Throttle Behavior

Nice. Be real careful to get the right wires going to the right spot when you hook it up.

I thought about getting a mating pair of JST connectors that match the ones on the PAS sensor so the circuit could just plug in and only need one spliced connection for the throttle signal.

I noticed with mine if I try really hard to hold the throttle right at the trigger point I can feel a little surging, but this happens at low power so is hard to notice. Having the throttle take over whenever you hit it works very well and if I go to PAS level 0 it works like just a normal throttle (good for off road).

I found the bare connector shells and contacts and purchased a few sets of those - they were *very* inexpensive... I got ten sets for under $1 per set. Let me know if you want the part numbers - I checked them on the BBSHD controller I have laying around and they are great.

It's my intention to have it electrically just plug in between the cadence sensor plugs and then the only wire that will need to be accessed and connected to is the throttle. I may have it physically located closer to the cable input penetration since that looks like the best place to get at the throttle signal wire and since there will be a dugout in the potting there it may fit better there.

I'm really looking forward to this.

Initially when I installed the BBSHD I just shrugged and thought to myself... this is how they work... just get used to it.... and I did...

But then I did the evil change of programming throttle-only operation and.... wow! Sooooo much better off-road or anytime conditions are varying a lot. But it sucks not having PAS anymore. For cruising and longer rides it's the way to go. I tried making the throttle no-return with friction but that's a very poor substitute... So I spoiled myself and now *need* this fix LOL...

I would be interested in a couple circuits if someone offered them with those connectors to be "plug and play". I realize I'd still need to splice into the throttle wire, but wouldn't one of those little blue plastic wire taps work for that? A Scotchlok™ Wire Tap?

Today was my second day with my new BBSHD, and I wasn't too impressed with the PAS. It would usually get ahead of me, and it was like I was staring at my display and changing PAS modes more than watching the road or the scenery around me. I unplugged my PAS earlier this afternoon, and it's night and day better. It was my first time ever riding any PAS anything, and I didn't like it. Now, if I could keep it on a low level and use throttle with it (at the same time) I might like it a lot more... this fix solution is on my bucket list.

The wire is very small - 26AWG. I don't think those type of connectors will work well that small but if you find something please let me know because this is a time I'd really and truly like to be wrong!!!

It's pretty easy to solder into. The hardest part is getting at it under the potting but even that's pretty easy.

I've torn into three controllers so far and by the time I got to the third I've got it down. I dig out the potting right where the wires come into the controller, just enough that I can push the wires into the grommet enough to pull the grommet out and then I dig the potting out to the point of the edge of the controller PCB and that's enough to be able to strip away more insulation from the main connector cable and get at the throttle wire. I use a spudger to do the digging and it only takes a couple of minutes.

I put the little circuit in the cavity left from digging it out - this is number two, the third was much cleaner:

i-kMqc5qz-L.jpg

Then electronic grade RTV to seal everything back up.

I ended up building several of the little protoboards - I bought enough for ten including the PAS connectors... PM me if you want one and we can probably work something out...

i-LWb2wsc-L.jpg

You do clean work! I am very interested in fixing my BBSHD as you have done. PM inbound! Thanks for posting the picture too, I need all the help I can get.

Back