• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Vitus bikes compatible with Bafang BBS02 mid-drive motor?

airsquid

100 µW
I've got a BBS02 on its way! But I found out it's going to be more expensive to modify my current non-electric bike to be what I need than to just buy a new bike that has exactly what I need. So I'm exploring my shopping options with a price point in mind - if I can't find what I want in the budget range, I'll put in the price and the work to convert what I have.

Currently, http://vitusbikes.com/products/dee-vr-2017/ this Dee VR from Vitus bikes hits some of my wish lists. (3 speed IGH, hydraulic disc brakes) But I can't find anything that tells me more about the frame size so I know if the BBS02 fits on the bottom bracket. I've got an email to their info contact address, it's just... pending. Has anyone had hands on a Vitus bike and can tell me if the frame fits the BBS02?

Also, this is a cheaper aluminum frame from what I can tell. I'd prefer a steel frame, but I haven't found a bike with a steel frame and also the IGH and hydraulic disc brakes.

Any other drawbacks or considerations I ought to keep in mind doing a build with this bike?
Any better bikes you suggest I look into instead?

I expect that bike to be a good candidate for the BBS02. The specs on the page you linked list the bottom bracket as 68 mm, which is standard. The IGH is a good idea to eliminate chain problems many have encountered with derailleur systems, particularly the cross chaining required for low and/or high gears when you only have one chain ring.

On one aluminum frame bike I converted there was a small ridge inside and at the middle of the bottom bracket that prevented the BBS02 from sliding in. I used an ordinary hole saw on my electric drill to chew the ridge down and then finished the job with a large round file. Even though the BBS02 doesn't use the threads in the bottom bracket, they were not damaged during this modification so the bike could still be converted back to original. Three aluminum trikes I installed BBS02s on did not require any modifications.

Edit: While 3 speeds is adequate for e-bikes when you use the throttle, you may find it is difficult to find the right gear for the right cadence at a given PAS level. Depending on conditions, such as grade and wind, I normally use 3rd, 4th, 5th, or 6th gear (9 speed derailleur on tadpole trike with 26" wheel) when using PAS level 1 for low speed riding, and up the PAS level and gear if I want to go a little faster than 10 MPH. For faster rides, such as 20 MPH, I just use the throttle and 4th gear which lets the little Bafang motor wind up into its happy mode, but of course I can't pedal along then. :D

Back