Tonaro User group

rroland said:
I've just ordered one of the Speedict devices. I want to use it in the throttle mode.
Therefore I have ordered the Mercury and the throttle cables.
Danny at Speedict is very helpful and has sent me the connection info for the Tonaro.

Did you get the Speedict yet?
I probably bricked mine while still on my desk by upgrading the FW. It should not be possible with the 1.0.6 client according to Danny but it happened anyway. So be careful....
I never even got to mount it on the bike....

/Anders

Tommes - that's a useful German thread you linked to. I have the older style gearbox and have put a granny chainwheel 24t on it but haven't got round to fitting a front derailleur so I have to stop and manually change the chain over - not a major pain as I have a small 34t main chainwheel which does most hills round where I live. Did you do the same as the guy in the link? I'm no engineer but presumably drilling and tapping can't be that difficult - or did you just bolt it on? How did you allow enough room for adjusting the position of the FD? What model FD did you use or recommend?
I managed to get 2 spare final helical gears with the bearing in from Javy in China but do you know if you can get the gear in Europe (the bearings I can get but the gear I couldn't find)?
Thanks.

Alban - as I wrote the front derailleur is my next project. I have the parts but I have not started building it. Otherwise as Peter in the german forum I will take the "french way" of mounting the front derailleur: click. See attached images too.

alban said:
I managed to get 2 spare final helical gears
Sorry, I am not shure what you mean. Please give my a link to the Javy part, so that I exactly know it (and can perhaps check availabitlity in Europy for you).

Attachments

• Umwerfer-Halterung.JPG
    Umwerfer-Halterung.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 4,539
  • Umwerfer11.JPG
    Umwerfer11.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 4,540
Hi Tommes,
Thanks. The helical gear I was talking about is this one with the bearing (I can get) in the middle:
P1020373.jpg
It's the first gear you get to when dismantling the gearbox and the thing that broke first too - so presumably it's the weakest link. As I say I got a couple of spares from CATIC (and 2 'umbrella' gears) in China but expensive.

Alban, you should please concretize the part you mean. Please draw a an arrow in your picture, this would be the best.
First answers in the german forum are about the bearings and the freewheel.

Great Tommes, thanks for your trouble. This is the part I'm looking for in Europe.
HelicalgearTonarominusbearing_zps6ed88a8f.jpg
It fractured too when the bearing broke. I'd post in the German forum but I'm not as well educated as you guys and don't speak other languages so well!

Alan, no trouble at all - this is our hobby :mrgreen:
Please try to get your part by the german importer: Betronic. Don´t be irritated that they sell IT-Hardware too. They have an repair shop for the Rolektro E-bikes and know their business. Feel free to ask them in english language - should by no problem in my opinion.

Just an update on the Speedict Mercury installation...

I got one, tried to update the FW on it - It got bricked.
Danny at Speedict sent me two new Mercurys and I installed one in the bike. No sensors connected.
I had all kinds of strange Bluetooth related issues where I mainly couldn't download trip records from the Mercury.
All of a sudden Bluetooth died on it.
I installed the other one, a Lite version only 45V max, and all was good... For a while.
Then sync issues started again. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.
I tried another phone (HTC Sensation, Android 4.0.3) and that seems to have solved it. After some experiments with my phone (HTC Desire, Android 2.3) it seems that there is a bluetooth range problem but I'm not sure yet. Some more testing needs to be done.

During this Danny at Speedict has been a great guy offering excellent support, Thanks for that!

To get the sensors hooked up I ordered a crimper for JST SM connectors and some spare ones from Hong Kong and as soon as I get these I'll get to work...

Some fun.... It seems that the Tonaro actually uses up to 600W stock, not 250 as stated on the motor :)

/Anders

Well, the installation of the Speedict Mercury goes forward... I got my crimper the other day and decided to try connecting the stock speedometer sensor on the Tonaro to the Speedict - works well.
However, the cable from the speedometer has a 2 pin JST SM connector and the Mercury comes with 3 pin JST SM connectors.
Since I wanted to keep the cable intact I ordered 2 pin JST SM connectors from Ebay.
The crimper was excellent, I had thought that I would need several attempts before getting it right but it really worked well the first time.

If anybody needs them, here's what I bought.

Crimping tool
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111012037450?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

2 pin JST SM connectors
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111014646512?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

3 pin JST SM connectors
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170990834024?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Speedict mercury took about a month to turn up.
I was to have Ver. 1.03 but had Ver. 1.02 when it turned up.
Had a couple of issues with the unit (getting sensible info mainly)using Throttle setup.
Danny had me try Multi-sense and send report. This I did.
Now he required it Back: This I did.

What it did is when in:
Live View
Mode to multi-sense
GPS Speed Reading on each Time about ½ actual speed Set to Km/h( Probably Correct for Knots)
Speed No reading even when connected (Reading in the Report)
Voltage Reading 0.04 each time (would expect Variations from 40 – 30 Volts)
Temperature Reading Correct When Connected

It’s been a week and nothing heard.
Speedict Mercury Log 02/27/13 08:57

Speedict Mercury Setting
Firmware Version = 1.0.3
Hardware ID =
Odometer = 0
TotalMAH = 0
UnitDistance = 0
UnitTemperature = 0
TyreValue = 2030
GovEnable = false
GovSpeed = false
GovVoltage = true
GovCurrent = false
GovTemperature = true
GovWatt = false
GovSpeedValue = 250
GovVoltageValue = 2000
GovCurrentValue = 1000
GovTemperatureValue = 500
GovWattValue = 720
GovAlert = 0
ModeType = 0
PASPointCount = 5
PASPowerLevel = 100
PASMatchValue = 60
ThrottleRangeOver = 0
ThrottleRangeLow = 250
ThrottleRangeHigh = 10
ThrottleMode = 1
ThrottleSpeedValue = 250
ThrottleSpeedGain = 80
ThrottleSpeedTimeGain = 100
ThrottleCurentValue = 1000
ThrottleCurrentGain = 100
ThrottleCurrentTimeGain = 100
Lock Flat = 0
Lock Status = 0
Lock Password =
StartFlat = 1
StartGain = -56
StartTimeGain = 50
Setting end ====
Speed Temp Not Not
Connected Connected
Mag on
Wheel
Port1 Port2 Port3 Port4 Current
0 21.5 0 N/A -2.9
0 21.5 0 N/A -2.9
0 21.4 0 N/A -2.9
0 21.4 0 N/A -2.9
0 21.5 0 N/A -2.89
0 21.5 0 N/A -2.89
0 21.5 0 N/A 5.35
0 21.5 0 N/A 5.35
0 21.5 0 N/A 11.97
0 21.5 0 N/A 11.97
7.7 21.5 0 N/A 12.27
7.7 21.5 0 N/A 12.27
9.5 21.5 0 N/A -2.75
9.5 21.5 0 N/A -2.75
10.3 21.5 0 N/A 11.6
10.3 21.5 0 N/A 11.6
12.3 21.5 0 N/A 11.86
12.3 21.5 0 N/A 11.86
15.8 21.5 0 N/A 12.11
17.8 21.5 0 N/A 9.14
17.8 21.5 0 N/A 9.14
20.7 21.5 0 N/A 6.27
20.7 21.5 0 N/A 6.27
22.1 21.5 0 N/A 4.1

Hi Guys,

I just bought a Zoco Rossa over here in Aussieland. I have had it a couple of weeks and I am a bit disappointed with it in its standard guise.It is a bit of a "slug" compared with my Aprilia Enjoy which has been modified for the past year or more.On the Aprilia I got rid of all the PAS restricting sensors and got a throttle, new chinese controller and shot the 24 volt NMH battery and replaced them with 29.6 volt lipos. The bike is now a little rocket.
I am going to use the Zoco Rossa in its standard form for a while before I start on it as well.I like the sound of just starting by replacing the standard battery box with the 4 x 6s Turnigy lipos that someone else on here did. That sounds like a good place to start anyways.My bike came with the Nu Vinci hub (I like it) and the chain tensioner.It didn't have a throttle so I got one and put that on.The only advantage of that is that you can start from a complete stop and move off immediately without having to rotate the wheels twice before the power cuts in.I find that decidedly dangerous when crossing an intersection!
I removed the magnetic limiter off the rear wheel as well.
Can someone tell me whether the change over to the Inferon controller and/or the 44.4 volt lipos has made much difference to the performance of the Zoco Rossa/Tonaro ? I think I read somewhere that the Aprilia really came to life with the mods but the zoco/ Tonaro not so much.

Cheers,
Tony.

IMHO you should go for it Tony, the Tonaro responds well to 44v lipo and is easy to do. Be better if you can mod the controller or get a more powerful replacement. Seems ok up to 1500watts, haven't heard of anyone going much higher than that so far. The nuvinci may also save you some grief.

gorach said:
Tonaro responds well to 44v lipo and is easy to do. Be better if you can mod the controller or get a more powerful replacement. .
This is the way I am going to go.
I Have a Quatro 6 so I can balance charge the Pack at once.
Has any one the link on the Forum for what others have done.
Also what is the mod to the controller that you talk about

Wait so these drives are capable of up to 1500 watts reliably? Wow that's a big jump from the 250 watt rating! Must be pretty good climbers at that power level! My MID mounted MAC pulls about that much and it'll climb a cliff!

Hillhater said:
Guys,
Just noticed that an australian Ebay shop has the motors and separate gearbox's available as spares
Motor = $240
Gbox = $300
http://stores.ebay.com.au/Pro-Electric-Bikes-Australia?_trksid=p4340.l2563

Cheers Hh, good lead. Shame they(Catic)don't adapt and sell these units for conversions, though I think they mebe tried once. Probably prefer to sell whole bikes. I think it's a much better unit than the GNG2 in just about every respect and Ive tried both up to 1500w.

rroland said:
gorach said:
Tonaro responds well to 44v lipo and is easy to do. Be better if you can mod the controller or get a more powerful replacement. .
This is the way I am going to go.
I Have a Quatro 6 so I can balance charge the Pack at once.
Has any one the link on the Forum for what others have done.
Also what is the mod to the controller that you talk about

Roland the mod I refer to in the controller is a shunt mod which involves adding solder to the shunt to increase the current limit from 15a to 20a or more. With lipo you can go further but remember it's just a wee controller. Can only just scrape 25mph on the flat but it runs up well.

Had to push the bike home today after the freewheel in the rear wheel bit the dust. This is the third rear wheel freewheel (or freehub?) that Ive bust in almost two years. All of these failures were on stock Tonaro wheels running at higher current and voltage but no more than 1500w. Suspect the sensible thing to do is fit a Nuvinci hub but they are pricey in the UK. Mebe just look for a better replacement rear freehub, there seems to be a number of different configurations, some more robust than others I guess.

Gorach,

stock Tonaro bike components are crap. In my opinion you pay for a demo bike with a good mid motor. If you want good durable bike parts, you should invest in Shimano XT for example.

gorach said:
Roland the mod I refer to in the controller is a shunt mod which involves adding solder to the shunt to increase the current limit from 15a to 20a or more. With lipo you can go further but remember it's just a wee controller. Can only just scrape 25mph on the flat but it runs up well.

Well 200w at 36v is about 5.5Amp
So 15A-20A at 36V is about 600W
Is there information anywhere about how to do this shunt mod?
as in where in the controller do i modify?

rroland said:
Purchased a new chain wheel (50T) and installed. Much improved over the 42T that is provided.
instead of operating in the highest gear most of the time I can get more speed and no issues at the lower end.
I can say that I get at least 25 Km's per hour on the straight and level just on the throttle. I Find this much improved and I cant really detect any loss of torque in the lower gears. ( Obviously there is but! I feel that the ratios are better suited),he vertical plain but now are.
I also found that I did not have to play with the chain( I think it was a little long as the tensioner cogs were not in the vertical but now are).
Now to upgrade the battery situation.
I am interested to see how the Speedict performs? this will give the comparisons on power performance needed.
I have an IMAX Quattro B6 Charger and this will be a great assistance charging the Lipo's.

How did you change the front chain ring?
I cant work out how to pull off the race-clutch type thing that it is attached to

Thanx Ahoog for the above post

Back