Vector E-bike catching fire

Status
Not open for further replies.
No the hall sensors wouldn't create fire... I shorted them many times. However, with tape protection, they tend to short easily when it rains. I live in london and it rains all the time, I had this issue more than 10 times and systematically it was because of either poor soldering or poor insulation. These tapes tend to fail under vibration after a period of time/usage. For me it's between 3-6 months but I'm very frequent rider (more than 1000km/month) riding under poor weather condition, so failure do appear quite quickly.

Anyway, I think if you did suggest to repair remotely, then you need to share responsibilities into this, as the buyer doesn't seem to have much knowledge on how to fix ebikes.

Hello and good year 2017 to everyone

I had no news or proposal from Artur and

So I'm going to start a procedure with my attorney, and I gave him all the information.
I tried an amicable agreement without success. The dealer never intended to settle the situation and allowed himself to give incomplete explanations by making me responsible for the incident.

An expert was contacted, my lawyer will do the rest.

I will not give you advice but think well before buying an electric bike and especially think about after-sales service;)

Excellent continuaton, I come back to you as soon as I have elements.

Well at the going rate for good legal work this might just end up wasting more money, maybe you should just take the deal that you was given?
At least with that deal you know the outcome, you know exactly the cost of a new rolling bike.

With this legal work, you risk your legal adviser to not be the experienced mind you first contacted but you might just end up with an intern or a fresh out of school lawyer. You get billed like your case was handled by a senior lawyer but you might get a fresh lawyer. And think of the hours lawyers can spend writing letters back and forth without even being in court.

If you move forward with this lawyer business I really hope you have a fair amount of time dealing with lawyers in a professional matter. So that you more easily can cut through all the bull and keep you lawyer to the point and laser focused. Slinging legal terms back and forth @150 € an hour will rapidly sink your case.

For cases like this a lawyer is a worth it only if you manage to win, if not you end up with paying your costly legal bills and might even be court ordered to pay the legal bills of you opponent, check these things before moving forward. Your case can for a ordinary guy like me seem like a classic "lawyer food" case. Where there are no clear winner, and there is a risk of high financial costs without any guarantee for victory.

Think it over, at most you stand to gain all your money back, minus the legal fee. How big that fee will be nobody knows. It could easily go as high 1/3 of initial costs of your Vector, or even higher. And that is if you win. Which you have no guarantee. On the other hand, you might loose the case after spending several thousand € on legal bills.

Worth rethinking the offer from Vector, at least for that amount of money you will have a brand spanking new e-bike. And even if you factor in your first bike, the financial costs and the price for the parts of the second you overall total price is still not bad. Several ES members have spend more then that on home made bikes without achieving the same riding experience you get from Vector bikes.

Then, you still have to collect; can be somewhat difficult if you're in the same country and harder if you're not. Still, the deal you were offered wasn't fair (AFAICT). Cautionary tale for anyone considering a purchase from this vendor.

2old said:
Then, you still have to collect; can be somewhat difficult if you're in the same country and harder if you're not. Still, the deal you were offered wasn't fair (AFAICT). Cautionary tale for anyone considering a purchase from this vendor.

I think that is kind of harsh, to draw a conclusion based on 1 case that frankly can swing both ways. I know Artur has even replaced entire frames cost free for another owner under warranty. And he is easy to get in contact with, more then willing to help with support, technical advise etc.

The customer is not always right you know.

When selling high power complete ebikes with a branded name and what i assume is a registered business then surely there will be some standards of quality control that need to be followed especially with battery and wiring, maybe volts and amps. There will be something in E.U law.

If Vectorbikes is still offering to pay 50% , then perhaps you should compromise.

macribs said:
2old said:

I think that is kind of harsh, to draw a conclusion based on 1 case that frankly can swing both ways. I know Artur has even replaced entire frames cost free for another owner under warranty. And he is easy to get in contact with, more then willing to help with support, technical advise etc.

Based on the pictures the OP showed I wouldn't consider this vendor, but that's JMO.

macribs said:
2old said:

1) there is a pic of how the connection of the sensor wires was done
2) there is another pic where you can see how the battery was built (it had been discussed in a different thread
3) the fact that battery was shippend with big voltage difference on ONE group (drift on a whole 4s pack would make sense, but it was only ONE group!!)

this tells you everything you need to know about that disaster i would say ;)

instructing the customer to replace the defect controller on his own wasn't optimal. However, this i can understand a bit because shipping an assembled bike back could be quite expensive, especially if not in country.

about warranty, quality control and other things:
i personally had a problem with one frame (swingarm alignment), another with a set of spare sidecovers (arrived bended because they had been squeezed into to small package), and one more problem with two kickstands (early version which had constructional flaw, one broke already!!).

NO REPLACEMENT for any of the above parts!

The response was always quick from Vector which is great, but as mentioned, i got nothing replaced and wasted plenty of time for taking photos and writing messages (for describing the problem).

summarized: if i was saying "Artur there is a problem" he was saying "no there isn't"

You guys can imagine that the only thing you can do after such annoying discussions is making your troubles public, and i can understand that vectoribike now wants to proceed against vector over law.
Offering a new bike for half the money is no bad deal, but IMO only, if Vector first would RECOGNIZE the problmes, and not taking others for idiots (at least in most of my PM conversions it was like that).

madin88 said:
macribs said:
2old said:

1) there is a pic of how the connection of the sensor wires was done
2) there is another pic where you can see how the battery was built (it had been discussed in a different thread
3) the fact that battery was shippend with big voltage difference on ONE group (drift on a whole 4s pack would make sense, but it was only ONE group!!)

this tells you everything you need to know about that disaster i would say ;)

instructing the customer to replace the defect controller on his own wasn't optimal. However, this i can understand a bit because shipping an assembled bike back could be quite expensive, especially if not in country.

about warranty, quality control and other things:
i personally had a problem with one frame (swingarm alignment), another with a set of spare sidecovers (arrived bended because they had been squeezed into to small package), and one more problem with two kickstands (early version which had constructional flaw, one broke already!!).

NO REPLACEMENT for any of the above parts!

The response was always quick from Vector which is great, but as mentioned, i got nothing replaced and wasted plenty of time for taking photos and writing messages (for describing the problem).

summarized: if i was saying "Artur there is a problem" he was saying "no there isn't"

You guys can imagine that the only thing you can do after such annoying discussions is making your troubles public, and i can understand that vectoribike now wants to proceed against vector over law.
Offering a new bike for half the money is no bad deal, but IMO only, if Vector first would RECOGNIZE the problmes, and not taking others for idiots (at least in most of my PM conversions it was like that).

I know we had some issues in the past, but what you have said here I think is showing your personal attitude...

I can't let Artur stay in such a bad light. I have had absolutely the opposite of what you say. My rear shock got bended and I have got it replaced in a really good time.

-Elias

ziltoid81 said:
Artur said:
I know we had some issues in the past, but what you have said here I think is showing your personal attitude...

Hes just sharing his experience. ........should i do the same?

Better not, right Artur? :roll:

You go ahead. We are free to order items from wherever we want. If you don't like my offers you are free to order anywhere else, it's a free market.

After reading all this, i think Artur took a lot of time in trying to solve the different problems.
I think big lessons are learned here.

Maybe i missed something but just before the fire, the battery WAS balanced ?

What bothers me most is that he won't take the 50% offer and refuses to send the burned parts.
Why ? because he has something to hide ? This smells bad to me.

Soldered wires with tape is not something that looks professional, and my have caused the costumer to think this was a bad build, but we all know this isn't the cause of the fire.
Riding on a flat tire, and bending the rim ?? :-(

If i was Artur i got in my van, with a new and fully tested bike and take it personally to the customer, in return for the burned parts and 50%.

If costumer goes legal everybody losses :-(

smurphy said:
After reading all this, i think Artur took a lot of time in trying to solve the different problems.
I think big lessons are learned here.

Maybe i missed something but just before the fire, the battery WAS balanced ?

What bothers me most is that he won't take the 50% offer and refuses to send the burned parts.
Why ? because he has something to hide ? This smells bad to me.

Soldered wires with tape is not something that looks professional, and my have caused the costumer to think this was a bad build, but we all know this isn't the cause of the fire.
Riding on a flat tire, and bending the rim ?? :-(

If i was Artur i got in my van, with a new and fully tested bike and take it personally to the customer, in return for the burned parts and 50%.

If costumer goes legal everybody losses :-(

Thank you for your point of view. Yes, before fire battery was balanced. Yes, lesson learned, no more letting customer open the bike for any reason. I offered what you said at the end and but I found out some interesting facts. As you said, it is very weird to not letting us to have the bike for investigation of accident.

I agree, and if you think about it when do you ever get the use of warranty without following what vendor tells you to do?
I remember many moons ago, IBM's HDD Gate. Probably thousands of drives was replaced, but IBM collected those faulty drives so they could investigate what caused the premature death of the almost new hdd's. If pepople didn't return faulty hdd, the costs of replacing the drive was on the customer and not IBM, because customer refused to play ball. Fair and fully understandable. Just as Artur's wish to take a close inspection of the remains of the bike to try to determine the root cause of failure is a fair and valid request in my eyes.

The way most warranties are written you are required to send the defective unit back for replacement. Unfortunately a whole e bike is a large expense for the customer.
Buy local when available.

The OP is considering litigation; does it make sense to return the evidence AT HIS COST to the vendor? IMO, best for the OP is take your lumps and chalk it up to experience. I received two faulty batteries from Dillenger and, while a much less expensive undertaking, just learned my lesson.

Artur said:
ziltoid81 said:
Artur said:

Hes just sharing his experience. ........should i do the same?

Better not, right Artur? :roll:

You go ahead. We are free to order items from wherever we want. If you don't like my offers you are free to order anywhere else, it's a free market.

What the frock youre talking about?

I got a defective and horrible packed and shipped motor from you and you refused to give warranty too.
I was FORCED to repair it by myself and you told me to do so.
Like in this case too, you let the customer do the warranty work.

Just continue to take your customers for idiots.......

If i had known this before, yes i would have ordered anywhere else.
Maybe youre right it was my mistake.......i ordered from vector.

ziltoid81 said:
Just continue to take your customers for idiots.......

If i had known this before, yes i would have ordered anywhere else.
Maybe youre right it was my mistake.......i ordered from vector.

same thougths
if you as customer having a problem, there is a high risk that you will get punked and taken for a fool until you stop requesting for warranty or replacement anymore.
otherwise you need to be ready to put yourself into a long fight!

I had 3 problems, and it was 3 times the same thing.

Artur said:
Thats easy said because now you already have taken his money ;)
For you Artur, profit seems to be more important than happy customers.

Hello,

I see that this discussion is reacting!

I will provide some clarification.

I do not want to meet the burnt bike because it is in expertise for the needs of my lawyer and second point because I will not pay a fee while the dealer has not made any gesture towards me for many weeks.

Contrary to what can say certain, I have nothing to hide and the whole of the bike, the messages, exchanges with artur are available to anyone who would like.

Stop talking about the rim, this event has nothing to do with the fire! Be serious ! And that rim had been replaced.

Let us remain intelligent in our exchanges and as transparent as possible. (And comparing a damper problem with an entire burnt bike seems irrelevant)

As long as I do not agree, the procedure continues.

Artur, what's your "I found out some interesting facts."

I am curious about what you said.

vectorIbike said:
Hello,

I see that this discussion is reacting!

I will provide some clarification.

I do not want to meet the burnt bike because it is in expertise for the needs of my lawyer and second point because I will not pay a fee while the dealer has not made any gesture towards me for many weeks.

Contrary to what can say certain, I have nothing to hide and the whole of the bike, the messages, exchanges with artur are available to anyone who would like.

Stop talking about the rim, this event has nothing to do with the fire! Be serious ! And that rim had been replaced.

Let us remain intelligent in our exchanges and as transparent as possible. (And comparing a damper problem with an entire burnt bike seems irrelevant)

As long as I do not agree, the procedure continues.

Artur, what's your "I found out some interesting facts."

I am curious about what you said.

"options I paid and lost in the fire" "The accessories I added. As cosmetic accessories."

@madin88 I understand why you so mad, but try to drill a hole in a new car and then try to return it to a dealer. Why do you think it should work with other goods?

@ziltoid81 I told you to return a motor back to me, then I would open it and see the problem you was talking about. The problem was a box as I remember. As you find out the problem with a motor was not caused by shipping from my side, but factory defect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back