The death of Peak Oil = The death of green energy?

arkmundi said:
And here I've been wearing my "We are the 99%" badge when all along I'm part of the 1%, an environmentalist who gave up the use of a car so as to have a zero carbon footprint. :lol:

LOL, hey, right on man 8)
You're far closer to zero than most.

torqueon said:
I read these kinds of threads, often here on ES . It upsets me in the worst way. As I have no answers and or suggestion.
My bike is not going to haul all my tools, nor to home depot, to buy all the inporteed crap, that will make my repair fail in do time!! I hate this Shit !!
I am Crying !!

Aw man, right there with you on all fronts. I am 30 and the situation with oil has bugged me since i was 20. That's a good portion of my life spent being pissed off about something :lol:

I'm sure most of us are 'there' to a degree.

torqueon said:
I read these kinds of threads, often here on ES . It upsets me in the worst way. As I have no answers and or suggestion.
My bike is not going to haul all my tools, nor to home depot, to buy all the inporteed crap, that will make my repair fail in do time!! I hate this Shit !!
I am Crying !!

An ebike can haul a lot more than you think with a good trailer.

Attachments

• plywood.jpg
    plywood.jpg
    287.4 KB · Views: 3,536
Veloman! OMG! So Wild.

I generally watch little tv, but have you ever seen haulin house on HGTV? Here is the descriptor from their website:
Homes literally hang in the balance in this epic quest, as houses are ripped apart in order to be saved by moving them across the street or clear across the city. Intrepid movers hoist the house onto flatbed trucks, barges and other gigantic moving machinery, then navigate bridges and tight turns with military precision and heart-stopping action as they tackle extreme weather, steep landscapes and escalating costs. When it's time for a change of address, Haulin' House gives "just pick up and move" a whole new meaning!

It is basically a whole show about coming within inches or Newton Meters of destruction. Every turn is about people just stopping and watching as the house just misses being destroyed...Probably like the entire ride home for you. Your little excursion is a ride I would have loved to have had a camera taping. I would say that this is a special form of ev grin.

I have a trailer I was going to show off some day just for this purpose, but it is decidedly less ballsy. An extendable infants crib with four J shapes welded low and outside of the wheel base angled so that plywood, sheetrock, etc. can be leaned together and tied off. Whoopdeedoo, now.

Oh, and green energy will win. Just keep watching the same things and don't look outside.

Straight from the 0's mouth.

"There's no doubt that for us to take on climate change in a serious way would involve making some tough political choices," said the president. "And understandably, I think the American people right now have been so focused, and will continue to be focused on our economy and jobs and growth, that if the message is somehow we're going to ignore jobs and growth simply to address climate change, I don't think anybody is going to go for that. I won't go for that."

I was kinda expecting this. So many of our presidents talk it all up, until they are in office. I'm sure plenty of people supported the "0", because they believed he would tilting at these GW windmills. Now that he's in his second term, he's gone all conservative on them, stabbed them in the back.

What next, some good ole opening up areas to drilling, OK the Keystone pipeline, freeing us Americans to do what we do best, burn baby burn and get the economy humming again. I doubt the "0" wants to leave a legacy of high unemployment and a crappy economy in his wake.

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/the-exchange/u-punts-climate-change-action-again

veloman said:
torqueon said:
I am Crying !!

Are you crazy, going down the road with that wide of a load. Were talking Death Wish here. That is why Home Depot loans out trucks. Don't be so cheap, it could save you a from nasty crash.

deronmoped said:
veloman said:
torqueon said:
I am Crying !!

Are you crazy, going down the road with that wide of a load. Were talking Death Wish here. That is why Home Depot loans out trucks. Don't be so cheap, it could save you a from nasty crash.

It was quite stable, with the weight so low. The only bad thing about what I did was that my trailer actually sucks. Look up proper bike cargo trailers. I need to build one of those.

veloman said:
It was quite stable, with the weight so low. The only bad thing about what I did was that my trailer actually sucks. Look up proper bike cargo trailers. I need to build one of those.
What's crazy is that we hope to keep the whole fossil-fueled game going, continuing to build up suburbia and home depot, etc. I applaud those attempting to innovate both housing and transportation futures that have a chance.

"It was quite stable, with the weight so low. The only bad thing about what I did was that my trailer actually sucks. Look up proper bike cargo trailers. I need to build one of those."

Being stable was the last thing I would worry about.

It's the other traffic on the road your attempting to go down that I would worry about. Heck, with the way you had the 4X8 sheets orientated, another bicyclist would have a hard time figuring out a way around you.

deronmoped said:
"It was quite stable, with the weight so low. The only bad thing about what I did was that my trailer actually sucks. Look up proper bike cargo trailers. I need to build one of those."

It's the other traffic on the road your attempting to go down that I would worry about. Heck, with the way you had the 4X8 sheets orientated, another bicyclist would have a hard time figuring out a way around you.

I wouldn't have attempted it if my route home wasn't on quiet side streets. I didn't hold anyone up. What is so hard about pulling a few more feet to the side to pass? I was going normal bike speeds around 15-20mph.

veloman said:
deronmoped said:

I wouldn't have attempted it if my route home wasn't on quiet side streets. I didn't hold anyone up. What is so hard about pulling a few more feet to the side to pass? I was going normal bike speeds around 15-20mph.

I know basically what you were doing with your cargo bike/trailer. I do it all the time on my mopeds. That is, take chances. I go to a lot of yard sales and buy things that I should be hauling home in a truck. Yet, I convince myself that it's only a few blocks or a mile or so and off I go with a clumsily load. I haven't taken it to the extent you have, but I know that all I need is a happenstance and I would be laid out on the road.

You listen to the stories on here of people getting laid out by no fault of their own and it soon makes you realize, that, being on bike, let alone without carrying a awkward load, your number just hasn't come up yet.

You're right it's more risky. I've carried recumbent bikes on the back on my ebike. No doubt it's more dangerous.

It's still fun to do once in a while.

As chief economist for the Paris-based International Energy Agency, Fatih Birol helps shape energy policies worldwide. He recently guided the publication of the agency’s World Energy Outlook, which predicts the United States will soon become the world’s largest oil producer. While in Cambridge recently to speak at MIT, he sat down with Globe reporter Erin Ailworth.
Renewable energies are just going through very difficult times. Ten years in a row, global renewable energy investments were increasing and this year, for the first time, we expect a decline. In many countries, renewable subsidies are being reduced, which is not good news.
US on path to being top oil producer
I suddenly find myself believing this thread's title as an emerging and predominate trend. :cry:

If you Understand the real picture, you will find that US oil includes all oil purchased under NAFTA, as domestic oil. This includes Mexico and the Canadian Tar Sands. Being the largest producer is of questionable value, if you continue to use much more than you produce. The military cost of raping the world for energy will continue to cripple the economy.

arkmundi said:
As chief economist for the Paris-based International Energy Agency, Fatih Birol helps shape energy policies worldwide. He recently guided the publication of the agency’s World Energy Outlook, which predicts the United States will soon become the world’s largest oil producer. While in Cambridge recently to speak at MIT, he sat down with Globe reporter Erin Ailworth.
Renewable energies are just going through very difficult times. Ten years in a row, global renewable energy investments were increasing and this year, for the first time, we expect a decline. In many countries, renewable subsidies are being reduced, which is not good news.
I suddenly find myself believing this thread's title as an emerging and predominate trend. :cry:

arkmundi said:

Well, here in Utah we are going to see America's first tar sands / shale oil project very soon.

Utah_Oil_Shale_and_Tar_Sands_Deposits.gif

The only positive thing i have to say about it, is that maybe the oil wars will die down.. the negative is that water supplies are going to become a problem eventually and pollution will rise.

I also had an awful encounter while paying my gas bill. The administration office for the power company is right across the street from what claims to be power plant. It's the middle of winter and about 22f outside, and the thing was blowing no steam/smoke, so i asked if that was really the power plant, and the answer was yes; it's a gasoline power plant, and that's what powers the city.

I felt a bit like this when i found out that my electric bikes were really running off of gasoline:

soylent.jpg

neptronix said:
I felt a bit like this when i found out that my electric bikes were really running off of gasoline:

soylent.jpg

Time to start working on home wind and solar projects!

Where I am, the power company offers a renewable energy option. My gf uses it, I may consider it at my house. Here it is:

"When you subscribe to GreenChoice, the current fuel charge (currently 3.105 cents per kWh) is replaced with the GreenChoice charge of 5.7 cents per kWh on your bill."

So it's 2.6 cents per kwh more expensive.

deronmoped said:
I know basically what you were doing with your cargo bike/trailer. I do it all the time on my mopeds. That is, take chances.

veloman said:
You're right it's more risky. I've carried recumbent bikes on the back on my ebike. No doubt it's more dangerous.
It's still fun to do once in a while.

Much of the world knows all this as ROUTINE. Even in places with more traffic in the city than we have in nearly all cities here, to say nothing of how much it goes out outside.

Oh, wasn't I quite the transporter with the bike when I was growing up.

Veloman - I am all for it. I didn't mean anything bad with the Persian scythed chariot. Of course, you knew that the deronmopeds of the world would look at your rig and see the chariot of Gaugamala. But, hey, people need to think. Accepting that people should be able to zone out in their cars...that I am not a fan of. Accepting that people make ends meet to get the things they need from point A to B, when in history has this been a problem? I mean endangering others is not cool, and I highly doubt that you did or would. But drivers run the gamut from great to idiotic. I would love to have made that ride, but I just don't put my safety in the confidence of others' competence...I might have put a flasher on the top of the load. A couple bucks, and then...hey, what is your problem? I am man getting things from point A to B and trying to do it safely. And...Who exactly are you in history?

Here is another interesting observation about coming into all this cheap abundant energy from fracking.

Seems the USofA's carbon emissions have plummeted to 1991 levels. Mostly do to coal burning plants switching to natural gas as a energy source. Coal used to produce almost 50% of the electricity the US uses, now it's down to 34%.

I'm also speculating that with the economy being in such a huge mess and the Fed printing us into oblivion, that this cheap energy we will be tapping into, will rescue us. They speculate that we are sitting on 100 years of supply, so maybe by then they will have come up with alternative energy solutions that are cheaper.

Funny on how things work. No carbon tax, no Kyoto Treaty, just good ole American technology. :D

Hm, i'm not sure about us being back to 1991 levels, but our output has been lower lately due to the electric power generation switch, and the worst economic slump since the great depression. China overtook us to be #1 in emissions what, 5 years ago?

FYI, here is a breakdown of the various pollutants that come out of gasoline, coal, natural gas, etc when utilized in power generation. Coal is the clear loser here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fossil-fuel_power_station#Environmental_impacts

deronmoped said:
this cheap energy we will be tapping into, will rescue us. They speculate that we are sitting on 100 years of supply. . . .

Rescue? Or create an extension ladder that allows us to dig a deeper and deeper hole up to the moment when. . . .

100 years supply at current useage. Double useage and it's a 50 year supply. 10x useage is a 10 year supply. I'll sell 10x as much gas at 2x the price so I get rich for 10 years, hopefully I save enough to live on after wells are empty. . . .

picture161.png

Okay, i seriously laughed out loud at that one. Thanks Dauntless!

deronmoped said:
They speculate that we are sitting on 100 years of supply, so maybe by then they will have come up with alternative energy solutions that are cheaper. Funny on how things work. No carbon tax, no Kyoto Treaty, just good ole American technology. :D
I'd agree that the free enterprise solution seems to be reducing our nation's collective carbon footprint. That while countries like China, ostensibly highly committed to solar & wind, is increasing their''s. So much so that they are considered number one in carbon emissions. But, for your information, alternative energy solutions like wind are cost competitive in today's energy market. Let's not forget that Jim Gordon, the purveyor of Cape Wind, which will be the Nation's first off-shore wind farm, had a first career in converting large coal fired generators to natural gas. He is successfully proving the cost efficacy of wind. Even with the unnecessary costs of litigation added in as he fights off all opposition. Massachusetts will soon be the beneficiary of this clean energy. :mrgreen:

arkmundi said:
deronmoped said:
They speculate that we are sitting on 100 years of supply, so maybe by then they will have come up with alternative energy solutions that are cheaper. Funny on how things work. No carbon tax, no Kyoto Treaty, just good ole American technology. :D
I'd agree that the free enterprise solution seems to be reducing our nation's collective carbon footprint. That while countries like China, ostensibly highly committed to solar & wind, is increasing their''s. So much so that they are considered number one in carbon emissions. But, for your information, alternative energy solutions like wind are cost competitive in today's energy market. Let's not forget that Jim Gordon, the purveyor of Cape Wind, which will be the Nation's first off-shore wind farm, had a first career in converting large coal fired generators to natural gas. He is successfully proving the cost efficacy of wind. Even with the unnecessary costs of litigation added in as he fights off all opposition. Massachusetts will soon be the beneficiary of this clean energy. :mrgreen:

How do you figure, that alternative energy like wind is cost competitive?

Wind energy is worthless on it's own. With wind energy you need two generating stations. The actual generating plant and the windmill. So for wind generation your building twice the capacity at twice the expense.

Another problem is, wind energy is not local to the load. Most generation is done as close to the load as they can, so as to avoid line losses. Almost all wind energy requires costly and inefficient power lines.

Regular generating stations run most efficient at close to their peak loads, 24 hours a day. So you have a costly generating system sitting idle or close to idle part of the time.

Plus, with wind, you have your generators spread all over the country side. Not so with a regular generating plant. That is where economies of scale favor the regular generating station.

And, wind (plus all the other "green" alternatives") is just beginning to see opposition from the environmental wacko's. Wait till they realize what these suppose-ably green alternatives are doing to their precious back-country. With the old generation, the plant had a very small footprint, with the alternatives, the footprints are going to be all over creation.

Back