Turnigy HXT Powered Custom Cruiser Worklog

Hyena said:
Take it easy mate, your leave of absense has been approved on the condition that you return with epic updates !

tru dat!! Maybe he discovered his calling in life was actually giving mamograms :lol:

It is going to be a dark and dismal place without you Kim [....everyone turns from computer and actually begin tinkering on thier own projects...] :wink:

you may not be posting kim BUT i KNOW your watching . :p

ima just keep bumping this till you show.

enoob said:
you may not be posting kim BUT i KNOW your watching . :p .

Actually i haven't been haha.. I needed to cut down on my forum
activities in order to to finish up this project. I Just wanted to let members know All is well this end, well..as well as it can be, i have also been prescribed new pain meds After a trip to the pain clinic at RPH, its pretty strong gear thats usually prescribed to cancer patients, its ~100 times more potent than Morphine apparently :-S Doesn't stop the pain but makes it a lil more bearable and i have been able to get more done more regularly as a result, has taken a few days to get used to it though, the 'withdrawls' from the 600mg a day Tramil 'habbit'
was a breeze thankfully..anwyaz..

Recently i have been spending upto 5 hours replying to emails and updating
worklogs across the 5 bike related forums i participate in, this wont be happening anymore.
Endless Sphere and aeva.asn.au will be the ONLY two forums I will be apart of from this point on. Hence rick74304 my departure from RatRods, was an easy choice after half a dozen idiot emails over a two week period spad4me You wont see another word from me on Moteredbikes either, our "good mate" Safe and another fuckwit "Flatracker"?thought it was fine to take cheap shots at my disability and i wouldnt say anything, they were wrong and i told them so... as a result i am now banned..permanently.

I have alot of progress to show you fellas but can't do so at this point, my trusty Canon digital camera gave up the ghost last week and i have only a old Nokia E65 mobile phone camera which is less than shocking picture quality. I just found the cable to load a few pics of the LVC boards GGoodrum sent my way (thanks again Gary)

I can tell you fellas the bike is mobile...well...was...and not under its own steam but under PEDAL POWER!! haha...it has since had the frame chopped in half (i don't kid) it was cut straight in half, a new threadless head tube added (thanks Matt.P) It was shortened slightly and top/bottome tubes re-aligned...The ChoppersUS Springers have also been 're-sized' there will be no need for re-chroming, they turned out freakin SICK boyz!! Anyway, It is again back in one piece and after today the components areVERY VERY polished. All the ali has been sanded with 4 grades of wet and dry before hand and machine buffing. A new 10mm thick aluminium gear shift mount has also been fabricated (and YES Heyna you wont be disappointed, its complete with lightening holes :p ) I have also been given a couple of skate board wheels by ...yup you guessed it Matt.P hehe cheers mate, Miles, you will be well pleased the O.D of the idler wheel on the belt drive has again been increased it is very much closer to 2.5 times the size of the smallest pulley now as per 'your' recommendation, its complete with channelled center for belt too run in to! ...OH...did i mention...the belt drive train is all assembled loctited aligned AND running and ITS SMOOOOOOOTH ...I spent 4 hours on Sunday hand sanding, filing and polishing the rear drive pulley...

Pictures? Possibly i can get a SDCard reader on Thursday from PC Store, the problem with my camera is not the picture side of it but the data transfer i been taking pics with it, i pulled the USB cable from the camera and the whole socket came with it, lil itsy bitsy wires hangzin out of the camera and the other half out the cable, i wasn't too impressed i give the the tip...

I'll report back on Thursday fellas, i hope to have the frame in AT LEAST primer by then, if your luck it will be fully painted and assembled...

Thanks all for the comments much appreciated...I will check back in every few days until i have the
bike done, then ill be back on ES more regular to add my un-wanted 2 cents in where i see fit (i promise it will be done "tastefully" though YPedal Man) :mrgreen:

KiM

p.s Luke..you will just have to take care of Methy on your own for awhile buddy, shouldnt be hard, hes a frock wearing hub motor user after all :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: He's still badass GangSTA 8) though Luke....albeit in a dress :lol: Keep on him buddy, i'm sure we can tempt him back to 'the darkside' :lol:

AussieJester said:
Update

pulley10.jpg

I shall borrow Matts 'cut' belt... if the pulley needs additional material
removed so as the belt teeth spacing is accurate this isn't a problem, bulk of the
turning has already been completed another 0.5mm can be taken off the circumference
if need be....

Back soon folks :)

KiM

p.s i will be financial enough to buy theExtra Wide Sturmey Archer 3 speed hub from ChoppersUS this week i have decided to do this straight
up rather than use a trike hub initially, this will cause some delays in the progress but i figure do it now or
it might not be done at all down the track as ill be having to much fun riding it about LoL..

I absolutely LOVE this! Is this something a DIYer can do or is this something you need experience with?

Brilliant to see you back on here, Kim, don't let the bastards on other sites get to you!

I can sympathise with the pain medication, it's a fine balance between taking stuff that knocks the edge off most of the pain, but leaves you as high as a kite, and taking nothing and living with the constant pain. If you're anything like me, you get to be a right miserable bastard after a while of enduring unremitting pain................ (although in my case it's nothing worse than arthritis in my back and neck, nothing compared to what you have to live with).

I'm really looking forward to seeing some more photos, once you get things sorted.

Jeremy

AussieJester said:
Recently i have been spending upto 5 hours replying to emails and updating
worklogs across the 5 bike related forums i participate in, this wont be happening anymore.

brother i hear that . got caught up in it with sleding forums when i first got my new sled, somethings wrong when your spending more time typing about something rather than doing it.

bout the only thing i got going for me here is the mac on the workbench means i can pester you folks while i pluck away.

As for the rest of the forums, ive visited most of the ones youve mentioned and well lets just say there is good reason im a guest there and not registered.

Glad your back this thread was getting dangerously close to dropping of the first page and i was having a hard time coming up with something witty to bump it with. :D

our "good mate" Safe and another fuckwit "Flatracker"?thought it was fine to take cheap shots at my disability

Safe has done some questionable stuff, but I'm having a real hard time with this, especially since he has admired your work for so long. What happened to turn Safe against you?

He basically called Kim lazy and accused him of having a great excuse for being a bum (his disability). Not in so many words, but that was basically it.

Safe is banned too...............

Matt

im not trying to put words in aj's mouth but from what i saw safe did not like getting called out on a few things that needed calling.

this is the problem with posting things on the net . if your gonna publish things online you have to be prepared for critics, founded or not .

theres a good example of it in a unite rewind thread. lots of good info was thrown safes way some of it critical and he chose to ignore it . the frustration i felt out of that was mine BUT it came from the fact that some opinions were conveyed as fact. this prompted some folks to spend time and money following safes lead. not good.

point is i saw someone trying to save others the same frustration and although his methods were maybe a little rough, to bad . thats the nature of posting online.

dont like critics ? ignore them, dont post online or find some facts to support your THEORY to defeat them , don't take it personally.

there . ill get my nose out of AJ's ass and go back to my thread now.

enoob said:
im not trying to put words in aj's mouth but from what i saw safe did not like getting called out on a few things that needed calling.

this is the problem with posting things on the net . if your gonna publish things online you have to be prepared for critics, founded or not .

theres a good example of it in a unite rewind thread. lots of good info was thrown safes way some of it critical and he chose to ignore it . the frustration i felt out of that was mine BUT it came from the fact that some opinions were conveyed as fact. this prompted some folks to spend time and money following safes lead. not good.

point is i saw someone trying to save others the same frustration and although his methods were maybe a little rough, to bad . thats the nature of posting online.

dont like critics ? ignore them, dont post online or find some facts to support your THEORY to defeat them , don't take it personally.

there . ill get my nose out of AJ's ass and go back to my thread now.

So true,
When i was building my first bike, i looked around for advice (on different forums)
I found this forum, and Safe's posts, I used to think, WOW, maybe i can learn from this guy (These big, long posts with diagrams etc., Hmmm, this guy knows what he's doing)
I liked his posts so much that i even went against people that already new him, including bashing Ypedal for trying to give advice to those who read Safe's posts, (i use to think, why not leave him alone, he is teaching others, are you jealous ?)

Well, after coming back and reading some other forums looking at some of the things coming out of Safe's brain, I realized that i was wrong. I'm not putting Safe down, I just (now) think that he just wants attention.(for what ever reason)

Anyway KiM, sorry for going off topic (your build) but i was just agreeing with enoob's post, ((saying something stupid on a site and then trying to erase it)

KiM,
this is a nice build, and you gave me some good ideas, from what your doing.
Keep letting us know how the build is going.

Cheers for the support fellas, shall let the whole Safe/Moterebike scenario rest now, Safe isn't here to defend himself
and its all water under the bridge as far as im concerned... OH, FYI though...Matt.S..Safe ain't banned from MBc either buddy
he just aint posting there by choice anymore. My comment "admins couldnt run a chook raffle let alone the forum"
which has subsequently been deleted, was what got me banned from Moteredbikes, Safe wasn't even warned
nor was "FlatTracker's" that did similar week earlier...

Hyena said:
your leave of absense has been approved on the condition that you return with epic updates !

Well...I hope this will suffice...for now mate :mrgreen:

UPDATE :shock:

Today the 6 buck ($AU) SDCARD reader i bought from China before Christmas lobbed in my letter box,
i am fiiinally able to get the pics off my beloved Canon camera!!! & YES Luke i even have some
Nitro vid action ESPECIALLY FOR YOU on there too buddy, will
link you to that vid at end of this post :mrgreen:

So...where did we leave off? hrmz...I think it was around the changing of the head tube of the frame so we
shall start with how this went-->

fitting_new_head_tube_series_pics_1.jpg

I wanted to address a small 'imperfection' with the top tube, it was ever so slightly leaning to one side hence
i chopped the frame in half rather than bracing the upper and lower tubes and replacing just the head tube.
All back in one piece again fully welded and tip tube PERFECT. Hyena, the holes in the head tube are factory
weld vent holes and were not in the right spot to put the upper and lower tubes of my frame over HENCE i
have them at the front (pssst...i did drill one more to make it look even too dont tellz anyone :p ) Matt.P
convinced me Schwinn are crap and has no place on this bike so i have now filed the "Schwinn Quality
and stingray
" from the badge and have just the flames, looks neat and covers the holes...:)

I put the bike back together after this...and fitted the forks, resized the fork and springer tubes so the bike sat how i wanted it-->

Altered_springer_fork_side_shot.jpg

new_for_fitted_pic1.jpg

new_for_fitted_pic2.jpg

new_for_fitted_pic3.jpg

(sorry for the grainy pics fellas, damn camera was set to lower quality image settings and i simply didnt see this at the time grr)

Matt.P also hooked me up with a stem, it was a curb-side find originally powdercoated black, scratched up a bit but
it was aluminium! a lil polishing and it came up like new-->

polished_stem.jpg

(note also Hyena, custom ali disks added to the tope of fork tubes...complete with lightening holes :mrgreen:)

So with the bike back in roller stage i moved on to adding a a few bits altering others, first up the front break mounting-->

froont%20caliper%20mount.jpg

The original brake calliper mounts on the ChoppersUS rockers simply aren't in the correct place, Matt.P made me
aware of this when he got the rocker, the hole spacing is correct but the brake calliper simply will not slide in it fouls
with the disk so it needs dropping down some, the plate i made utilises the original mount holes, it is made from
3mm thick ali plate and still needs blinging but works a treat :)

The shifter mount also wasn't up to par, the 3mm steel job was given the ass for this custom 10mm ali number i knocked up

10mm_shifter_mount.jpg

Sadly though this wont be used in the final build, the 3 speed hub is being replaced and sold, Matt
recently blew his and made me realise its pointless using this when i can sell it and re coupe some
money for it...Thought i would showz it anywayz :) Matt ordered n a extra wide freewheel hub
with his recent order for me, i will have it next time Matt is up, shall lace it into the spare 4x20in
rim i have here and swap it out ...

I also need to modify the mount for the chain guide again though, not much use now but ill show it anywayz-->

3_speed_roller_mount_mod.jpg

I guess i best explain WHY i did this, due to the addition of the left hand side free-wheel and the space required to fit it axle
length has become an issue, the nuts only have axle half way through them so any small gains i can make is
a bonus, with the freehweel hub Matt has for me i will be looking at extending the axle 10mm to fix this issue
something i am not able to do with the 3 speed axle.

My fav part of this bike Mr Recumpences SiR's CNC Reduction Pr0N, it got the polishing and loctite treatment also-->

Reduction_drive_polished.jpg

(Damn grainy low rez pics grrrr... I shall add here too all the polishing to this stage was done by hand,
have since redone all parts again using my buffing wheel which i didnt have setup before hand :-S )

Matt .P hooked me up with a couple of skate board wheels that i could use for my belt tensioner, needed
a channel put in it and a slight width 'adjustment, heres how that went and turned out-->

new_skateboard_wheel_tensioner.jpg

I have a second wheel to be used on the other side if i decide a tensioner is required, im hoping to get
away with it, currently not required i am also picking up a couple of half link chans to use so i think a
tensioner on the manual pedal chain will be unnecessary...

Next issue i tackled was rear brake calliper mount, went alot like this-->

brake_caliper_mount.jpg

I have ~10mm spacers on the inside of the mount to get the spacing required to get correct caliper/disk alignment-->

caliper_pic_alignment_1.jpg

Worked out just about right didnt it...I have also got a set of Avid Juicy 7 hydraulic callipers coming my way curiosity
of a fantastic deal with Methods THANKYOU mate saved me a FORTUNE!!!

Next order of business was to organise a neat method of tensioning the belts/chains and keeping the axle from
moving under acceleration from the motor, i went about it a little like this-->

chain_tensioners.jpg

I made the ali pieces from the 10mm thick ali piece Matt gave me, i used a thin cuttoff wheel on the angle grinder
to dig some groves ~5mm into it, i think cut these pieces cleaned em up a lil with file drilled a 8mm hole in them. The 8mm
threaded rod has been welded onto the standard "locking" washers that come with the 3 speed hub...Worked out
well IMHO and make getting precise tension and alignment on the belt a no brainer.

Batteries!!!! Yes something that unfortunately has to be do...I received a couple of LVC boards from GGoodrum
due to some 'miscommunication' on my behalf Gary sent out boards for a 12s2P setup, he promptly rectified this
and sent out the necessary items to rectify the problem including a custom cable he made especially for me THX Gary..

lvc%20board%20%20&%20custom_ggoodrum_cable.jpg

Gary sent me the extra 2 balancing connectors needed, i decided to also remove the main lead connectors from the boards as they are no longer used...Gary is also sending me out his latest LVC boards-->

New_ggoodrum_lvc_Boa_rd.JPG

So the current setup is only temporary for me to test the bike! I didnt bother taking pics of the whole assemble of the
packi finally found something that interests me less than sanding! heres are a couple of pic& TBH I took these mainly
for DogMan so he is aware of the size of 44V 20ah worth of lipos compared to his beloved Pings packs
thinking about it now though i doubt he will see them he wouldnt venture into th non-hub motor section would he?-->

44v_20ah_lipo_pack.jpg

I went out this morning Gary and got the meanwell PSU :: grabs camera to take a pic::

Meanwell_PSU_pics.jpg

It's just hit BeeR o'clock here, mates will be buy soon so i wont be hooking it up
to the battery today, i shall have camera in video mode handy tomorrow morning when i do though
in case i have done something wrong, it should be fine, Gary was very clear in his instructions
how to set it all up that even an electrical dunce like me could follow them LoL..Thx Gary you have been
extremely helpful and generous with your time mate, very much appreciated, thanks to to Hyena for his explantaions
regarding issues i had questions on in this department....Guys looking at hooking up lipos
do yourself a favour checkout GGoodrums site for LVC boards and balancers...TP.Packs.com

I thiiiink thats it for now fellas, its been VERY hot last 5-6 days here so i haven't done much more
i have one last issue to overcome i entirely forgot about till yesterday and thats a step down 50v-12v 5ampish
converter, nothing available in small form factor local that will suit my needs, anyone know of a small unit
preferably UNDER 50 bucks (i know of some over 100) i would be VERY appreciative of a link...

One last think, for LUKE...just so you know i was thinking about you when i was at the MotorPlex last weekend
watching the Nitro Funny cars mate ...be there for the Top Fuel Dragsters this Friday/Sat night
to just quietly, must suck only getting them in your neck of the woods once a year hehe, been here 3 times in the last month :p

Thanks again fellas, ill be back HOPEFULLY with some video of the bike in action very soon...

KiM

oooo ya i smell a whole buncha bad ass comin. 8)

assuming your not doing it already . you may want to leave the hard points on the frame in place and paint with using that shifter in mind later, thuds tranny or a delta wye setup would be slick linked to that.
but then thats what you get for painting mona lisa on the side of the street. tips from wackos interrupting genius at work :wink:

Dude that is lookin great. loving the chain tensioners , the power you (and a few here) are looking to put through these should be helped by that trick bit. dirtbike in the blood.

On the subject of dc-dc converters I have managed to pick them up off of e-bay for 20-$30 US. I think this looks close to what you are after.

http://cgi.ebay.com/DC-to-DC-Converter-48V-in-Triple-out-3-3V-12V-12V_W0QQitemZ370119378099QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item562cd584b3

AussieJester said:
(note also Hyena, custom ali disks added to the tope of fork tubes...complete with lightening holes :mrgreen:)
I knew you couldn't make a whole post without lightening holes! :p

That's some pro work on the tensioners. They go from looking a bit shit (or you let me loose with the welder :lol: ) in pic 2 to looking totally blinged in the next few shots. Very tidy.

enoob said:
oooo ya i smell a whole buncha bad ass comin. 8) .

I smellz it too buddy, and you KNOW you will be one of 2 North Americans that will sees it
LOOOOONG before anyone here does..:: inner circle thing:: :mrgreen:

biohazardman said:
On the subject of dc-dc converters I have managed to pick them up off of e-bay for 20-$30 US. I think this looks close to what you are after.

Thankyou biohazardman.

Hyena said:
I knew you couldn't make a whole post without lightening holes! :p

hrmmz, i could... just wouldnt feel right about it :mrgreen: Luke says every lightening hole is
worth .05mph if its on a non- frock wheel drive e-bike
<--OK.OK...OK..he obviously hasn't im just baiting him now to make sure he's paying attention :mrgreen:

Methy wears pink dresses<--again...the..attention thing ::sigh:: Luke..we have lost Methy...

p.s What you think your chances are of your custom frame NOT having lightening holes Heyna not good im thinkin. chances are better than good it will be TIG welded an ali ...:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Hyena said:
That's some pro work on the tensioners. They go from looking a bit shit (or you let me loose with the welder :lol: ) in pic 2 to looking totally blinged in the next few shots. Very tidy.

I missed several in between shots thankfully nobody saw that :mrgreen: was welded once cut and welded again to get the necessary 'clearance' ... I am pretty chuffed about the end result, even more so how well they work.

Cheers fellas. 3.27am time for bedz...

KiM

. ^ is humbled before the master. I'm going to have to get real creative to make a belt tensioner that is as killer as that. Hell, makes me feel like I'm trying to polish a turd working on my ride. Think you'll have enough range to make it to west coast choppers and take a crap on their bike? I beg of you to get a guy in a car-bike-whatever to video you riding this thing.

gestalt said:
. ^ is humbled before the master. I'm going to have to get real creative to make a belt tensioner that is as killer as that. Hell, makes me feel like I'm trying to polish a turd working on my ride. Think you'll have enough range to make it to west coast choppers and take a crap on their bike? I beg of you to get a guy in a car-bike-whatever to video you riding this thing.

hehee i love that saying, and as much as you do polish a turd its still a turd aint it LOL... I'm sure you will
do fine to buddy, glad you saw the tensioners too, i think they would be a good addition to your cruiser project

Should have some decent range, fact is though my longest cummute (to local Pub) is a 10km round trip
so i wont be putting alot of stress on the lipos...they will also be replaced/complimented in the near future with
some prismatic A123's from Cell_Man.. :wink:

And yes haha, there will be ALOT of video footage of the bike being ridden including mate tailing me whilst ridding it same as my trike video :) aaaand, haha hopefully my mate Flavio will need his Holden HSV Senator to keep up rather than the turbo Hilux heheh 8)

Cheers mate...

KiM

AussieJester said:
One last think, for LUKE...just so you know i was thinking about you when i was at the MotorPlex last weekend
watching the Nitro Funny cars mate ...be there for the Top Fuel Dragsters this Friday/Sat night
to just quietly, must suck only getting them in your neck of the woods once a year hehe, been here 3 times in the last month :p

KiM

Hell yeah!!! I connected it up to my home theater setup and cranked the sound as loud as it could go, and watched it like 10 times. I love that sh*t!!!! The near lane tree'd that guy so hard his crewchief probably did a backflip right there on the starting line. Nothing more satisfying than taking a complimentary few car lengths straight from the start due to a better driver and better chassis adjustment.

They must love running down in Oz, and hate running in Seattle. They always pack the stands and pits so full it's generally standing room only when they come here, but they only come once. :(

For the folks who have never attended a top-fuel race, it's something everyone should experience before they die. I say experience, because it's not just something you watch, it's something that grabs and shakes your whole body like a leaf in the wind, and practically shuts down your brain when they launch if you're close enough to the engines. You get the taste and smell the sweet nitro fumes mixed with delicious sweet tire smoke that bathes the whole stands in billowing clouds. Unlike most things in life, this is something the provides an absolutely unique sensation for all 5 senses. Even if you don't like cars, if you get the chance to feel it sometime, the experience is something you will never forget.

Thanks for the vid KiM!

liveforphysics said:
For the folks who have never attended a top-fuel race, it's something everyone should experience before they die. I say experience, because it's not just something you watch, it's something that grabs and shakes your whole body like a leaf in the wind, and practically shuts down your brain when they launch if you're close enough to the engines.

Thats no exaggeration either, the ground literally shakes under your feet when these machines launch guyz!
to watch a car cover the 1/4mile in 5-6seconds is an experience ~8000hp unleashed 60 liters of nitromethane
burnt in a single pass (how many lipos we need for that sort of power Luke LoL... :mrgreen: ).

As you could see by the vid buddy, they draw a fair crowd when they head West, and a general admission ticket simply won't suffice either, you MUST get into the pits and checkout 'behind the scene action' MEGA bucks per run that more often than not goes up in smoke not far from the start line...oh yeah, and the sweet sweeeeeet smell of Nitro :: homer Simpson druuuel :: LoL...

Shall finish with my fav line Luke--> Petrols for washing parts, alcohols for drinking, Nitros for racing :mrgreen:

KiM

p.s take your ear plugs fellas you need em its still hella loud with protection!!

+1 for top fuel

I really enjoy all forms of motor racing. But Nothing & I mean Nothing can describe the experiance of watching Top fuel cars Launch. Pure, unadalterated, violence. (the good kind) :p
Television can't do it justice. (or any other sport for that matter)

Top quality ear plugs in, The tree flashes & time shifts momentarily, bluring reality. A hot presure wave of acceleration blows in your face & you have an instant of nausia as your vision clears, that passes almost as fast as the Dragster a hundred feet in front of you does. Its like a whole body wack on the funnybone.

AJ you are spoiled. That nitro smell is sweet but makes my head ring almost instantly.
(I grew up on the Caster bean smell of 2 stroke race gas :twisted: still my favorite)

Oh & your cruzer is looking quite snap also. I am anxious to see the color you picked out for it.

Thud said:
Oh & your cruzer is looking quite snap also. I am anxious to see the color you picked out for it.

Wait no longer my friend, it will be this exact colour <--- (FYI: for those not aware, thatz Matt.P 1000watts electric Cyclone motored/48v 20ah headway Cruiser...Bitchin ride pics dont do this bike justice its a work of art totally custom made fabricated entirely by matt.)I had planned originally to have Matt take to 'his guy' to be powder coated he gets a fantastic deal THEN i decided i would do the paint myself as my mate donated Ford Electric Blue 2pac paint too me NOW i have swung back to having it powder coated simply due to the weather atm, if i di the work myself it aint gunna happen for awhile its just too freakin hot this time of the year...

KiM

AussieJester said:
What you think your chances are of your custom frame NOT having lightening holes Heyna not good im thinkin. chances are better than good it will be TIG welded an ali ...:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Haha I wouldn't expect anything else! Tig welded ali huh ? Nice. You're starting to venture away from the heavier steel ? How long before you rebuilt your whole bike in aluminium ? :lol: I guess the only issue will be getting donor head tubes and bottom brackets and what not - they won't be as readily available on the side of the road as old steel frames. Actually, I've got the aluminium frame my my old bike I just snapped, but its got the cheap threaded headset...

Hyena said:
Nice. You're starting to venture away from the heavier steel ? How long before you rebuilt your whole bike in aluminium ? :lol: I guess the only issue will be getting donor head tubes and bottom brackets and what not - they won't be as readily available on the side of the road as old steel frames. Actually, I've got the aluminium frame my my old bike I just snapped, but its got the cheap threaded headset...

And or composites... 8) i have this itch to have a crack at a Carbon Fibre frame for myself, i think that
will be next for me. Im quite pleased with the weight of the cruiser now though TBH, its no super light weight but its
still lighter than the Stealth Bomber my cruiser is bang on 30kg without batteries and motor so i guesstimate
close to 50kg ready to go, not too bad considering its thick walled steel tube with a heavy springer front end! I guess
that 27 thousand dollar gearbox on the Stealth Bomber weighs a bit of coure theres also the 1/2 ton frock
motor out the back, rolls off the tongue nice dont it, F R O C K Motor... (just joking with ya fellas don't get your panties in a bunch now
) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

RE: the head tubes they wont be as big a prob as source ali bottom brackets i dont think...can easily get some
thick walled ali close to right size and popz him in the lathe and turn itout to size, but getting threaded ali tube for bottom brackest maybe an issue, i wonder if Hal has a source for them, will pmz him when time comes...

KiM

Back