Trailer hitch rack for 2 ebikes recommendations

Noobzoob

1 mW
Hello folks,
I'm on my way towards two mid-drives. I'll be needing a rack that can easily handle them. 2016 Tacoma with tow package so any standard hitch mount with work for me.
Anyone have recommendations? Tips? Stay-away-froms?

Not sure where to ask this so here goes...Hello folks,
I'm on my way towards two mid-drives. I'll be needing a rack that can easily handle them. 2016 Tacoma with tow package so any standard hitch mount with work for me.
Anyone have recommendations? Tips? Stay-away-froms?

It depends on how much you can lift and/or will you have help,
I have two Ebikes, one, a fairly simple single hub motor and smallish batt. The other, a two wheel drive w/ a big pack. Both are older, now considered heavy mountain bikes, one under 50 lb.s and the other well over.
I bought a two bike "hanger style" rack and I thought I was being clever and got one that the vertical post actually tilted down when a pin was pulled thinking that would help me mount the "heavier" bike on the rack. It didn't(more on that in a moment).
The lighter bike I could get on my myself, but the heavier one was a no go. Remember, the "hangers" are at about chest height, so the motion is more than a "lift" and more like a "clean and jerk". I tried tilting the carrier down, but the hanger posts were a terrible angle and even after I fought one bike on, it was clear I couldn't push it back up into place w/ two bikes on it.
Another problem I ran into was interfearance between the hanger posts and the wiring of my bikes, which run along top tube. Add to that, the top shock mounts got in the way I wanted to balance the bikes and the wheels w/ the hub motors had to be secured extra tight to keep them from flopping around. I sold that rack and rethought how I was going to carry my bikes, as I never felt comfortable with them hanging out over the back while driving down the road.
I would say that that style of rack would be ok for two very light Ebikes, like road types w/ sm. packs. It's not about load carrying capacity, it's about getting them mounted and situated so the two bikes don't damage each others sensitive Eparts(they do sway around).
For most folks, I think the "rail" style would be a better, if more costly alternative. I don't think a ramp would be necessary as it isn't difficult to lift any ebike wheel, one wheel at a time.
For me, the solution was simple, I have a pickup(I was trying to save space for camping gear)and I bought two pairs of these;
https://www.amazon.com/INNO-Truck-Bike-Mount-System/dp/B07LG1DCVF/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_263_t_1?_encoding=UTF8&refRID=Y2QXQ7WED6GJP663PD0E
They are simple and really hold the bikes well. Once they are locked into place, they never to need to be ck'ed. They are pricey, but they work w. a minimum of fuss!

Thanks for your reply.
I have plenty of strength to lift an 80lb bike over my head so that's not the issue. I have now looked at dozens on line and I think I'll make my own. I have a truck but it's got a camper shell and lumber racks. I'm now thinking of bars that grab onto the rear lumber rack tube and also insert into the trailer hitch. I'll post pics when it's done. Don't hold your breath though 😁

....of course you can never go wrong with Thule....
https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/bike-rack/hitch-bike-racks
....a tad pricey but would they would be really secure for transport....
....or just fabricate something up yourself if you have a welder....
https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=136031
*Remember however, you can't have anything obstructing the view of the plate, no matter if its a ball hitch itself, anti-photo plasticques or a rack even if its just a single bar and the bikes are above the plate.

The steel swagman rack can handle 100 pound bikes. Hitch mount, holds the bikes by the wheels. Don't get me wrong, it might bend at the wheel loops, mine has. But it never dropped a bike. For the longer trips, I bungee the wheels into the loops for peace of mind, but its not really needed.

the hitch itself is not a problem, my Subaru hitch is only the skinny one. Everything will waggle, but the receiver is built to handle so much more than that rack. Nothing ever breaks on the rack or the receiver.

Other more expensive aluminum racks I have no experience with. I just know I put my swagman through plenty, often on dirt roads, going to a trail head. Sometimes, a true 4x4 road.

https://www.amazon.com/Swagman-Cross-Country-2-Bike-2-Inch-Receiver/dp/B0001VO1YY/ref=asc_df_B0001VO1YY/?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid={creative}&hvpos={adposition}&hvnetw=o&hvrand={random}&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl={devicemodel}&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584070138097161&psc=1

The link is for the 2 inch receiver, but they also make it in 1 1/8.

After using a Swagman style rack for many thousands of miles on a Honda CRV, and watching it wobble all over the place when used with conventional bikes, I don't believe I would trust it with bikes that weigh 3 times as much.

I'd be more tempted to try one of those hitch mounted platform racks used to haul big coolers, not really bike specific, and adapt as necessary. They appear to be much sturdier.

I would add caution regarding the ability to see your brake lights and turn signals with the bikes mounted. I know our Swagman may have limited visibility somewhat, and I have seen similar racks used with covered bikes that completely blocked the lights on the vehicle.

Although it’s a dead product..the tuf rack was the best choice I had ever seen for those of us that have heavy (100 pound plus) ebikes.

I’ll probably weld myself one of these up one day.........I’d just add the upright arm most tray style carriers have to hold the bike.

Tom

Attachments

• A28AAB12-611D-4BAE-AA84-35EB9C3D8DDC.jpeg
    A28AAB12-611D-4BAE-AA84-35EB9C3D8DDC.jpeg
    148.6 KB · Views: 796
I have the Swagman with half loops for the tires and it barely holds my single 70# ebike. The swaying and jiggle drive me crazy plus the hoops are showing signs of bending.

I'm likely going to weld up a tray style rack. Maybe skip the 1-1/4" hitch receiver in favor of independent mounts on the ends. I'd like to be able to load a 180# bike on there at some point.

litespeed said:
Although it’s a dead product..the tuf rack

What a shame! I'd trade off my rack in an instant.

Haven't viewed or posted for a long while. Thought I'd share my rack solution. I went with a multi - purpose platform carrier. Like this image below:

81MJpP9cNkL._SL1500_.jpg

Rated for 750 pounds. I added a Lund bike carrier attachment to my harbor freight platform. Total cost is around $85.

Back