Super Deluxe Straight 8

Thanks man.

....finally got the cruiser running this weekend. I had some new hall sensors arrive in the mail - thanks Hyena - so I replaced the originals, and motor spun up smooth..... nice.

The Cystalyte motors (HS3540) - must have one of the poorest axle/wire exit designs ever, totally sucks. Had one short ride and had to re-wire the motor because the phase wires had been exposed from a sharp edge/limited space in the axle for the wires - despite my best efforts to ensure this didn't happen. Bike stuttered and I knew immediately what had happened. I reamed out the channel in the axle slightly and re-assembled. Have done my best to make sure the wires won't rub this time....

....would strongly suggest anyone buying one of these motors does not buy one second hand. I give the HS a 3 out of 10 - too many design flaws, but has good power and speed.

Tyres are the Electra 24" x 3.0"

Have put my first 100km on the cruiser. It's just beautiful to ride. Running with the 10s LiIon pack - starts @ 40V.... sits on 40km/h, and has enough torque to lift the front wheel off the ground. Getting around 50km range - but pedaling a lot.... which is what I wanted.

I'm using a 72V 50Amp Kelly - mini BLDC controller - which is delivering peaks in excess of 120amps :shock: No heat issues. So smooooooth.... just great. Have been giving a lot of people a ride - and so far no-one has returned without a grin. Love it. Love it. Love it.

...made it into the Weekend Australian newspaper with the bike - as an entry into this years Australian Innovation Challenge - backyard category. Winner takes home $10,000, and that would come in very handy. The 'innovation' is the 'retro-fit' power module / manbag. I was in the same competition last year with the trike, but was beaten out by a guy who made a tweak to the internal combustion engine...

Bike has also been entered into the International Bike Design Competition - winners announced soon... winners to exhibit in Taiwan next march at the big bike expo. A tough one to win given that there were more than 600 entries last year. Got to try though.

....no luck in the bike design competition. Will be interesting to see what did make it.

I'd be up for getting a team together and putting in an entry for next year.... something killer. Anyone up for it??

Bad luck mate.
No offense to your entry, it's obviously very nicely done and all but it's not exactly a game changing innovation as such. Obviously you didn't sit down and make it with the express intention of entering this comp but no doubt if you DID make something specifically with this in mind you'd do well. Especially putting a few semi-intelligent noggins together.
So that said, and the reason I nominated SEMI-intelligent above, pencil me in :lol:

I dont know what your background is but Sam's an enginner and I'm a scientist so that's probably a good footing to start with :)
I have an ebike related idea I've had kicking around in the back of my head for years that wouldn't be terribly hard to implement, especially with the extra features of the CAV3 now.

Not certain of how the contest works but it sounds similar to the competition that Faraday won in the Oregon Manifest. Couple of interesting articles into what it took to win that one... team effort, designers, fabricators, etc. and they came up with the Faraday Porteur.

Team effort is the way to go!

...we would need to establish some protocol on how the project would be run - who was involved - who did what etc.

I would like to put together an Australian team - theres no reason why we can't have teams from each country - ES members only. Imagine the shit we could come up with.

S.

I was going to be cheeky and suggest an ebike powered backyard brewery ;)

Happy for you to coordinate the show Willow - it's your baby!

Backyard category:
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/innovationchallenge/categories-for-entry/story-fn9dkrp5-1226376993095

Do we want to take this offline into a Google group or something? Hyena can slip into something more comfortable 8)

Didn't the Australian vow to destroy the Greens? Whatever it is, we'd better make it out of whale skin and be sure it runs on at least 16 cylinders...

full-throttle said:
Yeah, why not. Count me in.
What are we designing? :mrgreen:

If nothing else it sounds like the makings of a great joke
"A Tasmanian, a Russian, an Engineer and a Scientist walk into a bar..."
:lol:

Simon have you got a list of what won and placed in previous years ?

if you get onto the International Bike Design competition website - or google that phrase you'll get most of the images of the winning entries.

Theres a student category and a profesional category. This year there were 443 entries (from memory). Categories are varied. biggest prize goes to the best bike.... then theres components and accessories, clothing, infrastructure and more.... anything bike related. Pedelec is the category. There are also other competitions worth keeping an eye out for.

Willow said:
yep - defenitely offline. Looking forward to seeing what he's wearing under the lab coat.

Can we get the Jester involved too.

Yup count me in, just lemme know what ya need ;)

KiM

I'd misunderstood the brief a bit Willow (I think) - is it a bike related project we should conceive? (Ooo err)

Hyena said:

They find a lonely xpat drinking at the bar...

a_pub_in_toronto.jpg

t3sla said:
Hyena said:

They find a lonely xpat drinking at the bar...

a_pub_in_toronto.jpg

I was thinking more like....the Tasmanian, the Engineer, the Russian and the Scientist walk into a bar full of beautiful girls. The Russian orders a few Vodkas to ease the nerves, the engineer calculates the odds and sketches out his approach to the pick-up, the Scientist orders a precise mix of liquors - hoping to replicate his experiments with the promiscuous lab-rats.... whilst the Tasmanian leaves with the women. :wink:

...We have to work on the precise brief - but seeing as this is an ev forum, the plan is to design a 'Pedelec' - and build it... it has to be special.... very special. We want to win.

Have never used a "google group' or whatever.... so can someone set one up? to get the wheel rolling??

Back