Taking a chance on Alibaba (K Power battery)

Funny though, needing to shave $300 from the battery purchase, so I'm enabled to not drive the car that eats all my cash. But that was always the plan, buy the car nearly new, and when it is paid for, it's still in nearly new condition.

Yes, driving can be expensive. When I have private automobile insurance, rather then provincial (for us Canadians eh!), we always pay higher. Plus they put in their own rules and surcharges on violations. I had a 98 Blazer, was dropping $10-$15/day just on fuel. My insurance came to $95/month, after a long delay without insurance or car so I was considered a new driver, event though I have been driving since I was 14. Thats private auto insurance.

I priced out some 18650 cells, and I was stunned to realize, for a 72V and whatever nominal Ah your cells are, it comes to around $70-$75 +s/h.
So 72V 2.2Ah 25r, or 2.9Ah 29e. Etc. is $75. Shipped would be like $40 from Europe, whether its 2-3Ah, or 15Ah. Best to save your greenbacks or loonies and buy everything at once. Sorry to see that guys place light up like that, the story of Lipos. I had a single cell, a123 heat up and not stop. Punctured side of can. Didnt realize the can itself is grounded to the negative cathode. Got to be real careful no matter what and know what you are doing.

he's advising you not to build a battery and go buy one you'll be a lot safer and save money having a better chance of having a working battery.

Lots in bags too including most phones and thin laptops.

Perhaps a license should be required to buy cells. People who think they can buy a "safer" cell and make a battery don't get the whole risk. There are many, many risks in a battery pack, not just the cells. "Dangerous" cells are employed in safe systems all the time, the system has to be taken as a whole. Lithium is dangerous, period. Don't think otherwise.

mark you're going fishing with a graphite rod at the top of the mountain in a thunder storm for catfish, Catfish don't live on top of the mountain and get some shoes on OK it's a thunder storm.

Heh heh, back on topic, battery self discharged overnight to 54.4v. Looks like this is what it's going to typically do. I can certainly live with that. Holding 4.18v per cell if it's balanced.

Soon I'll be opening up the thing to see how it's spot weld look, at least for one cell. At that point, I'll add jst plugs to monitor by the cell easily.

I think I'll also add some wires to the bms, so I can parallel it with my allcell, and run a big motor when I want that way. Disconnect to charge, but able to run a 40 amps controller then on my big cargo bike.

Not sure when I'll get around to a ride long enough to do a full discharge, going kayaking today since they will shut off the river for the year very soon.

Sorry Dan. But Mark is scaring me thinking how he will invent a new way of building a battery. Potential stored energy. Or lighting in a box. Not a toy.

LOL @ Invent a new way of building a battery, where did I type that?
Im just cheap lately, this Alibaba purchase is interesting, its up my alley, as its cheap. Who knows how long it will last, but we will see.
Hopefully Dan can keep this thread updated over time.

Actually, time to end this one and start a proper review thread. In the reviews section.

Main questions this thread asked are answered, it came, it was shipped illegal, I didn't have to assemble each can, and it can pull 1c ok. (as opposed to other laptop cells best limited to ,3c)

Will you be posting your K-Power battery review in the "E-Bike Reviews & Testing" forum?
Your Aliexpress link to the battery is not working for me. Can you repost the link or give me the exact description so I can search for it?
Thanks

Might have miss read but I do not find any info of what cells were used in the pack?

Proper review thread in the reviews section here.

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=71499&p=1079439#p1079439

No name cells inside. I just realized I did not buy the battery I intended to buy, which was supposed to have Samsung cells.

What I actually bought. That link might work a few days.

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/High-Power-48V-20AH-Lithium-Ion-Electric-bike-Battery-with-BMS-Charger-Electric-Bicycle-1500W-battery/1714144_32346223962.html

I've told you not to buy, but hey, you just had to :roll:

Now lets see how long will these shit cells last. Saddest part is that even original samsung cells with relatively high discharge (22P model) are really cheap, and they didn't even used those. That's really sad. So it's not worth the money, even 400$, because shipping is worthless, and cells are near that.

I didn't get the Samsung pack, because I messed up and bought another type. Not their fault, mine.

So you were going to send me another $400 so I could afford a pack from Paul?

What part of no money do you fail to understand?

dogman dan said:
I didn't get the Samsung pack, because I messed up and bought another type. Not their fault, mine.

So you were going to send me another $400 so I could afford a pack from Paul?

What part of no money do you fail to understand?

We'll see what will be cheaper in long run 8)

Best option would be to assemble the pack by yourself since cells are super cheap these days. Also there are lunacycles... There are options, you picked bad one.

We'll see what will be cheaper in long run

A lot of people post their successes to get attention, but...few post their mistakes so that others can learn from them. Which is more noble? dogmans post may have saved several dozen lurkers from making the same mistake. People who will never thank him for simply taking the time to spell out a big pothole in the road of life, and answering the same boring newbie questions day after day, with patience and respect.

I am sure you are probably a nice person, but sometimes a written post on the internet doesnt convey any subtlety, and it can sometimes sound in a way that you don't intend. Like something that lacks patience and respect.

My intention is only to be realistic and try to help other, even if it has negative tone. When loosing money comes into play we can't afford to risk and sugarcoat facts. I might sound condescending, but I knew from the start that this isn't going to work out well, I have some experience with this stuff and I've only tried to help.I appreciate dogman's efforts for the comunity, but this probably wasn't necessary.

I'm sorry if I've made anyone mad or something, it wasn't my intention. Sometimes it's hard to describe your tone on the forum :)

I get the feeling English is not your native language, because from what I read, Dogman Dan got exactly what he was expecting.

$400, including shipping, if that battery can last a few years or 500 cycles, you got a good deal.

I'm sure you could a got a much better battery, but $800-1000 is a whole new level of battery budget, and a whole new list of expectations and demands.

IAN

imorton said:
I get the feeling English is not your native language, because from what I read, Dogman Dan got exactly what he was expecting.

$400, including shipping, if that battery can last a few years or 500 cycles, you got a good deal.

I'm sure you could a got a much better battery, but $802,000 is a whole new budget, and a whole new list of expectations and demands.

IAN

It's not my native language, but don't worry, I understand everything written here.

You might think that 400 is a good deal, but, there are two problems. Firstly, there is a good chance that he wouldn't even had received the battery, due to illegal shipping, especially if he lived in EU (happened to me, so I know what I'm talking about very well, I've barely got my money through paypal complaint, you really don't want to risk something like that).
Secondly, I'm sure that no name cells wont last 500 cycles, but we'll have to see about that, good thing about this is that dogman is active on forum so I'm sure that he'll tells us how is pack going to behave after some time.

Patience grasshopper as 2yr for 500 cycles. But 3 years and 700 cycles would make it golden. Problem with 700 cycles is human error. Whoops more tough love. Sorry Dan. At lease you are getting some. Gets hard to be human.

Back