West Coast US Events

Farfle said:
Quick question for you scotto, how much do you+bike weigh?

Hey Farfle, quick answer: alot! The bike weighs approx. 110lbs with full tank of gas......I'm at a rather chunky 180lbs less the gas :mrgreen: So right around 290lbs (which is about the same as my old Honda XR600R weighed alone lol).

I gotta say, you build amazing, clean looking, fast bikes.......bikes that have smoked mine on the track at Grange. Very impressive builds indeed.

Sacman said:
Scotto nice ICE bike. How do those Hookworm tires work for you on the track. Are they decent for racing or would you rather be running anything else? And do you run them at full pressure (60psi). Many of us run them here too.

Thanks Sacman.....the Hookworms work flawlessly for me, they are the best tire for asphalt that I have used for racing (both 26" and 24"). I like to run them hard at 50-60psi.....they stick like glue!

And thanks Luke, no prob man.

#3 stinky gasser :wink:

Lebowski said:
liveforphysics said:
GCinDC- The throttle on a Sevcon is buttery smooth torque control. You move the throttle 5%, it just gives you 5% torque, no big snapping hit, just smoothly delivered torque proportional to the throttle position. You could comfortably ride the bike along at 5mph with your grandma on the back. Or you can ask it for a bunch of torque... and you better be prepared to be sliding on your back on the asphalt. But unlike pink-bike, it won't throw you on the asphault when you only asked for 10% throttle, you have to have your wrist ask the bike for it on this machine.

I got the same buttery smooth torque control on my controller build project. I'm kind of afraid people will
have the impression it's a 'weak' controller due to the throttle. I think many people here are
use to a speed type throttle like you have on the pink bike, max torque when the throttle is
open slightly more. With mine you have to open the throttle fully to get the max torque,
giving the feeling its weak because max torque does not come for only a few % more throttle...

Naja, lets see what people think

yes indeed, the minuet you have a really huge amount of torque on tap (usually from a geared motor, maaby from a decent hub in a small wheel) then all of a sudden you NEED torque throttle not speed throttle that we all get lumped with.

but i get what your saying leb, cos i have had pretty much zero success in getting anyone (on the sphere, or face to face) to accept this seemingly obvious fact. :roll:

torque is what you feel throwing your body off the back and this is what the rider needs to be in control of. but from here on i might just link to the above and just say "luke uses torque throttle on his quickest ever bike" , its childish i know.
but i dont think people acctually realise what speed based throttle is really doing and that with a purely speed based throttle, you olny get one milimeter of travel that gets you from 0 to 100% power, and best of all you have to find that particular position as it moves around with the speed of the bike..

Toolman I 100% agree we should have torque throttle. My my china controllers have had a blend its not 100% torque at 1 mm movemnet on my china throttles its more like 50% or something... Because when I turn the throttle 1mm there is a big burst but if I turned it 5 mm there is a bigger burst and 10 mm even more and 100% throttle is the most torque. So they must have been some sort of blend.

I set my brothers E-bmx up with torque throttle and I loved it. It was using the CA as an interface and was not 100% perfact but very close. If you want to be good a floating a long wheely you will need torque throttle.

Lebowski don't worry buddy IM heading for Huge power levels and full throttle when IM done all I have planed will be fast a hell! :)

Isn't it possible to create a torque throttle using the CA, at least with the latest beta version3 if not with previous ones?

This thread:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=32599&start=30
has some discussion of it, conclusion seemed to be that at that time (v2?) it was not quite what was wanted, but that it was better than nothing?

amberwolf said:
Isn't it possible to create a torque throttle using the CA, at least with the latest beta version3 if not with previous ones?

This thread:
has some discussion of it, conclusion seemed to be that at that time (v2?) it was not quite what was wanted, but that it was better than nothing?

The torque throttle on the CA-LRC has made it possible for anyone to ride my bike. Once I explain how the throttle works and how it's like a gas pedal where a little throttle gets you a little power, they jump on and go ride. When I had the infineon on it,no matter how careful I was to explain the throttle, people would get on, push the throttle, immediately asking the bike for ten mph, which it would happily provide...at roughly 5000 watts. It did a few wheelies and bucked a few riders because of this. Speed control throttle is only appropriate for machines that accelerate very slowly.

amberwolf said:

This thread:
Thats what I said I did just above you lol. Works quite well.

I know of 5 ES'ers who will be on the track at Laguna Seca this Sunday, including myself. :) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

liveforphysics said:
I know of 5 ES'ers who will be on the track at Laguna Seca this Sunday, including myself. :) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Have some fun for me too, and everyone stay safe. I do have one question. Are any of you guys going to try to straighten the corkscrew like I used to do going airborne on a playstation during my short stint playing video games last millenium. 8) 8) 8)

John

Another West Coast US Event [OT]

Yesterday in Berkeley, CA:

DSC_9915.JPG

Alan B said:
Palo Alto EV Rally 9/23

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=43775

http://www.mercurynews.com/bay-area-news/ci_21615258/silicon-valley-electric-car-show-leaves-hobbyists-behind

stopped by for a bit at DeAnza.

ELV motors was there with their ebikes,
saw three homemade ebike conversions (2 of the guys are on ES)

Boosted electric skateboard and Gnarboard were there.

Also Lightning with a new production streetbike and the BRD motorcycle. (plus a couple of home made e-motorbikes)

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/2012-lightning-motorcycles-exclusive-first-ride-video-91402.html

The poster - formerly known as Bimoped -- is putting on a motorized bicycle event in SoCal in 3 days; the 20th of October.

Anybody here going?

I will not be wasting my time, energy and $$$ ..just curious to know if anyone else still gives a sh!t about his lame attempt to put out a real race series.

file.php

I'm not interested in his bullsh*t races.

Bairdco's events are a hell of a lot more fun, and he isn't an ebike hater.

Back