T/S Meanwell HRP-300-24

I've seen little sockets used with fuses like that. If they keep blowing, the socket is handy. Inrush should not be blowing the fuse, but more likely something downstream.

If the main switching FET blows, it frequently takes out the switching controller chip. When they get to that stage, I usually scrap it and just buy a new one.

Those things shouldn't be blowing up that often. You might be running them too hard. I run my 400W supply at around 300W just to keep the heat down and make things last longer.

Ordered some 36V2A chargers from usa and china.
Also purchased some mw clones from Arlen68 on ebay.
Yesterday I was on the hunt for $3 laptop chargers at thrift stores but there were non.
Online classifieds always has them for $15+
Ypedal did a great youtube video on his charger, charging battery pack to 100V using two laptop chargers and a psu.

Sockets for fuses
Oh that is great advice, thanks for that.

I was confused on inrush, I just saw the transformer and coils and as usual made a wrong assumption. :oops:
Motors, power converters and I see transformers on wiki, but the one in my mws are small, and its tapped a few times.

Not many fets in these MW's, you scrap it because its too much tedious work extracting fet, and replacing or just more components beyond the fet can be bad as well?

I agree, the mw's shouldnt be breaking, its just very silly errors on my part.
I purchased 3 mw's three or so years ago
they have survived lots of drops from about bicycle seat height, they kept on working!
The main issue is using the stock bolt down terminals.

If I get these working again or buy another set then the solution is soldering them directly onto the vertical mount with threaded hole. Protecting the terminals but still allowing air flow using pieces of plastic that are a bit longer, extend past the plastic housing of the terminals. With two in series I would slip a small piece in behind, and still use insulated 10awg wiring from hd/lowes/rona.
A current and voltage meter on the charger itself, integrated somehow.

I would love an adjustable unit from 35V to a max of 41.5V so I dont have to worry.

fechter said:

If just the FET blows, then it isn't too hard to fix. If the switching controller chip blows with it, I usually bag it just because it's too much work and there may be yet other parts that are damaged.

Back