Turnigy Multistar - lightweight 10C cells

Alan why did you decide on the 6s 8Amp hour packs. I am considering the 6s 16 amp hour packs because they are the cheapest. Did you do this because of size and fit?

Offroader said:
Alan why did you decide on the 6s 8Amp hour packs. I am considering the 6s 16 amp hour packs because they are the cheapest. Did you do this because of size and fit?

I could not figure out a way for the 16AH packs to fit, and they haven't been in stock for awhile. I've got 12 Turnigy 5AH packs in the Borg now, and these are just slightly larger in one dimension, a dimension that I have some space in. I'm still going to have difficulty placing the packs right together and routing the wires, however that should be resolvable.

From my looking at it, the 16AH packs won't fit side by side or stacked so they are a non-starter for this frame.

173x74x68 mm 6S 16AH battery size

300x150x105 mm compartment space

I don't see how to get more than two of those in that space, and there is wasted space all around.

146x64x50 mm multistar 6S 8AH size

Whereas these can fit 8 of them in the space, and mostly fill it.

Yes understandable.

To fit 22s 35amp hour pack in my raptor I'm going to have to put smaller connectors on all my packs and also cut down on the length of the huge 10 gauge wire used on the packs. I'm going to then route 14 gauge to each pack.

This will be like a 20+ hour job to do all of this.

I love the 16Ah for simplicity of charging BUT can only get 2 in my EM3EV bag so am looking at getting smaller ones to fill the space properly as mentioned above.
Anybody have one of these and how do you fill it?

I can fit 3 6Sx16Ah Multistar's on each side of my Top Tube Saddle Bag. That's over 2KW of juice.
And it fits OVER the Triangle Bag. :twisted:

KB2.jpg

KB3.jpg

P1.0-A.jpg

Cheers.
I have seen yours before and this is my next plan.

teslanv said:
I can fit 3 6Sx16Ah Multistar's on each side of my Top Tube Saddle Bag. That's over 2KW of juice.
And it fits OVER the Triangle Bag. :twisted:

I assume you meant 6?

Nice, yeah these 6s x16 AH ones add up nicely in Watt hours.

The price is also so good and better than any other hobbyking lipo for the 16 amp hour packs. I really find no reason to get any other batteries unless you really can't meet the amp demand. I find my 20C turnigy packs a total waste of weight, volume, and money in my bike as I never get close to their total amp output.

Offroader said:
I assume you meant 6?

The price is also so good and better than any other hobbyking lipo for the 16 amp hour packs. I really find no reason to get any other batteries unless you really can't meet the amp demand. I find my 20C turnigy packs a total waste of weight, volume, and money in my bike as I never get close to their total amp output.

EXACTLY.
A pair of these Multistars can cope with everything a BBS02 can throw at them.
After half an hour browsing ebay I realise I am going to have to make my own top tube panniers for them.

KINNINVIEKID said:
Offroader said:
I assume you meant 6?

EXACTLY.
A pair of these Multistars can cope with everything a BBS02 can throw at them.
After half an hour browsing ebay I realise I am going to have to make my own top tube panniers for them.

To clarify, that's 3 of the 6S 16AH packs ON EACH SIDE for a total of 6. Over 2100 Watt-Hours. (My Photo Above shows 6 of the 4S-5Ah Hard Case Packs per side)

The Latest version will have straps with buckles on the front & Back Side, a handle on the top for easy Bag & Battery removal, and will be lined on the interior with 3/8" thick closed-cell foam padding and Nomex, to give you a fighting chance if your LiPo's light up. Basically it's a Top Tube Pannier built just for Hobbyking LiPo's. I will have a Pre-sale Thread up after the new year.

My Price target is $80, shipped.

I only need 2 in the top and 2 in the triangle.
My butt could not stand more range than they would give me :shock:

If I decide to get a Lightning Rods motor next year I will be in the market for your bag though.

KINNINVIEKID said:
I love the 16Ah for simplicity of charging BUT can only get 2 in my EM3EV bag so am looking at getting smaller ones to fill the space properly as mentioned above.
Anybody have one of these and how do you fill it?
This comes as a major disappointment to me. I was counting on fitting 4 into an EM3EV triangle bag and had just assumed they'd fit without taking measurements. Currently, I have it filled with 12x 4S 5AH hardcase and if I tidied up my wiring harness I could fit another 4.

I was hoping for 4 as well :cry:
Might try to fit a couple in a square plastic downpipe fixed to the bottom frame tube instead,at least there will be plenty of room in the triangle bag for a spare tube and some tools.

Now you have me thinking!
If I could fit 15 of those hardcases in that would be 3S5P for 25Ah and would cost £240
The Multistars are 16Ah for £180 so a similar cost per Ah but of course the hardcases weigh quite a bit more.
Can you definately get 15 in the EM3EV bag?

That's bad news that only 2 will fit in a falconEV bag.

You'll get 25% less watt hours per square inch with the hardcases though, plus they are some of the lowest quality packs that hobbyking sells. I don't recommend them at all.

For you, i'd say add some 10ah multistars on top of your 16ah. There will be a way to make it fit. 26ah of 46v nominal is a huge amount of range for a BBS02.

KINNINVIEKID said:
Now you have me thinking!
If I could fit 15 of those hardcases in that would be 3S5P for 25Ah and would cost £240
The Multistars are 16Ah for £180 so a similar cost per Ah but of course the hardcases weigh quite a bit more.
Can you definately get 15 in the EM3EV bag?
5P starts to create problems in as far as grouping into sub-packs while maintaining convenient shapes (2x2 is neat and gives flexibility, but 2x2+1 not so much). With a tidy, minimal wiring harness you could get 15/16 in, but only just. Don't plan on getting anything else in though.

neptronix said:
That's bad news that only 2 will fit in a falconEV bag.

You'll get 25% less watt hours per square inch with the hardcases though, plus they are some of the lowest quality packs that hobbyking sells. I don't recommend them at all.

For you, i'd say add some 10ah multistars on top of your 16ah. There will be a way to make it fit. 26ah of 46v nominal is a huge amount of range for a BBS02.

Its not the Falcon bag its the EM3EV .
I dont really want the hardcases as I have seen plenty of reports of the low quality but just thinking of what works best for the bag.
I only need them once every 4 weeks or so in the summer for long distance rides as the rest of the time I do 40 miles or less a day and the pair of Multistars is plenty for that.
I definately need at least 32Ah for my distance rides though(80 miles+ and lots of big hills and offroad sections over the Yorkshire moors).

danielrlee said:
5P starts to create problems in as far as grouping into sub-packs while maintaining convenient shapes (2x2 is neat and gives flexibility, but 2x2+1 not so much). With a tidy, minimal wiring harness you could get 15/16 in, but only just. Don't plan on getting anything else in though.

My plan would be to have 2 lots of 5 in a straight line as they could go next to each other and the final 5 would have to fit round the space left.

I am going to make some cardboard mock ups of the hardcases and of the 10Ah Multistars and see what goes.

Thanks for your input guys :wink:

Hardcases are the least energy dense packs you can buy. 10AH turnigy multistar will allow you to jam the most capacity into that bag. That's your goal, right? :)

neptronix said:
Hardcases are the least energy dense packs you can buy. 10AH turnigy multistar will allow you to jam the most capacity into that bag. That's your goal, right? :)
Yes. I am trying to get 32Ah mostly in the triangle .

Alan B said:
If the em3ev bag I ordered shows up before the Multistar 6S 8AH packs are installed on the Borg, I'll do a check fit to see how those work.

It would be good to try different combinations and see what options work well.

That would be a big help Alan.
Thanks

Hey guys,

I'm trying to get ideas for a new build and I am looking for the best power to weight.

I am not sure if the lightest batteries are the multistars or if there is something better like the 18650 cells.

It seems most people use 18650 cells and I am not sure the reason for this. There seems to be a lot of different 18650 cells also.

I do know that weight matters to the point where the C rating will be too low. The multistars seem to offer just about enough C rating for a 3000 watt hour pack. I am looking to build a 3000 watt hour pack so I would use about 32 amp hour of multistars at 22s.

riba2233 said:
18650 are better in many ways, and there is a wide range of C ratings. What Would be your C rating?

Well it is hard to clarify a c rating but I would say that I would need like 100 amps peak with a 3000 watt pack at around 90 volts. I probably would draw only about 6000 watts of power peak. So my C rating doesn't have to be that high really because of the large size of a 3000 watt pack. Hope that is understandable.

I will have to figure out the specs.

Do you know any 18650 cells that are recommended for the low weight?

If you stay below 3.5C continuous, look for Panasonic NCR18650PF or NCR18650BE if you can find them for good price (BE, PF are inexpensive). One cell is 46g and you need about 286 cells (22s13p, or you can go 22s14p), so it would be around 13.5 kg. That pack could do 130A or 140A continuous (10A per cell) and would be around 2.6kwh at 87% dod. Your turnigy would be around 2.6kwh at 100% dod.

Here's a thread on Multistar vs 18650:

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=62932

If you use 18650 plan to make a lot of connections, or pay a lot for a commercial pack. It is pretty simple to solder or crimp together a simple wiring harness for Multistars, but welding or soldering hundreds of 18650s is a job, and the weight advantage is pretty much lost by the time you package them. It can also be hard to get quality cells and avoid counterfeits, and the voltage sag and cell heating is substantial. 18650s can be good but they are not cheap or easy.

Back