Tesla carbon wrap rotor teardown

800px-Red_Star_of_David.svg.png

So they went with this design huh?

Interesting... very interesting...

3pole pairs or 6 N/S poles. 8 poles would have excessive electrical frequency core losses at >200mph, but 4 pole pairs gets heavier and more difficult to distribute flux to the edges, and torque ripple increases. That spoked hub structural topology is similar to the Zero IPM rotor structure, but scaled to match the 6 pole design.

They did a great job with the IPM segments not having shorted linking iron through the use of the carbon shell.

Im so grateful to be powered by three of these fine motor rotors on every driving trip I make.

The shape of the rotor on the Tesla one is heavily optimised to have large flux paths (low magnetic resistance, high inductance) 90 electrical degrees to the permanent magnets flux paths. This makes it able to generate a lot of reluctance torque and be more effective in the field weakening regime.

The triangles cut out making it look somewhat star like are there to reduce the flux path through the magnets to the complimentary pole and back out to the stator. Effectively, this improves the LdLq ratio.

It's a lovely design. The not carbon wrapped concept has been around for a while though/ and carbon wrapping of rotors was being fling around when I was at uni in 2006...

PMSM-olauqbjcto1upcwzotie6paqrq0lnm9svbv20wlt4k.jpg

The zero motor although superficially spoked, does not appear to have anything like the same magnetic circuit intention. It appears at first glance that the zero motor is optimising torque production vs weight, whereas the Tesla one is optimising more for extended speed operation. Both valid goals in their respective application.

Attachments

• 2017_zero-powertrains_rotor_1920x1280_rgbs.jpg
    2017_zero-powertrains_rotor_1920x1280_rgbs.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 691
liveforphysics said:
3pole pairs or 6 N/S poles. 8 poles would have excessive electrical frequency core losses at >200mph, but 4 pole pairs gets heavier and more difficult to distribute flux to the edges, and torque ripple increases. That spoked hub structural topology is similar to the Zero IPM rotor structure, but scaled to match the 6 pole design.

They did a great job with the IPM segments not having shorted linking iron through the use of the carbon shell.

Im so grateful to be powered by three of these fine motor rotors on every driving trip I make.

:mrgreen: Took a peek at this vid for a bit of one going its paces on track. WOW. Sweet ride my friend!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ujp3q_aryRA

Back