Was riding my cheap chinese ebike and heard a pop sound, bike stopped working.

Stewartf

1 µW
I was riding my 350watt rear hub motor up a hill and had it in pedal assist one, as I crested the hill I shut off the power at the controls on the handlebars and heard a pretty loud POP noise coming from bike. I think I may have broken something when I shut it off. Anyone have any ideas what it could be? Thank you.

Probably the controller or battery.
Check for something that smells like burnt electronics

Hi, the controller on handlebar still lights up like normal and I can select the pedal assist levels, but nothing happens at all when I pedal.. I took the controller off and couldn't see anything that looked burned out. Could it make a loud noise like that and there wouldn't be anything visible going on? I have a multimeter , I just need to find it.
e

A "POP" could be mechanical or electrical.

Mechanical you'd probably see, or feel, when riding the bike unpowered.

Electrical could be arcing between loose high-current connections. Those are battery-to-controller, and controller-to-motor (phase). If you trace out all the wires from those two things, and carefully examine the connections, you may find arc damage.

If it's arc damage from a loose connection, it could have evaporated part of the contact or wire, and if it's a phase the motor can't run. Sometimes the RF from the arc can damage the controller itself, usually causing FETs to fail, but can kill other parts too.

Hello, I took the battery apart and there was only one fuse. It was between the controller and the battery but was ok. All the wire connections seemed really good. I will probably just order another controller and see if thats the problem. The bike only has like 1000 miles on it. Thank you

Just keep in mind you were earlier talking about display, not a controller. I would check battery voltage before ordering anything.
You might also have a fuse in battery base.

Post your problem here:

Pictures of your setup would be helpful.

Back