.

Error code on the controller ## #### (2 - 4) - "Throttle error at power up - throttle signal is higher than preset 'dead zone' at power on."

- I understand what this means, but don't know what to test to identify the problem.

=chances are you've just got it wired up wrong ?

disconnect it and check what power you have at the controller end of the connection

there should be -ve, +5v, and then the wire left over which the throttle feeds power down to signal how far you've turned the throttle

throttles can be a bit flakey... each one wired up differently

but try
red to the +5v
black to the -ve
and blue to the other one

if that doesn't work... try every combination there is :(

..looks like throttle was rooted - when voltage was read at the + and signal wires was getting 1.7V on both - error message was short circuit. Does this mean hall sensor is gone?? Tested a thumb throttle (POT type) and voltage readings correct.... 4.8V at the positive. Bypassed the HVC/LVC circuit to get throttle directly into controller to eliminate it...

Throttle works now - just got to get the Hall and Phase combos right... straight colour match doesn't work. Tried a few combos before coming inside to check 'known to work combos'... will start with a known to work one using a Kelly controller and an X5.

...now have tried all 36 hall/phase combinations, and best I could do was a slow, grumbling forward direction...

if a hall sensor in the motor was faulty, would it even move?? Could be a dead hall?? This is not a brand new motor - has been run sensorless previously... (Hyena??)

Willow said:
At this point in time, I would like to thank Hyena for selling me a motor with a dead Hall Sensor.... and not telling me straight up. Thanks Bruv :wink:

could have saved me a whole lot of time, effort and frustration.... now for some more time, effort and money to get it going. Kinda sucks.

Hmm. Did you contact Hyena before posting this? What did he say?

And how did you confirm that you have a dead hall sensor? Did you measure each Hall sensor signal with a LED or voltmeter, while moving the motor and power the Halls with 5V to see if one is indeed dead?

Sorry mate I just saw this and realised I forgot to reply to your PM (read it on my phone then it got buried below others)
To be honest I have no recollection of selling this too you! :oops:
Was it a while ago - around 18 months ? Thats when I was really crook, having chemo etc and my memory of that time is hazy to say the least.
If I suggested a sensorless controller it must have been one of the early V1 crystalytes that had the wiring issues. Surely I would have sold this to you as a sensorless motor at the time if this was the case ? Again I'm sorry I don't remember, I know that's a poor excuse. If you can tell me when it was I'll dig back through my emails and PMs and try and find some info. Not that that that really helps you right now...
If it is a dead hall I'll send you a new one of course but I'd double check the wiring first, chances are it's just a broken/cut hall wire.

V1 indeedy - yeah was a while ago... and has been sitting around waiting for a project. Not a huge drama - seem to remember you saying you had used it, and the first time you did the plastic shield thingy did it's job of mangling the wiring... so you used it sensorless.

Pretty sure it's a gonner - get a voltage reading of around 0.3V - 0.4V when rotating wheel. Have the cover off the motor at the moment, and going to invest in a 3-jaw puller to get it apart. Wiring looks ok... and suspect I wouldn't get a voltage otherwise. I'll double double check the wiring, and PM you with my postal - I'll pay for part and postage etc..

so close.... and so far.

No need to pay for the part and postage, I'll cover it.
If you have the cover off you may not need a puller, just remove the screws from the opposite side cover and sharply whack the axle down on the ground or a block of wood while pushing down on the rim. Thats the quick and ghetto way to get them out.

Otherwise if you need a puller this is probably your cheapest option. I didnt have much luck finding one locally so got mine online
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3-Jaw-Reversible-Gear-Bearing-Bush-Puller-Remover-3-8-1103716103-/200940178037?pt=AU_Hand_Tools&var=&hash=item2ec8f7ca75
(you need the 8" one - $43 delivered )
I'd send you mine down to borrow but but for the cost of shipping back and forth it's only a few bucks more to have your own to keep. And a man can never have too many tools :)

Thanks Jay...

I have ghetto'd a motor apart before - no probs, but I want to take the easy as she goes approach. Tool shop down the road from me has a range of pullers... with a tool and puller ready to serve you. And your right - never have too many tools. I'm pretty much addicted to bikes now... so it won't go to waste. Champ.

...a long wait for hall sensors continues. But I got around to finishing that last bit of sewing on the bag.

...also bought a magura throttle, and some nice squishy magura grips. So much better than those crappy Chinese numbers.
Good to go - but foiled by a $1.00 part.

Trike arrived back home yesterday - after a 4 month separation... arrived in perfect condition, which is a big relief.

...replaced whore sensors and made a few mods to the wiring exiting the motor. All wired up - and it goes...

Though, the Magura throttle isn't working. I have a thumb pot throttle and that works - but when wired to the magura it gives an error - and I think it's giving full power... which may indicate a short, but not sure.... is it possible to frock the pot if it's wired incorrectly???

EDIT : Yep, the potentiometer has an internal short.... something I did??? not so sure, as I had it wired up correctly. Seems that anything that can go wrong - has. Now, see if I can find a replacement pot....

Whilst I wait for a throttle replacement - I put the chain on, tidied up the wiring and took it for it's first ride.... pedaling only. Not real impressed by the cable disc brakes - but will do for now. Couple photos of it's 'finished' state. Looking forward to twisting the throttle.

mm_s.jpg

ll_s.jpg

oo_s.jpg

I'm not much of a fan of chopper style bikes, but this one resonates with me! Awesome job! That leather work brings this bad boy to the next level.
Fantastic work!

...for a bit of fun.

The idea behind this project was to develop a system that could be quickly removed from the bike and carried away for charging, security or alternate use (such as powering a guitar amp!). The shoulder strap doubles as a guitar strap.... hence the reference to the guitar. The 'Retro' branding - is more about the solution, retro-fitting, than the styling.

Retro-Electro.jpg

Back