Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Allex said:
efMX Trials Electric Freeride said:
hopefully Alex will see this and get to work on it;)

For this we would need to use a wider belt so a total redesign of the belt kit.

Sign me up, I'd buy one!

Speaking of mods, I really, really want to be able to run 4" bicycle fat tires for roughly half the season at least. After taking a good look, the swing arm is actually wide enough for a 4" fatty. The problem of course is there isn't room for the chain.

So it got me wondering, if I used roughly a quarter-inch spacer on the side of the chain with a custom hub that was offset for the spacer, that should do the trick. I'm curious what others think of the idea.

Surron Usa has one piece1mm shims for the jack shaft so you could probably get 3 or 4mm more chain spacing.

Hmm Surron Usa seems to be offline. But I have a lathe so spacers ain't no thang.

Not clear what you are suggesting though. Are you saying just add some spacers?

An other solution would be to move the chain on the outside of the swing arm. If I did that I would use a belt and it would have to be enclosed so it doesn't rip a limb off and would double as keeping the mud out. Obviously quite a bit more work than just offsetting the tire a tad - but would give the maximum clearance possible with the stock swing arm.

Hawaiiguy said:
Space the gears away from the tire with shims behind the gears

And were does the extra room needed come from? Flexing open the swing arm?

3DTOPO said:
There are a couple mm avail to move the chain over towards the swingarm. I fit a SR241 3.50x19 which is ~4.1" wide at the knobs. I know someone else who fit a Michelin Xlite 4.0x18 (but I haven't seen it yet.) I didn't shim my sprockets/chain outwards but I probably will when I pull the jackshaft out for a chain drive conversion.

smdub said:
3DTOPO said:
There are a couple mm avail to move the chain over towards the swingarm. I fit a SR241 3.50x19 which is ~4.1" wide at the knobs. I know someone else who fit a Michelin Xlite 4.0x18 (but I haven't seen it yet.) I didn't shim my sprockets/chain outwards but I probably will when I pull the jackshaft out for a chain drive conversion.

Dope. I think 4.1" would do. Would love to see a pic!

There are some in this thread somewhere.

I'm not seeing any 17" fat tires. Looks like they make them in 20", but not nearly as common as 26".

If I ran a 26" bike fat tire on the back, I suppose I would want a 29" bike fat tire in front? Other than raising the bike a bit, would that mess with the geometry much?

Or would it be much better with a 20" in back and 26" in front? Recommendations appreciated.

Dishing wheels is very common on motorcycles, shouldn't be a problem.

Likewise running a smaller front tire is the norm on motorcycles. A regular 29er would probably work.

Grantmac said:
Dishing wheels is very common on motorcycles, shouldn't be a problem.

Likewise running a smaller front tire is the norm on motorcycles. A regular 29er would probably work.

I'm not familiar with dishing, I'll have to look it up.

I want a fat wheel up front too for snow/mud/sand etc.

3DTOPO said:
Hmm Surron Usa seems to be offline. But I have a lathe so spacers ain't no thang.

Not clear what you are suggesting though. Are you saying just add some spacers?

An other solution would be to move the chain on the outside of the swing arm. If I did that I would use a belt and it would have to be enclosed so it doesn't rip a limb off and would double as keeping the mud out. Obviously quite a bit more work than just offsetting the tire a tad - but would give the maximum clearance possible with the stock swing arm.

Here you go. Kim sent out an email reflecting the website address update.

https://www.surronracingusa.com/

Motomoto wrote:
This place is on the next street from my shop, holy crap.
like a new born babe and not yet listed in
this giggle world;)??? https://ebike.ntc-tech.com
thoroughbred wrote:
Is it an actual shop or a pair of guys in college? https://emotobros.com/downloads

I met the guy the next day. He is a smart young fellow who makes Sur-ron stuff as a hobby, but is the one who makes
the ASI 8000 mounting kits for Litespeed. Beautiful designs and machining from someone new to machining. He is a
software designer and is integrating the regen into the foot brakes he designs and manufacturers.

Had to grab one of those gorgeous disc-guards :bigthumb:

Man I would love to see Sur Ron make something like this buggy:

https://electrek.co/2021/02/06/awesomely-weird-alibaba-ev-of-the-week-40-mph-electric-dune-buggy/.

alibaba_electric_dune_buggy_10.jpg

Could strap my Sur Ron bike on the back, my trusty canine companion beside me, and use the buggy to get to a 'basecamp'.

The one above is $3k, I'm thinking $5k would be a sweet spot with a li-ion battery.

Has anyone tried to power a 12v trolling motor off their Sur-Ron battery before? Thinking about taking the dinghy out this summer and tired of carrying lead acid batteries.

Friends. I am currently pouring through this 215 page thread to learn everything I can about Sur Ron bikes which I hope to buy and ride. Unfortunately I cannot find one to purchase right now. Luna says 2-3 months and pre order not even open yet.

Do any of you have a line on where to buy today or soon?

I apologize for asking for something in my first post here. Please feel free to DM a response.

Thank you and happy trails!

They are sold under the name Segway (even at Walmart but it is the low voltage model).

Back