• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

What is the most compact ICE motor of 5kW ( 7hp)

Doctorbass

100 GW
I am looking to find the perfect motor to build a 5kW ultra compact generator to cary with a zero motorcycle for long distance . I could use one of these 130kV 7kW turnigy motor combined with it...

Any idea for the compact 7hp ICE ?

Doc

This one look good?

http://www.oneillbrothers.com/rc-ca...zenoah-4-bolt-27-2cc-3mm-long-rod-engine.html

long-rod-engine-27.2cc.jpg

maybe i should take a look on the side of our gas bicycle friends :|

Doc

two-stroke or four stroke?
What kind of crankshaft configuration?
Straight or tapered? Keyed?
1" or larger?

Since this motor will be running a generator, why wouldn't you use a commercial generator?

I understand you want a powerful compact motor, but I'd be really surprised if a racing motor would meet the demands of a constant running generator motor and not overheat or suffer other breakdowns.

More power to you in sourcing your own motor, but I'd think that motor isn't really designed for constant use at peak performance. :)

ICE motors are not anywhere as compact as our electric motors..

If you want the most compact thing, you want a 2 stroke. But that is basically a loud, stinking smoke machine that will sound exactly like a piece of lawn equipment and put out more harmful emissions than a car as you ride along.
4 stroke is pretty clean, much more efficient, but notably bigger and heavier.

One thing you have to consider is that a 1 piston motor is going to create a lot of vibration, so you will have to figure out a way to deal with that.

You seriously might be better off carrying a really big battery consisting of very high wHr/KG / low C rate batteries.

If 114 miles isn't enough range, just add a range extender pack. You're not going more than 114 miles away from the nearest plug anyway are you? Going from near silence to the noisy stinker will something you'll regret almost immediately and wish you went with extra batts.

I've built this power range gas engines my whole life. You have a couple options.

A lot of people are going to to tell you to run a Zenoah g23rc (or similar >30cc) or a clone of that style engine. I don't recommend this route! When those motors make 7hp (pipe, carb, performance head/piston, ect) They are incredibly loud, rev way to high, and even when tuned extremely well they dont run forever. @ 7hp+ they are simply to small of a displacement for the power you want.

When it comes to 7hp needed in a small 2 stroke your best bet is a large 50cc+ commercial back pack blower motor. Almost any of them echo, sthil, redmaxx, ect will make close to 7hp and spin a much more reasonable speed (usually under 8k rpm). Additionally you can retain the stock muffler and probably add more muffler to it. This is not possible with the smaller equipment motors.

IMHO you will never get the noise reduced to the level I would like it with a 2 stroke. Unfortunately there are not many small 4 stroke motors that are optimized for weight, the obvious candidates are the honda mini 4 strokes (gx gxh). Sometimes these motors can be found at reasonable prices on trash pumps.

You could run a Chinese 50cc 4 stroke pit bike motor. I hate to say it but they are reliable, quiet, smooth, correct power, electric start, and cheap. If you wanted a little more power they make this same style motor all the way up to 125cc. This would be bang for the buck buy forsure and you get the added benefit of electric start.

Thanks guys!

That give me a more realistic idea ofwhat that kind of project involve.

The goal would be to be able to use the motorcycle on the highway or a 90km/h road for about 200km.

The zero i'm talking have the 4kWh pack so it's around 30-40 realistic km on the highway.

My guess is that the zero is drawing around 8kW at 100km/h and i can not put a 15kWh pack on it as well.

That's why just for longer distance a generator would be a range extender. if combined with the actual 4kWh for 40km, that mean 1/5 of the energy can be done with the battegry for 200km range so the 8kW required for the generator can be lowered to 4/5 wich is around 6kW.. or 8hp ... well 7 or 8 hp ice could be ok.. ( not calculating the efficiency of the electric generator-motor)...

Doc

You will lose around 50% of the energy of the gas motor converting it to electricity, charging the batteries, the later putting that power back out to the electric motor.

Or put another way, you can increase your efficiency 50% by hooking the gas motor up to the chain instead of a generator. you wouldn't need 8kw anymore. you might be able to get by with a 50cc moped motor.

Drunkskunk said:
You will lose around 50% of the energy of the gas motor converting it to electricity, charging the batteries, the later putting that power back out to the electric motor.

Or put another way, you can increase your efficiency 50% by hooking the gas motor up to the chain instead of a generator. you wouldn't need 8kw anymore. you might be able to get by with a 50cc moped motor.

Yeah.. I thought about that but i would try making an hybrid serie type motorcycle add on

You could also just sell your Zero and buy one of these! :mrgreen:

2.jpg

(I know, like money grows on trees ... but I really think this one is my next dream motorcycle! 8) )

Hybrid is the key right now just like the Prius....

because e bikes on batteries are the bees knees...

so if we can go the distance farther than our bums can fatten -were in and ready for the nonpublic :shock:

relieve the pubic s of range Antonietta and thou relieve them of there "little" nests 8)

The back-pack yard work engines don't make anywhere near 7 hp.

My advice would be to buy a sm. Honda or Robin generator and hop it up to achive your desired out-put.
Modifying is your middle name, no? :lol:

motto meth

your going to have a heard time tiring to change our supreme beliefs...

please try -because im listening to triple hybrid my friend...

and you SUV with your intelligence has a lot of us wathing and listening and admiriring.

most importantly is the trailer for your nega hyrid--

you do man

Why is ICE such a bed named

o - know ICE is a bad name in the quasar...

because ICE is like nazis-,,,

ice is shirt

Doctorbass said:
I am looking to find the perfect motor to build a 5kW ultra compact generator to cary with a zero motorcycle for long distance . I could use one of these 130kV 7kW turnigy motor combined with it...

Any idea for the compact 7hp ICE ?

Doc

Ok, I looked at that engine, your goals and what's available commercially and what you are proposing is a significant challenge.
An off the shelf generator would use a 200 to 250cc 4-cycle engine and weigh more the 50 Kilos.
You seem to have a pretty good handle on the electical side of things :D , so let's look and small powerful engines, something I know a little about.

That little Zenoah certainly a powerhouse, but perhaps a little high strung for your application.
High output 2-cycle engines attain their outstanding power to weight ratio by focusing subsystems[induction, ign., exhaust] to combine over a narrow rpm range[notice the sharp, peaky power-band]. Tuned correctly, max. output is a function of a resonance created by negative exhaust pressure waves boosting the induction flow[fuel and air is heavy].
What this means to your application is that high output 2-cycle engines don't like to run a stationary rpm. They really prefer to be moving up or down the
power band.
And then the is the matter of the fan cooling. I guess it's sufficient, but 2-cycle engines tend to develop "hot-spots. The fuel is a big part of the cooling and jetting is going to be critical. Remember this is a race engine and race engines tend to run best when on the knife-edge. Fall off and they burn-up. And as such[a race engine], I rather doubt you can warranty it.
But the clincher is the fore-mentioned exhaust system, or expansion chamber. Those HP numbers were achieved with one of these bolted on, which they don't show in the picture.

http://www.oneillbrothers.com/rc-car/pipes/jetpro-hpi-baja-5t-pipe.html

Unsilenced no doubt, ouch, ear-splitting.

What you need to do, is stay with a 2-cycle, but trade some more displacement for something running a little more slowly. Something that would be more reliable and less finicky. And something that will meet you requirements without a 2 ft. long snaky pipe that rings like a bell.
But that is not as bad as it sounds. While a 50cc engine will be bigger, it won't be 2X as heavy. The only heavy[steel]parts are the rotating pieces[crank and con rod], the cases, piston, carb, etc are all alum.
So which engine? I have already given you a hint.
I would look at 50cc scooter engines, something like this,

http://www.partsforscooters.com/220-52_Minarelli_Style_1E40QMB_Engine?sc=2&category=77295.

Just like there are times for stealth with Ebikes, there is a need to be stealthy when building a street scooter to fall within the limits of State "moped" laws.
A racing pipe screams "look at me\'.
I've build these to get into the low 40's mph[sorry Doc, old school here, I think in Amer. Standard]with simple bolt-on additions like a big bore piston kit[63cc's], mild porting and a high-compression cylinder head while maintaining the stock, quiet exhaust system. So I'm thinking they must be close to 7 hp.

If you have the time, it's possible to locate crashed scooters. What you do would be to cut off the CVT[belt drive]case. If you buy a new engine, you could sell the new unused parts. There would not be bosses to mount the engine to a horizontal surface, so something would have to be fab'ed there. The shrouded forced-air cooling system is designed to function encased in scooter panels, so no worries there.
The biggest problem again would be the exhaust system. The stock member is constructed of heavy gauge steel, it's a chunk. I know of no light-weight, quiet, untuned mufflers that exist or have been built. Anyone interested in weight reduction would just buy a racing pipe. Since it is untuned[no reflective cones], dimensions would not be critical, only volume. I thinking something welded up from heavy gauge alum with lots of sound absorbing material[fiberglass]inside. Perhaps one baffle.
If this is a route you want to explore, let me know. I can supply you links, engine models, appropriate hop-up parts and modifications.
Piece of cake for me.

EDIT-check out Arlo's earlier gas/electric scooter conversions to get an idea of the size and construction of the core engines[the guy is a heck of a machinist, welder, fabricator].

Ya know, you might want to just get a regular gasoline motorcycle.
It will make better use of gasoline than this generator idea. You'll get the maximum efficiency and lowest emissions out of it.

I saw a 7kW generator today and it was quite large. No idea how you'd get that on a motorcycle without drastically hurting your weight/aesthetics.

You would lose a lot of power to the gas > electricity phase. This is why plugin hybrid cars use a mechanical linkage from the gas engine rather than use it to charge the batteries..

But you only have 1 gear ratio on the motorcycle, so that's kind of a problem..

Maybe a much smaller generator running at all times would be better, like 2 hp.
Turn it on at about half charge to extend your range some.
You still waste gas somewhat, but it would fit.

I'd still go with the more pure option.. and forget this hybrid nonsense which just gets heavy, complex, and expensive.

I think if you expand your thinking to a trike this project becomes much more feasible.

Doc,
If you could reduce your power requirements a bit, you could think about using one of these,

http://www.stihl.com/werksfuehrung/motorenmontage/default.htm

Anyone who has run a big Stihl chainsaw knows that these things just RIP!
The most powerful model would be the Bad Boy gas Chop Saw that Emergency responders use to cut people out of smashed cars In terms of power to weight ratio, these engines cannot be beat!

A chainsaw would almost be plug and play. Remove the chain and bar, figure out a way to bolt it to something and machine an adapter to attach your rotating mass to the small, splined crankshaft. Maybe keep the centrifugal clutch and weld a steel adapter to the clutch housing. It would have to be precisely centered to prevent vibration.

Attachments

• titelbild.jpg
    titelbild.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 1,574
It might work to directly couple the ICE to the wheel, then use the electric motor in regen mode to absorb any excess power (like going downhill). This might keep the efficiency higher than a series hybrid approach and eliminates the need for a generator.

Big thank motomech for all your advices. The chainsaw seem a good idea!.

I recall that the main idea here is to try to make the same system as the volt is using wich is a SERIE HYBRID .. so the ICE is only used in a very narrow band rpm to boost his efficiency and this let it to be used with a generator wich dont need a variating RPM.

I think ICE , if are properly tuned in a narrow rpm become more efficient right?

The idea of 7hp is to be able to have constant power for the highway (90-100km/h)

but if 7hp require too big motor, than i might just lower the speed requirement and forget about the highway and manage to make long distance on the 90kmh road at 70-90kmh speed wich would require less power... and probably a 5hp would be ok.

I want the motorcycle to stay independent to that system and not be permanently installed so if i want to go 100% electric, than i dont bring that generator with me...

Now where to locate it... hmmm... maybe back to me on the seat with some removable bracket?

I dont care for the sound, at 80kmh, the wavefront of the sound of this motor back to me combined with the wind pressure should reduce the sound spectrum i can hear from this motor...

Doc

Interesting doc. A 7-8kw ICE motor is going to be rater big. But you can find a powerfull chain saw and set it up some how. The ouput is already a chain drive and it has a clutch. Find a 2 stroke because they have more power/size and weight! Other wise maybe a small generator??? I always thought about having a honda EU 1000 running constantly and slowly charging my batteries. The thing with a inverter gen set they are compact and only run as high as they need to keep up with the load. You can also have the generator running while you are stoped and slowing down so it will be able to be undersized a fair bit as long as there is stops if its continous Highway then you need the full 7-8kw....

The wankel is a nice compact quiet vibration free engine to use as a range extender. Also can run on any fuel including hydrogen with laser ignition.

Back